Quickie video. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dimcorner, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I would call myself a C player. I'm the one in white sleeveless.
    10:30-10:50 section is fun :)

Let me know what you guys think!

2. Mr Norak

Mr Norak Regular Member

I see no video.

3. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

[video=youtube;a-o5eMKON1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o5eMKON1I&hd=1 [/video]
    You sir are right!
    My bad.

4. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

one thing I noticed right away is that you don't use/move your left arm. your left arm should also move to keep your balance. keep both arms up when defending/ready position. and be natural but mindful of your left arm as you around the court (and not just drag it like dead weight)

5. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Noted. Use my strong hand more often.

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    obviously, you are a good standard player. but since it is only a practice match , we cant judge your speed and movement around court. Technically good, Footwork good. With your jump smash , it does not look natural and look off balance this is one of those shot you need to have a perfect technique/footwork/timing, otherwise you will be ending up injuring yourself. Dont force it as when you land your knees or ankle might give way. When it is natural , you would transfer more power to the shuttle ...from your legs, hip and upperbody. There is a very good video on youtube on jump smash by Rasmussen that would help you.

7. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Thanks for some positive feedback!

Yeah the jump smash I only picked up about 1 year ago so it's definitely not natural. I don't have anyone to run drills with me here so I don't get to fine tune timing much. I feel like I'm jumping too late and taking the shuttle too far back. BTW i'm 35 and only started playing seriously at about 23 years of age.

I'll try to concentrate on relaxing more on the jump smashes. I think part of the reason I don't have a full follow thru as well is that I take the shuttle too far back (basically right over me). Need to tweak to contact a bit more in front.

I played maybe 5 tournaments in my life and I have never jump smashed in them except for my last one where I tried a few against weaker opponents just to try.

8. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Your jump smash is good and you get great height with the jump,( powerful and steep) , but the main concern is that if you continue to jump smash (JS) with the inappropriate technique , you could injure yourself and force to retire early. With the correct technique and a smoother action , I can guarantee that the power on your JS's would further increase by 20%. In addition, you would be able to play the sport until you are 70 and beyond.

is definitely worth considering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyadwjS9HdI

Should not take you long to modify your action!!!

9. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Man that is a very nice video. I'll put some time aside to practice and tape it later to see how it look like.

10. trapatoni

trapatoni Regular Member

students
    dont spin your racket too mch man :)

11. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Yeah it's a nervous tick I have I guess so I know where my grip is at.
    That one I don't know if I can fix :)

12. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Have you perfected the jump smash as shown in the video yet?

13. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

It's getting better. I'm still trying to coordinate the left arm rotation. I'm making active efforts to just keep doing it. I'm going to a nice gym on Saturday and will take updated video for comparison.

So far I have changed the following...

I don't twirl my racquet AS much :)
    I started to put my left hand up a little more when up at net.
    Squaring off a little more when receiving smash.
    When smashing put out my left arm to facilitate rotation of shoulders into smash (power increased by quite a bit with this one).
    When jumping take the shuttle a little more in front and use arms for rotation.

Lots of changes, but need repetition to get it into habit. I think I can also drop about 5 lbs to 140lbs to help on the jump... :) I'm running about 4 miles once a week at a 8:20-8:35 pace per mile. Lots of work to do!

14. fnaibaf

fnaibaf Regular Member

You seem a little too static(to me), in mens doubles you wanna be a little "bouncy", on the balls of your feet, split stepping(loading your knees and ankles)to spring for that net kill. I know it isn't competitive but better to cultivate a right habit during friendly matches, then it is during a competition.

Also your footwork, getting to the correct point of impact for your jump smashes... I'd do some agility training for getting there and lotta of drilling for choosing the right impact point. Your left hand can also be used to roughly aim(apart from being a rotation facilitator), I normally take my jump smashes at a slightly steeper angle but tt depends on the individual.

Nice play!

15. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    hi , could you tell us or show us how you did that shot at 10.30-10.50 ? thanks

16. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Just hold the shot a little longer as you move forward and then give it a light tap. You have to get comfortable with the shuttle being closer to you. I have been hitting drops or pushes most of the match so you throw this in to keep them honest if they start trying to jump the return.

I have a forehand side one as well :)

17. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    The thing that I really noticed is that your offensive play is pretty good but you could perhaps improve on your defensive play. So instead of defending their smashes back with a half court lift try to seize the initative back with either of flat drive return/very high lift to the back of the court or a short block/tumbling net shot return.

18. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Updated video. I'm in blue.
    I noticed that I need to get back up to attack after I do a net push. (sigh... so many things to fix)

I think I'm improving at least a little each time (at least I feel that way).
    BTW I'm standing wider now to return smashes, but am I standing too wide?

[video=youtube;xbiTraS8Pcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbiTraS8Pcw&feature=g-upl[/video]

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

When you do have a wide base, I think it is fine, although...

You miss out the split pretty often when you are on the defensive (e.g. 6.18, 6.40).

You are very upright during your movement around court, but you aren't under pressure most of the time.

I liked your front court movement. I think you should re-consider how you serve - you go from racket at your side to service in 1sec. There is no preparatory pause anywhere which I think is essential for a consistent serve. Consider this: In every sport where the player totally controls the shot, and the timing of the shot, you will find that there is a pause e.g. golf swing, e.g. snooker stroke, e.g. tennis serve, e.g. dart throw.

Your jump smash seems to be all arm - no useof rotation/abs.

20. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Yeah that jump smash is still a work in progress.

About the serve, you are correct. It was a choice to serve fast but I do see your point and agree with your logic. Initially I do quick serves to give opponent little time to figure out the serve but at more advanced levels I think consistency is more important than the deception.

Split step. So you mean to load up the legs basically by doing a up-down/mini-hop movement in the same spot?