BG80 tension on VT80 3U

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dollargood, Feb 1, 2012.

1. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Anyone string at 27-29lbs? I only use BG66 27lbs, wanted to try BG80 at 27lbs, wonder performance wise is better?

2. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I personally use 28LB on VT80 3U.

Whether performance is better is very much subjective and dependent on your style of play and preference.

Note that BG66 is a medium feeling string and BG80 is a hard feeling string with a rough surface. I have come across quite a handful of people still swearing by BG66 over BG66Ultimax and never liked BG80. Key differences imho:

Repulsion: Excellent (BG80 = BG66)
    Durability: BG80 slightly better than BG66. However both are not considered durable
    Hitting Sound: BG80 slightly better than BG66
    Shock Absorption: BG66 is better and slightly more forgiving than BG80. But some pple love BG80's hard and explosive feel
    Control: BG66 is better
    Tension Retention: Both are fine (~-2LB in a month of 2hrs a week at least)

I personally feel at 28LB, both strings perform admirably well. I like the thinner BG66 as it has better control and feel. BG80 has a loud hitting sound that is unrivaled. Maybe BG66Ultimax is on par in that aspect. If i suddenly prefer to do some mindless smashing with a hard impact feel in a small hall then i will miss having BG80. Only way to tell is to try it for yourself.

3. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Do you feel more impact on smashes or just the sound of bg80?
    Smash with same power strenght, which string more impact?

4. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

:D Imho BG80 has a mere minute edge over BG66. It's more of which feel do you prefer, which is differentiated by its gauge, coating and hardness. I am one who likes both strings and i feel the edge is negligible. Imo, outta so many strings i have played, BG80, BG66, BG66U, NBG98 are one of the most repulsive strings out there.

I see you are already using a stiff and rather head heavy VT80. Is it the right weapon for you? A common misconception is that the more head heaviness and stiffness the more power. True for those with the right technique, timing and style who can flex the shaft. And why didnt Fu Haifeng use such a weapon? Instead he uses an even balanced, medium flexible Kason F9. Because his swing which uses a fare share of his upper arm pronation is suited for such a flexi weapon. Strong upper arm swing can flex a mid flex racket by a huge margin and spank the shuttle down like a catapult.

5. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

well said! i recently increase my bg80s from 24lbs to 26 lbs on my at700. so its always an adjustment with harder tensions, its whatever helps you work the shuttle better, whether its a lower or higher tension.

6. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    i use BG80 27lbs on my arcsaber 103U, BG66UM 27lbs on my VT-80 4U LTD