Broken racket from stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TingAhYee, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

Guys i wonder how does the shops in your place compensate you with rackets that broke while they are stringing? I have a racket strung by a stringer and he broke it in the midst of stringing. He offered to get the distributor for me to see if an exchange is possible but i know he is just brushing it off.

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

This is where the "recommended" (literally warranted) tension AND string pattern are actually relevant. If the stringer was stringing the racquet within the warranted tension limit and with the warranted string pattern, then the local distributor will replace the racquet if it breaks during stringing, as within the two warranted conditions, the racquet would only break if there is a manufacturing fault regarding the racquet. This will also depend if the racquet is still covered by the warranty which does not lasts as long as the local distributor specifies and that can change from shop to shop. The local distributor will also only provide warranty for racquets bought from their stock.

Otherwise no shop would actively warranty cover any racquet. Bringing a racquet to restring is like bringing a car to a private workshop for servicing for the cheaper price; the good service person will do the job properly while maintaining the car condition as best as possible while the amateur will put the car condition in doubt. But since you're not going to the more expensive authorised distributor, you don't get warranty on what the service person do to your car.

The market for racquet stringing is quite small so most of these stringers are actually amateurs. There in fact is a qualification system/process by Yonex for stringers which a lot of business stringers do not bother to go to since it costs money to participate. Mostly only the actual professional tournament stringers have such certification.

3. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

Oh ..meaning most shops wil probably nt compensate u n wil gv excuses like I ll check wif the distributor, racket has prior defects or something... Wonder if anyone did experience wif a stringer who ll actually compensate u something... Or no one is dumb enuff to do tat perhaps ? Haha

4. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

My stringer will insist the the requestor to be present if racket is to be strung higher than recommended , he will proceed only if the requestor agree that my stringer will not be responsible if racket breaks during stringing.

Did ur stringer tell u something like that ?

Bro , kindly share with us whats the tension , racket n stringer so that we can comment further.

5. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

Hi Peng,

Actually this 'template' was used by not just one stringer. One man's meat may be another's poison. So i don't think it is appropriate to finger point. In fact i still have respects for them but i certainly won't be going back. All i can say one is a massively popular shop up north across the straits and one is a very popular distributor about 15km down south from the straits :) In both instances the tension strung is definitely within the recommended.

What other creative excuses have you experienced before? So that i can counter them in future :D
    Or any other best practices like you have mentioned? So that i can demand for such :D

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) you have nothing to loose at this point.
    2) If the stringer has good relationship with the distributor, you have a good chance.
    3) If your racquet was in mint condition when you brought it in, you have a good chance to get a replacement. If a lot of dent and dink, good luck.
    4) Please note, many stringers does this as a side job. They are not dealer. They can not warranty the racquet for you. So you are at your own risj.
    5) Most importantly, it is stringer's responsibility to inspect the racquet when it comes in. If there is any issue, notify the owner that either there is a crack or there is a clash mark and the racquet will not take the tension. If he/she did not do so and frame damaged during work, you will have a good argument he is responsible.

7. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

i once tried to claim a racket that has a piece of material inside the racket , most likely it happened when drilling the holes for stringing , i clearly heard there was some thing inside, so i brought to the distributor but he was not able to hear anything due to the noisy enviroment , so i asked him to bring back the racket home n try , but when i went back , he still claimed that everything was ok. So that was the last time i ever went to him after trading in that racket for another model with top up. The sound was so distinctive. but its past anyway.

what i usually do is that i will alw ask my stringer if my racket can still take this tension , coz some of our rackets have already been through WW2 , so u can actually remind ur stringer to check ur racket if any cracks or frame damages.

Like silentheart mentioned its the stringer's responsibility to inform the owner that whats the tension this racket can take at the point of time rather than the recommend tension.

Bottomline is if its within tension n ur stringer did not inform u of the max recommended tension by him , then i feel that its clearly negligence n he should be responsible for the broken racket.

8. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

@peng Drilling holes ?! The only time when I got this witch doctors' craft was with the one 5km up north across the straits but I have a hunch the distributor sound like the one at some tomato place 15km south of the straits :p sounds like his MO. I like the precaution u did & probably I will try the same. Do you feel it's fair & necessary for them to have some sort of disclaimer on rackets with deep chips suggesting clashes wanting high tensions like maybe 26lb & above ? @silent , blitzzardThks :) guess everywhere is the same. Don't expect them to be responsible even if they did not have any sort of disclaimers beforehand. Can only admire the array of creative excuses they can give you.

9. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Not really mods , rather the manufacturing process , like i ever got compensated for a 66UM which i brought along to be strung , so my stringer compensated me with a piece of his own coz its his negligence , so i think it varies with stringer n depends on what was broken n if the stringer thinks its a manufacturing defect. :D

10. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

Of course he will compensate your string , his cost price is cheap. When it comes to rackets, I think he may instantaneously morph into a fire spewing Godzilla roaring at you :D

11. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Haha , maybe he will , but have not heard of any incidents yet , maybe his longer regulars may know. :D

12. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Hi, still curious and sorry for upping a very old thread again
    So nowadays, what happen to us if :
    1.Brand new racket break while stringing (Still in recommended tension)
    2.Brand new racket break while stringing (Outside recommended tension)
    3.String break while stringing
    4.Old racket break while stringing(In recommended tension)
    5.Old racket break while stringing(Outside recommended tension)
    Anyone have experience regarding to these?Just curious tho.
    Will the shop give us a new one?Or will it take back the racket and claim warranty to the distributor/brand?Or we'll lose everything and just accept it?:D
    I myself have experience string break while stringing twice, both on manual/analog stringing machine, requested 28lbs, the first time it happen in front of me, shop owner and stringer just stay quiet and keep the stringing moving on and they tie it to 6 knots finally, only takes 3/4 sessions to break the string (LN No 1) and the second time i was just leaving the racket and when i get back and take my racket i saw another 6 knots (different shop) but because i dont want to be a burden i just let it pass, stringer also just stay quiet and act like nothing happens tho :D
    Please share your experience and logic/feel about those situation
    I'm very curious tho, how does it look from the shop owner standpoint when this things happen, you dont want to pay for a broken string/racket dont you :D
    Thankyou, stay safe and stay healthy guys.

13. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

1. Thats not your fault! The manufacturer or shop must replace this.
    2. Thats your problem, but the shop should inform you before stringing. But I wouldn't use the shop anymore.
    3. Thats not your fault! The manufacturer or shop must replace this.
    That's obvious to me! 4 and 5 is more difficult to evaluate.

4. and 5. is your own problem, because the racket may have already been damaged. If the racket didn't have any collisions, I'd try it anyway. Good stringers also say it when they made a mistake and replace it.

If a string breaks during stringing, I start all over again! I wouldn't take money for bad work. But even as a buyer I would not make a scene, but rather look for a new stringer.

silentheart likes this.
  14. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    Regarding 4 and 5. My stringer always quickly checks every racket for cracks in the frame before stringing it. If he sees a crack, he won't string it or will only string it with your permission (knowing that if it breaks, it will be your responsibility). If he doesn't see a crack, he strings it and he is fully responsible for what happens to the racket.

15. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

I control the racket too. But when a racket is 5 years old and has a lot of paint chips, it becomes difficult. Not all damages are visible on the outside. When I also see how beginners in our club sometimes handle their rackets. Multiple collisions, a broken string simply stays in the racket for weeks...

It is unfortunately not always clear, but I am normally very fair the first time.

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1 use a good and trustworthy stringing person. Just because the shop is “authorized” dealer, it does not mean they use a qualified stringing person. In fact, there are 2 major clubs in my area that get different result every other day because depend on who string the racquet that day. And some stringing person is not even qualified.
    2 yes, it would be nice for the shop to help warranty the racquet if there is an issue. But please be considerate too. If you buy a racquet from shop A and take it to your friend’s shop to restring because it is such good deal and he/she (usually he) is welling to string 5lb over recommended tension for you. When racquet break, DON’T take it back to the shop A and ask them to warranty for you. It is YOUR fault and you know you are too cheap.