User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 77
  1. #1
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default [BAM]Malaysia in danger of missing Thomas Cup Finals

    Malaysia in danger of missing Thomas Cup Finals

    Saturday, 07 Jan 2012

    By RAJES PAUL

    There is a growing fear that Malaysia may suffer the humiliation of not qualifying for the Thomas Cup Finals for the first time ever.

    The defeat of the country’s top men’s doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong by Taiwanese Fang Chieh-min-Lee Sheng-mu in the Korean Open on Thursday certainly does not offer much optimism. Given the duo’s wretched form, Malaysia can only count on Lee Chong Wei for the Thomas Cup qualifiers in Macau from Feb 13-19.

    Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong’s winless run is certain proof that the beleaguered pair cannot be depended on for a point. To make matters worse, the inconsistency of the back-up players has further dimmed Malaysia’s prospect of making the cut for the 12-team Finals.

    Without much depth in the team, a big question mark has been raised whether Malaysia can win one of the four tickets available in the qualifying tournament.

    China are assured of a berth by virtue of being the defending champion and hosts of the Finals, which will be held in Wuhan from May 20-27. The other tickets for the Finals go to Europe (four), Oceania (1), Africa (1) and Pan-America (1).

    In the battle among the Asian teams, it is clear that South Korea, Indonesia and Japan have better depth than Malaysia. This means Malaysia will have to fight with Taiwan, Hong Kong and India for the last spot.

    A desperate Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have indicated that they are willing to open up the selection to non-BAM players to come up with the best possible team.

    BAM general manager Kenny Goh said: “All the national singles and doubles coaches have been instructed to select the best players for the qualifying tournament in Macau. We are even willing to open the selection to players who are not part of the BAM set-up.”

    This means non-BAM players like Wong Choong Hann, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming, Zulfadli Zulkifli, Gan Teik Chai, Tan Bin Shen, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari could make the squad for badminton’s most prestigious team event.

    “BAM will be sending the best team for the qualifiers. It does not matter whether the players are in or out of the BAM set-up. The coaches have been asked to pick the best players available. They may even want one of the doubles players for the singles if they show the potential,” said Kenny.

    “We are confident that the team will qualify for the Finals and, as usual, we are looking at every aspect to ensure that we only send the best to the competition,” he added.

    For most of the players vying for the spot – both the back-up and former internationals – the Maybank Malaysia Open, which starts on Tuesday with the qualifying tournament at Putra Stadium, will be the final platform to impress the national coaches.

    This will certainly raise the standard of the competition in this year’s home tournament.

    All countries have to acknowledge their interest to compete in the qualifiers to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) by Jan 10. They must name their 10-man squads by Jan 24.

    At for the Uber Cup Finals, which will also be held in Wuhan, the weakened national women’s team can virtually forget about winning one of three tickets up for grabs.

    Courtesy of The Star

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i officially declare that malaysia need a miracle to qualify for the finals

  3. #3
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    i don't think Malaysia needs a miracle to beat Taiwan, if it comes down to that.

    this is Thomas Cup. Malaysia will have problem beating Taiwan in Uber or Sudirman Cup, however.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Desperate is a good word. It brings up a few points.

    1) Let me think...wasn't there a time when BAM actually chose the third ranked MD pair to attend the world championship. The second ranked pair were an independent pair

    2) there is an independent player who is banned from Asian tournaments.

    3) sounds like the KKK/TBH pairing have hit a block and taken their partnership as far as it can go. Would a change of partners be appropriate for tactics?

  5. #5
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    a lot will depend on the draw and the tournament format.

    does anyone happen to know what tournament format will the qualification be in?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    KG (1 of 3 stooges) 'willing to open selection to non-BAM players' NOW...that is desperation at the utmost to save their skin to avoid a 1st time exit from TC finals after all, the 3 stooges have been running this ship to the ground and abusing their powers when it came to selecting players to WC11. Other countries can blame lacking funds, not BAM for sure and what to show for - 1 lone 29-yr old world class MS player and that is about it folks. And still business as usual, tidak apa attitude...Malaysian badminton is so screwed by these 3 clowns and the circus continues....amazing.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looks like a funding cut is on the cards for BAM. Would Ong Ewe Hock respond to emergency call?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,734
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxytdn View Post
    Malaysia in danger of missing Thomas Cup Finals

    Saturday, 07 Jan 2012

    By RAJES PAUL

    A desperate Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have indicated that they are willing to open up the selection to non-BAM players to come up with the best possible team.

    BAM general manager Kenny Goh said: “All the national singles and doubles coaches have been instructed to select the best players for the qualifying tournament in Macau. We are even willing to open the selection to players who are not part of the BAM set-up.”
    This means non-BAM players like Wong Choong Hann, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming, Zulfadli Zulkifli, Gan Teik Chai, Tan Bin Shen, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari could make the squad for badminton’s most prestigious team event.

    “BAM will be sending the best team for the qualifiers. It does not matter whether the players are in or out of the BAM set-up. The coaches have been asked to pick the best players available. They may even want one of the doubles players for the singles if they show the potential,” said Kenny.

    “We are confident that the team will qualify for the Finals and, as usual, we are looking at every aspect to ensure that we only send the best to the competition,” he added.

