User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^ there is a way to get the bird without touching the floor, but it only works with feather birds and may even damage them slightly (!). (so its a neat trick, but don't say I didn't warn you! )

the trick is to make it jump up by hitting the feathers while it is still on the ground... the racket has to swing in a specific direction ie from cork towards feather tip at which point contact is made and the shuttle will jump up and you can catch it with your racket.
    Last edited by visor; 02-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it quite easy to scoop without touching the floor. Make sure the frame is below the halfway point of the cork, then just quick forward acceleration and the shuttle just rolls in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingzzz View Post
    I find it quite easy to scoop without touching the floor. Make sure the frame is below the halfway point of the cork, then just quick forward acceleration and the shuttle just rolls in
    this. i was just thinking "how are people scraping their rackets?" and even if you place the racket on the floor as a starting position, the scoop motion it side/upwards, not down/across the floor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    i'm fortunate to play only in badminton gyms with pvc floor mats, so our rackets don't get scratched at all when we scoop the bird from the floor
    Ever since I finished university, I don't think I've played badminton in a court without the floor mats.

I never really paid attention to it, but are you sure that scooping up a birdie with the racket even on a floor mat will not scratch the frame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    Ever since I finished university, I don't think I've played badminton in a court without the floor mats.

I never really paid attention to it, but are you sure that scooping up a birdie with the racket even on a floor mat will not scratch the frame?
    depending on whether u r a begunner, int or pro scoop'er

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ there is a way to get the bird without touching the floor, but it only works with feather birds and may even damage them slightly (!). (so its a neat trick, but don't say I didn't warn you! )

the trick is to make it jump up by hitting the feathers while it is still on the ground... the racket has to swing in a specific direction ie from cork towards feather tip at which point contact is made and the shuttle will jump up and you can catch it with your racket.
    Video or it didn't happen!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you didn't learn it, one should have enough feeling in is hand to easily do it. Even catching the shuttle should come relatively easy for an experienced player without ever practicing it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post

Shows how much older I am compared to you. Before RichPro and Clear1 opened years ago, all of us had to play at school gyms and community centres with varying degrees of dirt and particles that scratched our rackets like sandpaper. Now we are spoiled, I refuse to play on anything else but mats.

Mats won't scratch at all if you don't scrape too hard while scooping the bird.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
    Video or it didn't happen!
    Hehe... not me, I don't know how to do this. There's a video on YouTube of some Chinese singles pro player, LD or CJ(?), doing this during training. I'll try to look for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Pz7VqH58#t=78s I'm sure it was posted in other threads before.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shows how much older I am compared to you. Before RichPro and Clear1 opened years ago, all of us had to play at school gyms and community centres with varying degrees of dirt and particles that scratched our rackets like sandpaper. Now we are spoiled, I refuse to play on anything else but mats.

Mats won't scratch at all if you don't scrape too hard while scooping the bird.
    lol! I don't think I'm that young...When I first started playing about 20/21 years ago, there was no ClearOne. I learned the game playing in those multi-use gyms. I was aware of ClearOne by the time I got into high school. I stopped playing the game after I finished university as I went travelling around the world (a long story for another day). I stopped playing for about 4 years and as soon as I got back, all of these dedicated facilities started popping up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vixter View Post
    While "bending down to retreive" once in a while can be nice, I think scooping up the shuttle with the racquet is a very basic skill that everyone who is not calling themselves "beginner" should master!
    ...agree.

BTW I was once told by a coach that (having scooped up the shuttle) you should always return it to your opponent OVER the net, and not hit it along the floor or pass it under the net as many do. Anyone else ever been instructed to do this? I don't see this very often here in the UK.

Tx,

smautf

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smautf View Post
    ...agree.

BTW I was once told by a coach that (having scooped up the shuttle) you should always return it to your opponent OVER the net, and not hit it along the floor or pass it under the net as many do. Anyone else ever been instructed to do this? I don't see this very often here in the UK.

Tx,

smautf
    it is polite and friendly to pick up the shuttle and gently return it to the opponent over the net. i always do that in training/with friends and players i like. in general i do it in competition-play, too. as soon as the opponent starts to be unfriendly/unfair/arrogant/whatever, i flick the shuttle on the floor under the net. this certainly belongs in the categorie "mindgames". in professional play, it is very common...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i'm playing with a new double's partner or someone older than me I tend to flick the shuttle into my hand and pass the shuttle by hand. I've seen professional players leave the shuttle at the net for the opponent to pick it up even if they're closer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

professional play is a totally different story!

if you play a dropshot into the net and the pro already stands there, he will not pick up the shuttle, but let you come to the net and flick it over to his side. that's how professionals do it. but again: that's little mental games these guys play, in amateur-badminton it is common to give your opponent the shuttle in a friendly manner and i usually pick up the shuttle at the net when i'm standing closer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smautf View Post
    ...agree.

Tx,

smautf
    Zhao Jian Hua talked about this in one of his videos with Xiao Jie.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's good social etiquette...
    Do unto others as you would unto you.
    (ie. The Golden Rule).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast