Karakal racket reviews

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Integra, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Integra

Integra New Member

developer
    Anyone know where I can get some Karakal racket reviews. I live and die by the Ti-75 but I like to hear what other people say about the other Karakal rackets

Thanks

2. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I tried using the SL-70 for awhile, strung at 22lbs with Gosen A&S string. I don't know why, but for a frame that is supposed to be 70 grams, they somehow managed to pump it up to 86 grams after the strings and grip.

Either way, it's a pretty nice stiff racquet with little vibration dampening when you hit the shuttle. That can be good or bad depending on how you like it. Definitely felt like I had good control with the racquet but was lacking in the power department. Can't say I'm a big fan of the colours either. :)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think Karakal uses some questionable marketing strategy.

SL70 is 70grams, but not including the handle. including the handle is 75g apparently.

i think that's just marketing deception.

that's the first mistake that Karakal made.

the second mistake i think is trying to market light rackets. as we all know, lighter sounds good on paper, but in reality, lighter is not always better.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's really a problem for me then.

It's like, I can claim a car is very light, just not including the engine. What's the point then? If a product is missing a key piece, and not workable, it's just a piece of waste.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah, exactly. for the consumers who actually reads the fine print, we will feel that we are deceived by the company.

i think they had to use the marketing trickery as they want some differentiation between their product and others (else no one will notice them). so they decide to use weight. as light sounds good, they find a trick to make theirs lighter than others. so they exclude the weight of the handle as a 75g racket isn't exactly that rare so they don't have a marketing edge.

but either way, marketing dept tricks aside, perhaps they do make some nice rackets. i don't know. i only tried one of them once but with unfamiliar string and grip so i couldn't make any accurate reviews.

6. Integra

Integra New Member

developer
    huh?

>i think Karakal uses some questionable marketing strategy.

>SL70 is 70grams, but not including the handle. including the handle is 75g >apparently.

I not trying to insult anyone but, are you sure about that comment? I have a SL 70 and weighted it myself when it is strung, and the result is 76g. Given that there are few scratches and nicks here and there I seriously doubt they measured the weight without the handle

7. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    Lol, meh as long as the racquet works for u, it's a good racquet. Besides, I must say that the feel of karakal's are certainly much lighter. As we all kno, balance also plays a part, and whether or not the racquet is actualli 70 isn't a big deal to me as long as it satisfies my needs.

8. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Wow, 76 grams? Maybe quality control needs to be checked since the difference between your SL-70 and mine was a full 10 grams. I think the usual acceptability of other companies is + or - 3 grams...

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I know this might sound daft, but since you're holding the handle, most of its weight does not come into play during shots (it doesn't add to the torque generated by swinging the racket). My current racket weighs 120g strung and gripped (a VERY old Airblade Graphite), so I'm buying the SL70 because I'm such a wristy player and because it's slightly head heavy.

I noticed that Karakal says "World's lightest frame" and "two-piece construction - wooden handle", so I think they've covered their arses lawsuit-wise!

10. mohandas

mohandas New Member

Bn60 is a wonderful racket for playing double matches

Bn60 is a wonderful racket for playing double matches