Time for head heavy and stiff rackets? Advise please?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JoshuaCYS, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

Hey guys, I’m currently looking for a new racket to suit my style of play. I consider myself as a higher intermediate player. Lately, I have been focusing on my arm, wrist strength and also footwork to improve my game. However, I can’t seem to generate power in my smashes lately. All these years, I’ve been using head light and flexible rackets and my smashes were quite fine. But after improving on my arm strength, I felt that my smashes lacked power. Could this be due to my racket’s flexibility? I tried using a stiffer racket and I felt that it can generate more power compared to my racket. Is it time to change to head heavy and stiff rackets? Any recommendations? My budget is around RM 300 to RM 500.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

vt80... try it out if you can and see if its right for you

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    From you description above, it could be due to the improvement from your skill as well as your power, since you train your arm, wrist & footwork.

I would suggest to try the following Yonex SP coded :
    1. AT900P
    2. AY900PLC
    3. Arc 10
    4. VT80
    5. VT Z Force ( latest racket by YY )

Non Yonex : Victor MX 80

All above mentioned racquets are within your budget.

Have fun.

4. TiKok

TiKok Guest

Singles, baseline or net men doubles, mixed doubles ? What series are you playing most ?

5. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    Arc 10 and VT-Z Force RRP is RM 929.90 after discount 30% also need RM650, his budget is RM300 ~ RM500. Even VT-80 also cost nearly RM 560. unless he buy second hand racket... no doubt i think AT900 also cost more than RM500.00

After Victor raise up their prices... MX-80 also nearly RM600, Before that also cost RM560.00

6. Kinderbijbel

Kinderbijbel Regular Member

student
    My preferences are head head heavy but not super headheavy and stuff. So these are my go to rackets. 1. Carlton vapour Trail elite 2. Carlton razor 1.1. 3. Victor meteor mx 80 4. Victor bravesword series 5. Yonex armortec 900 power

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Which store's price did you quote above?

8. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

I play singles most of the time and if I play doubles, I'm usually the baseline men doubles.

I might try out the Bravesword series but is BS08/09 better for me?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Given your play style, Bravesword series is not recommended. They are fast swinging but they're not very substantial on hitting.

Whereas you need substantial, not fast swinging. If you must try Victor, try out the SW35, 37.

10. TiKok

TiKok Guest

As far as Victor is concerned, in your budget range in Malaysia, the SW35 is the answer for what you're looking for.

However I'm having some problems thinking you're coming from head light flexible racquets to directly a SW35.

At very good ratio cost/value in your country I would suggest to go for an intermediate racquet such the Artery Tec Ti99, or eventually the BS10; forget BS08 or 09 for you.

In your price range, you've got also Apacs Lethal 90 by example.

11. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

Will there be much problems for me using the SW35? Or as you've said, I should go for the Artery Tec Ti99/Apacs Lethal 90

In the meantime, I'll check out those rackets

12. TiKok

TiKok Guest

As I said within Victor this is the racquet that would fully cover your needs, I just wonder from you actual play, head Light / Flexible, if you can go directly to it.

Only you, in testing them that can tell you :). Keep us posted.

13. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    what is you current racket and string tension and which brand/model of stiffer racket you had tried?
    Victor sw35 is a good racket but its may to stiff for you since you said your current racket is flexible.
    less stiffer would be victor sw36 you may consider that one too.

14. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

I'm currently using the Li-Ning UC3000 @ 24lbs. Erm, I tried with my friend's racket, I know it's a Yonex but I don't know what model. Anyway, I tried bending the shaft and it's obviously stiffer than mine

15. tibetmonk

tibetmonk Regular Member

It will most probably be due to the change in your style of play. I read somewhere in this forum that flexible rackets are suitable for players with a longer swing as it takes a longer time for the racket to develop the 'bend' and 'flex' it needs to develop the power needed. Since you have changed your style of play and if you're playing doubles, the racket swing is obviously shorter as you are doing a lot of drives and pushes with snaps of wrists or fingers.. a stiffer racquet can generate a faster and more powerful hit... (I'm not exactly a good player but I can relate to your problem and just sharing with you information I got off this forum)

I used to have the same problem when I changed my style of play. I got myself a stiff, woven racquet, the Zelm Ultimate Series 700 which works really well. A tough racquet which is reliable and forgiving but at the same time, affordable. Definitely within your budget.... Just search for the Zelm thread here and Sgbad is a reliable seller. I believe he ships overseas and since you're in Msia, it wouldn't be too much trouble. Definitely value for money... After giving non mainstream racquets a try, I believe you will like Zelm.

16. abugek

abugek Regular Member

Fleet Triotec woven 3500 RM350
    Head Heavy n stiff shaft

17. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

well, either he could transition slowly to a mid stiff even balanced racket like the SW37 or go for broke and get a stiff but lighter racket like a 4u BS10/11.

why dont you borrow your friend's racket for a few rounds and see which ones you like better. i myself have 7 rackets and on top of that i routinely borrow colleague's and friend's racket just to try out for a week etc.

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hey.Why don't you wait until the yy z f is out? There will be people upgrading and wanting to sell their rackets.

19. King's

King's Regular Member

Yonex AT700 or Li Ning 90 is the easy answer.

20. shawnlimm82

shawnlimm82 Regular Member

what's yr current tension now?