    For most of the players vying for the spot – both the back-up and former internationals – the Maybank Malaysia Open, which starts on Tuesday with the qualifying tournament at Putra Stadium, will be the final platform to impress the national coaches.

    This will certainly raise the standard of the competition in this year’s home tournament.

    Courtesy of The Star
    I hope Chris has read this post, especially the highlighted text. He has been trying to accuse BAM of discriminating against the independent players, which is not true.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I hope Chris has read this post, especially the highlighted text. He has been trying to accuse BAM of discriminating against the independent players, which is not true.
    Loh, that is not my interpretation of the highlighted sentence. In fact, it confirms that they have not been willing to accept independent players in the past and only now consider them because of desperation.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,734
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Loh, that is not my interpretation of the highlighted sentence. In fact, it confirms that they have not been willing to accept independent players in the past and only now consider them because of desperation.
    You may be right, but the fact that BAM is now willing to consider independent players is a move in the right direction and this will stop those who said that BAM is biased. If you look at the independent players as listed (except ZZ), most if not all of them were from the BAM stable before.

  11. #11
    Regular Member undeadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    马来西亚
    Posts
    8,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, it might surprise most of the normal Malaysians but most of us in BC are already aware of this...

    After MAS men's defeat to Japan in TC 2010 and Thailand to AG 2010, we know that we are hopeless in team events...

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    You may be right, but the fact that BAM is now willing to consider independent players is a move in the right direction and this will stop those who said that BAM is biased. If you look at the independent players as listed (except ZZ), most if not all of them were from the BAM stable before.
    Yes. Considering independent players is a move in the right direction.

    Does that mean BAM will have less bias in the future? Sorry, that remains to be proven.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i don't think Malaysia needs a miracle to beat Taiwan, if it comes down to that.

    this is Thomas Cup. Malaysia will have problem beating Taiwan in Uber or Sudirman Cup, however.
    beside lcw,i cant see they win any point in the rest of the game

    thailand can beat mas again 3-1 or 3-2,no problem
    japan 100% beat mas also
    not to mention korea,indonesia and china

    the chance of winning 1st ms and 2 md is less than 1%

  14. #14
    Regular Member Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am watching the SEA games in 2011. Badminton of course.
    Malaysia only sending their amateur squad for team event. Meanwhile, both Thailand and Indonesia sending their full squad.
    Amazingly, Malaysia qualified for the final round of team event against Indonesia. I don't remember the result of the final. What can you deduce from that?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i am watching malaysia open 2012 which indicate the latest progress of player
    no need to mention ina,korea,china who mas sure lose

    mas vs chinese taipei
    lcw vs hsu jen hao
    hafiz vs hsueh hsuan yi,high probability hafiz lost,80%
    liew daren vs chou tien chen,65% chou will win
    koo/tan vs lee/fang,they just beat koo/tan
    goh/lim vs chen/lin,65% chinese taipei will win

    mas vs japan
    lcw vs sho sasaki
    hafiz vs kenichi tago
    liew daren vs kazushi yamada
    koo/tan vs hirokatsu/hirata
    goh/lim vs naoki/sato

    mas vs thailand
    lcw vs boonsak ponsana
    hafiz vs tanongsak
    liew daren vs suppanyu
    koo/tan vs bodin/jongjit
    goh/lim vs songphon/sudket,50%- 50%

    see? or anyone think suddenly koo/tan found their form?
    hafiz yoyo up?
    goh/lim play their best game ever?
    liew daren suddenly wake up?
    how high the probability all the thing above will happen togather?0.000001?

  16. #16
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,734
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Yes. Considering independent players is a move in the right direction.

    Does that mean BAM will have less bias in the future? Sorry, that remains to be proven.
    To be fair to BAM we should applaud them for making this first 'liberalisation' move.
    The future is difficult to predict and it has to depend on circumstances then prevailing. But let's hope MAS will always be represented by the best available players.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpue
    Posts
    1,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MAS official Thomas Cup Team

    Mens Team members:

    Lee Chong Wei
    Mohammad Hafiz Hashim
    Daren Liew
    Arif Latif
    Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong
    Goh "V" Shem/Lim Khim Wah
    Hoon Thien How
    Teo Kok Siang

    Women Team members:
    Tee Jing Yi
    Lydia Cheah Li Ya
    Sonia Cheah Su Ya
    Sannatasah SANIRU
    Wong Pei Thy/Chin Ee Hui
    Vivian Hoo Kah Mun/Woon Khe Wei
    Goh Liu Ying/Lim Yin Loo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [BAM] Missing out on Thomas Cup Finals no big deal, say BAM
    By rogerv2 in forum Thomas / Uber Cup Preliminary Round 2012
    Replies: 96
    : 02-17-2012, 04:43 AM
  2. Thomas Cup Finals: Perfect start for Malaysia
    By ants in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006
    Replies: 3
    : 04-29-2006, 01:48 AM
  3. Build-up to Thomas Cup Finals: Vow to do Malaysia proud
    By ants in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006
    Replies: 0
    : 04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
  4. BADMINTON/Thomas Cup: Malaysia cruise into finals
    By ants in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006
    Replies: 0
    : 02-17-2006, 06:48 PM
  5. NEWS : Danish danger in Thomas Cup
    By kwun in forum Thomas/Uber Cups 2004
    Replies: 0
    : 03-15-2004, 08:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •