User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    if you play a dropshot into the net and the pro already stands there, he will not pick up the shuttle, but let you come to the net and flick it over to his side. that's how professionals do it...
    I've been told: if you hit the shuttle into the net, then it's your job to pick it up (not just for professionals).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course it is your job!

but if my opponent hits into the net and i already stand there, i just take the shuttle so that he doesn't have to walk to the front and give it to me. that's just friendly behaviour.

if the competition gets harder, you let the opponent do his job and give you the shuttle. pros always do that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u guys must be kidding right? there's no way i'll be using my rackets to scoop shuttles on concrete or wooden floors. it's a neat trick, but be sure to try it on rubber mats first. Especiallly if you are a beginner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why that? i don't get it...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My racket has hardly any contact with the floor when picking up the shuttle. You don't need to ram your racket into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just knowing i might scratch the rackets i purchased from hard earned money, keeps me from scooping shuttles from rough surfaces.
    Besides, it won't improve your net play by that much. Rather, practices and games will do that for you. As for clashes, it's unavoidable in badminton doubles, so i don't sweat on it.
    Yeah. I know how to scoop shuttles. Even using backhands. I just don't practise it on rough surfaces. Too preciousssss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phili View Post
    My racket has hardly any contact with the floor when picking up the shuttle. You don't need to ram your racket into the ground.
    that's true skill. not scooping

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    Just knowing i might scratch the rackets i purchased from hard earned money, keeps me from scooping shuttles from rough surfaces.
    Besides, it won't improve your net play by that much. Rather, practices and games will do that for you. As for clashes, it's unavoidable in badminton doubles, so i don't sweat on it.
    Yeah. I know how to scoop shuttles. Even using backhands. I just don't practise it on rough surfaces. Too preciousssss.
    ok, i never play on such rough surfaces. but picking up shuttles from a wooden floor or common sports-gym surfaces doesn't scratch your racket. some micro-scratches in the paint at most, and seriously: that's the least problem i have. rackets scratch and get paint chips by playing, so some mini-scratches won't bother me at all...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smautf View Post
    ...agree.

BTW I was once told by a coach that (having scooped up the shuttle) you should always return it to your opponent OVER the net, and not hit it along the floor or pass it under the net as many do. Anyone else ever been instructed to do this? I don't see this very often here in the UK.

Tx,

smautf
    I always return the birdies over the net. There are a bunch of old guys (looks like mid-40s to 50s) that just use their racquets to flick the birdie from their side to my side under the net. It annoys the **** out of me. I don't get what's so hard about scooping up the birdie with their rackets and hit it to me so that I can catch it. After a while, I just gave up and I do the same thing back to them and make them pick up the birdies. If they're going to be rude towards me, then I'm going to be rude towards them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    u guys must be kidding right? there's no way i'll be using my rackets to scoop shuttles on concrete or wooden floors. it's a neat trick, but be sure to try it on rubber mats first. Especiallly if you are a beginner.
    That's why I no longer play badminton in a facility that utilizes wooden floors. The only way I'll do so is if I get to use someone else's racket.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    ok, i never play on such rough surfaces. but picking up shuttles from a wooden floor or common sports-gym surfaces doesn't scratch your racket. some micro-scratches in the paint at most, and seriously: that's the least problem i have. rackets scratch and get paint chips by playing, so some mini-scratches won't bother me at all...
    A micro-scratch is a scratch. To be honest, I never really paid attention to it because my AT800 DE is pretty banged up. There could be tiny little stones/rocks that gets on to the floor as a result of people coming in from the outside. I find that in those facilities, not everyone wear court shoes so some will utilize the same shoes that they used walking outside the badminton facility. At the dedicated badminton facilities, I always have to wear court shoes and they are obviously cleaner because I don't wear them outside so the floor mat tends to be cleaner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    I once heard someone say that being able to scoop up shuttles is about having a loose grip and controlling the racket with your fingers--if you learn to do it, it will improve your net play (so they said). Has anyone else heard of this?
    Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBea...73F841103447B7

I'd suggest you watch it all, but drills start around 4mins, discussion I think around 2mins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are worried about scratching your racket when picking up the shuttle or anytime you make contact with the ground or partners racket then add some tape to the racket head. I do it on all my rackets and replace the tape when it gets too dirty or scratched. It has also helped to minimise paint chips when clashed on the taped areas.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1011 View Post
    If you are worried about scratching your racket when picking up the shuttle or anytime you make contact with the ground or partners racket then add some tape to the racket head. I do it on all my rackets and replace the tape when it gets too dirty or scratched. It has also helped to minimise paint chips when clashed on the taped areas.
    You got a picture?

Won't the tape affect the aerodynamic of the racket?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I doubt it will affect the aerodynamics much because the tape fits neatly onto the racket and into the grommet recess. I have uploaded a couple of pictures to my photobucket account. Excuse the quality, the flash is rubbish on my phone.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/Da...tml?sort=3&o=1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3