Racket head turning while clearing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nrappa, Feb 7, 2012.

1. nrappa

nrappa Regular Member

I am a recreational player, playing badminton once in a week. From the last 2/3 weeks most of the times when i try to play forehand clear shot racket head is turning and as a result the clear is not proper or direction is not proper.

What could be the reason for this unintentional rotation of racket head. what am i doing wrong, any suggestions to rectify the problem? thanks in advance.

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

maybe wrong grip or wrong stroke method

3. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

I presume you are hitting the shuttle square on initially. The most common reason for below-optimum power is when you unintentionally slice the shuttle.

If it is actually turning, maybe you are holding the racket too loose at contact? You should tighten the grip at contact. Perhaps your grip is not sticky enough or too thin? Even if you hold it looser, if you hit right in the middle there shouldnt be any rotational torque on the racket.

Throughout the swing the racket head should rotate due to forearm pronation (its facing your left intially and kinda ends up facing the right for a righthander), but at the moment of contact it should be square on.

4. nrappa

nrappa Regular Member

Thank you for the input. I am not sure if my stroke method is wrong, but racket head is rotating sometimes only. This problem started after i changed my over grip. Does the over grip has any effect. I will check it again this weekend. Is there any video in slow motion showing the grip and correct stroke method.

5. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    You mean the handle is turning in your hand at the point of contact? Maybe it is grip related since you mention changing the overgrip.

Hand/fingers are usually relaxed during the swing until just before contact with the shuttle. Avoid panhandle grip with the butt will stuck in your palm, it will interfere with your wrist turning during the shot.

Probably best to ask another player to watch your shots and see if they can notice anything.

Some BWF coaching videos :
    CE1M7V18 - Strokes - Forehand clear - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sJf6Oa_r0

CE1M7V3 - Strokes - Grips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjQ2FEKXCU

Is it a racket defect like the shaft is turning in a loose handle assembly. Hold the handle with one hand and lightly twisting the shaft/head to check if there is any movement or squeaking.