how to lose weight

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcll99, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i am 38 years.old. Chinese. 6 feet tall. waist is at 38cm... weight 179lbs. blood pressure high.. i sit at a desk and/or in front of TV all day.

please tell me what to do!!!

2. Aphelion-

Aphelion- Regular Member

i would suggest you to start with daily running, it doesn't have to be sprint and such, in fact running for long time burns more fat than running in max speed for a short time. depending on your situation, is ok to start with 30-1h of power walk per day, then one week later, start slow running etc...
    since you post in the forum, it mean that you play badminton or is interest in badminton, just by playing badminton ( by playing i mean, actually doing step and such to catch up to the birdie, not standing still and hit the bird ) is going to make you lose a lots of weight.

P.S : Don't eat before sleeping :D

3. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    To suggest some more stuff,

Please eat around 8PM at latest, and no midnight snacks. You should have at least 2 hours of digesting time before you actually sleep.

Losing weight itself has to do with legs, arms, and core. The basics work the best. Do something that will do a lot of damage in a short time, instead of lengthening it out. Try doing push-ups or planks. If you can't do the traditional push-up, do knee push-ups and if you can't do that, against a edge, do a wall push-up. Try not to push yourself too much. Walking around and breathing correctly will do you wonders. In with your nose out with your mouth.

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i think the answer is to not sit in front of tv all day.

try getting out more or watching tv while on the threadmill.

just slowly increase your activities and you'll lose weight as long as you keep your food intake the same or less / better quality :D

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

don't bother when you eat!

bother what you eat! and get your a** up!

to lose weight, you have to have a calorie deficit. that means:

less eating, more training!

6. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

The most effective way is to cut down sugar, salt and fat consumption. Running can be harsh on aging or overweight people's knees. Swimming, cycling & dancing are good exercises.

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If your waist is only 38 cm, you better gain some weight to get up it to 38 inches. :D

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    hahaha.. :p

9. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Be more active, go swim, go run.

I'm roughly 170 centimeters tall, I was 72KG last christmas, and I decide to lose weight then I do the above, now I'm at 67KG after big dinner.

Just need to work them off, if you stay active for 2 weeks, your weight will drop tremendously, then you keep it up. Losing weight is not hard, it's gaining weight that always gets me.

10. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Are you one of those who watch but never play badminton? Playing badminton is by far one of the most effective ways to lose weight.

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Lee Chong Wei must be an insult to you.

A friend of mine lost weight immediately after a week of not having a lovely wife at the dinner table (she had work to do overseas for three month, they're still married). Eating less works. Eating healthy, too. But don't expect dramatic changes.

I've been to sauna and see people as they are and I can tell the only guy that got down dramatically was a guy who began running long distance races.

Oh, by the way ... join clubs and meet people. That gets you out and away from the TV.

I'm ultra lean, I belong to the almost extinct group in the Western world that wants to GAIN weight, but cannot ... I have a heightened and fast metabolism, my muscles burn everything so fast, I virtually have no fat. My blood tests show a tremendously good reading on this. My doctor's patients would pay a high price for these blood readings.

So, instead for asking to loose weight ... what to do to gain weight?

12. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Im 18, weigh 176 but have a waist of 31. I did running to lose weight, and do less on the beers, carbohydrates.

13. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

I have done extensive research on this topic.
    Please read this article: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1526539

In the article it mentions something called high intensity interval training (HIIT). This type of exercise will help raise your resting metabolism rate. In essence, you will burn more calories while doing nothing than you would before doing the exercise. If you can keep this metabolism rate up you will be more effective in being calorie deficient, which in turn will help you burn through the fat stores.

HIIT is a form of cardiovascular workout, so it will help strengthen your heart and make your blood vessels more supple. In the long run, it can help you lower your blood pressure.

What I find most effective was putting the HIIT after my strength training regiment.
    For strength training tips refer to this article: http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie

Strength training doesn't mean you will become Mr. Universe. That is body building. You will increase your quality of life when follow some tips outlined in the mensjournal article.

If you are serious about losing weight, getting fit. And you have the conviction and determination to go through with it. Feel free to send me a pm with your email. I can get in touch with you and see if I can design a program for you. I'm not a certified personal trainer. But I have done a lot of research on the topic to be fairly confident of the information/advice I give.

Please don't waste my time though. PM me only if you will stick it out to the end, because you have to make some sacrifices and put in the hardwork to lose weight and get fit.

There are no shortcuts.

Hardwork
    Sweat and pain

14. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

To gain weight, you should try to slowly increase your caloric intake. With a long term goal of doubling your caloric intake.

Doing strength training that builds muscles will help as well (http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie the portion about high weight, low rep)

The general population have under developed leg muscles (posterior chain especially), shoulders and lats. If you focus on these three areas (but note: do not do isolation exercises) you can potentially increase your weight and functional muscle mass by 5-10 kgs, depending on how much you eat.
    Three exercises that will help: squats, clean and press, and chin/pull ups.
    You will easily find videos on youtube that will show you the proper form.

Eating things with citric acid before protein intake (whether in the form of protein shakes or "real" food) will also aid in protein absorption at a cellular level.

15. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Hi!

I've been trying lots of diets again and again for about a decade and ended up being almost obsessed with what I eat and how much I eat. However, it didn't really work for me, maybe I'm not strict enough. I'm 1.88m and I used to weigh 97kg. Now I weigh about 80kg. How did I finally manage that? I discovered badminton! I tried other sportive activities before, e.g. running. Certainly they are a good way to lose weight. But they don't help much if you only do them because you think you *have* to do them in order to lose weight (and not because they mean fun to you) - because if you are not really strict, you can hardly do them a few times a week. For me it was different with badminton: Even though it was frustrating at the beginning (because of poor technique), it was so much fun, so I kept playing badminton not to lose weight but because I got addicted somehow. Now I play 5 days a week, and I don't have to be too strict with myself regarding what I eat.

Finally, I don't want to tell you: "Play badminton and it will all change." It depends on your preferences - find the sports you like so much that you want to do them as often as possible. I would almost guarantee that it will work, especially if you do them after work instead of watching TV (which I used to do - and which I preferred to combine with food, which was not good). Food selection is also important, but when it doesn't have to be too strict (thanks to lots of sports), it won't reach a frustrating level.

Hope I could help. :)

16. Swift Freeze

Swift Freeze Regular Member

Student
    <BR><BR>Weight can be the result of many factors.<BR><BR>Having a low metabolism can increase the liklihood of people feeling they are over the weight they want to be, because their bodies do not burn calories as quickly as some others.<BR><BR>Diet, intake of food and types of food can have a large impact on what your body ultimately ends up doing with the food it digests. "You are what you eat", so eat well.<BR><BR>Exercise, the amount of exercise you get whether it is aerobic or anaerobic. Aerobic is the creation of fuel for your body and cells to use via the use of oxygen. Anaerobic is the creation of fuel for your body and cells to use via the stored fat and energy in your body.<BR><BR><BR><STRONG>Diet<BR><BR></STRONG>Make sure you have breakfast every day. If you are getting up and eating breakfast, you are setting your digestive system to start burning calories all day long.<BR><BR>Make sure you are eating a decent sized lunch meal.<BR><BR>Make sure you are eating a decent sized Dinner and try to start eating no later than 19:30.<BR><BR>When you are eating, take 30 minutes to finish the meal, this is the amount of time it takes for your stomach to register that it actually has food in it and that you are full.<BR><BR>Things to concentrate on eating, are foods high in fibre. Fibre will help you shed excess weight and keep your digestive system in good health.<BR><BR>Foods to focus on eating, Wholegrains, Pasta, Rice, Bread, Cereals,&nbsp;Fruit and Veg of almost all sorts, red peppers, peas, spinach&nbsp;Lentils, Pulses and Beans, Lean white meat, Chicken, Turkey, and Fish, Eggs.<BR><BR>As often as possible, have Ice cold drinks, because your body has to warm everything up to a certain temperature to digest it. The more you ask your body to do this, the more calories it burns warming it up. So drink Ice cold water with ice cubes in.<BR><BR>Breakfast - Eat a wholegrain cereal and try to have a piece of fruit, orange, clementine, banana, strawberries. Doesn't matter, fruit and cereal.<BR><BR>Lunch - Depending on your schedule Lunch should be the largest meal of your day, Wholegrain base, brown rice, pasta, quinoa, sweet potatoes. Decent mix of veg, 2 or 3 types roughly 80g of each type. Lean meat, chicken, fish or turkey.<BR><BR>Dinner - Depending on your schedule should consist of a smaller Lunch, which may be wholegrain, brown bread, based or rice, pasta, quinoa etc. again. If sandwich based, a good mix is key, have some veg etc. lettuce, spinach, peppers, sweetcorn etc. with your lean meat base. Try to Stay away from red meat and cheese heavy sandwiches. Egg and Cress are fine etc.<BR><BR>You may eat Dinner as Lunch and vice versa due to work and time constraints.<BR><BR>You should aim to eat at least 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day. Apples, Pears, Bananas, Assorted Berries, Clementines, Oranges etc. You can mix these in between the meals as snacks.<BR><BR>You should aim to have at least 1 large meal, dinner or lunch whichever it happens to be, of red meat per week depending on your lifestyle. The Iron and other minerals in Red meat are useful for repairing damage caused by impact. So things such as walking, running, sport playing. Anything where your body is impacting the ground. If you are particularly athletic and run a lot or a lot of impact sport you may wish to try 2 meals a week. Make sure you Buy lean red meat, lean beef etc.<BR><BR>Don't avoid eating chocolate, allow yourself treats, try and stick to dark chocolate as it is actually good for you.<BR><BR>Key Points.<BR><BR>Drink Ice cold Waters / Squash / Juice<BR><BR>Wholegrain Carbs, Brown - Bread, Rice, Pasta, Quinoa, other grains.<BR><BR>Fruit and Veg - Eat good amounts, 3 pieces of fruit per day and 2-3 80g portions of veg with your main meal. And Veg in your sandwiches if you have them.<BR><BR>Meats - Stick to Lean white meats, Chicken, Turkey, Fish. 1 or 2 red meat main meals per week depending on amount of impact activity.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Exercise - Star Drills, if you haven't heard of them, you should do them. Preferably Squash Star Drills.<BR><BR>The footwork is relatively simple, for the left two corners for right handed people, right, left, right into lunge and swing the racket ghosting the backhand drive shot. The right two corners, Left, right, left into lunge and swing racket ghosting the forehand drive shot. Return to the middle after each corner. This works your whole core stability by keeping low to the ground while moving. Lunging for legs, balance and core again. Swinging for upper body. The changes in momentum to come back to the centre will help you burn more calories than simply running in a treadmill combined with the lunging and racket swinging is effectively light weight training, body weight + racket weight in those movements to help increase calories burned.<BR><BR>You do not need a squash court to do this on, only and open area roughly the size of a squash court. You can start easy and work up to do say 10 in a row and then set a time limit to complete a certain number in. Increase intensity as your ability improves.<BR><BR>Eating better foods in conjunction with exercise will improve your metabolism also.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    try something new. Coffee enema. Am sure you will loose those weights. ;)