Need help selecting a racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by uglydewey, Feb 7, 2012.

1. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Shout out from Vancouver!

Anyways, my current racquet is unfortunately dead and I need a replacement.

I have these current options right now:

1. Victor Brave Sword LYD (soon to be released) - $189
    2. Black Knight Max Force 930 - $220

So which one would you recommend,

If you recommend none of these racquets, then which one would you recommend? I need one soon as the season is about to start at my school.

Thanks,

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Need more info. What was your current racket? What is the level of your play? What stiffness do you prefer? What head weight (HH, even, HL) do you prefer? What is your style of play? Why did you post in the wrong sub-forum? If those are the only 2 options (BS LYD or MaxForce)...I'd get the BS LYD. I haven't seen a review of the MaxForce at all. You can be the first to review it.

3. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Current Racquet : Ti-95
    Level : Green Shell in Vancouver roughly district level
    Stiffness : In between can play either or
    Wrong section : Cause I'm new and am semi rushed because my squash couch misunderstood my "help me find a racquet as in buy me a racquet".

I haven't seen a review for the BK MF 930 at all what so ever, so I'm kind of staying away from it. Though my coach said it's really good and my uncle loves Black Knight.

The price isn't really the concern but more if I can play with the racquet or not.

4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Try a Yonex Ti-10 or a Ti-5

or try the classic MusclePower 99 (I used throughout high school) or MusclePower 100

Also look into APACS Lethal 70/90 (affordable) or the APACS Slayer 95/99 THESE ARE 4K Carbon Fiber Kevlar Wovened (affordable)

If you require the ULTRA EXTREME STIFF rackets, definitely get a Yonex ArcSaber 8DX (Made in Japan) (it is the stiffest racket I have tried)
    BUT if you want something a bit less stiff and a bit cheaper, Yonex ArcSaber 5DX (Made in Japan) is the way to go.. (****ArcSaber series might take some time to get use to due to smaller sized frames. Therefore the player must adjust their timing to suit the racket)

You can also try the older discontinued Yonex MusclePower 21/22, they are great defensive rackets.

For defensive, you can also try the Yonex ArcSaber 3FL (Much Cheaper, but also made in Japan) or 9FL (Costs more, but also made in Japan)

If you are on the budget and want something a bit more head heavy, try the APACS Lurid Power 21/22/23 rackets, they are cheap and are head heavy..

If you want extreme head heavy balance, look no farther, get a Yonex Voltric 80 (expensive)

If you do not want a huge cockroach bitten hole in your wallet, get a Yonex Voltric 7 or WAIT A LITTLE LONGER AND GET THE Yonex Voltric 9 (UPCOMING MODEL)

If you are an advanced player, you can try a Yonex Carbonex 25, but you do not have the isometric frame, that is why I said advanced skilled players since they mishit far less than intermediates or beginners.

You may also look into the SOTX Woven series or the Fleet rackets (do not buy the Yonex imitation rackets from Fleet or APACS or other manufacturers. ALWAYS stick with their own model lineups.)

If you are a doubles player, and offensive type, try a Yonex NanoSpeed 9900 (expensive) or go ultra cheapskate and get the Yonex NanoSpeed 990 (similar specs and design as the NS9900, but it is not made in Japan, instead in Taiwan)

5. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    I've tried my friends Nanospeed 9900, but it was way to stiff and a bit harder for me to use. I might need to change the grip if I was to use it. I'm more of a light racquet type user. Heavy head or light head is the same for me, I just want something that might be fun to use.

I'm a well-rounded badminton player, but I would like something that will not drain my arm too much.

So you don't recommend the Victor LYD at all?

Yes I heard the Yonex ArcSaber was pretty good. I might look into it a bit more.

Money is not really an issue, living in vancouver most racquets are accessible anywhere from $50-$200.

So I'm guessing if I am a well rounded player, I am looking for a racquet that is semi well rounded. Don't want something too stiff nor do I want something too flexible.

I'll take those into consideration.

Any ideas if the Victor BraveSwords are worth getting?

Thanks,

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

Between the 2, I chose victor bravesword lyd as I have not heard of the black knight at all. Bravesword series r very playable n good rackets. Go for it. Or u want try yonex rackets if u want. Depends on what u like. Head light? Even? Head heavy? Medium flex? Stiff flex? Super stuff flex?

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    BS LYD is also quite a good racquet & worth considering.

Since i am more familiar with Yonex racket, i suggest you to try Yonex Arcsaber 7 or Arcsaber 9..
    Both of them are medium head heavy & not too stiff nor flexible either.
    Additionally, you might want to give Armortec 600 & VT60 a try as well.

If you don't like NS9900 due to its stiffness, you might want to try NS8000 ( Red&Silver) or NS7000.

By the way, have you tried Victor BS LYD ?

8. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

Try out the musclepower 150, cheap and good practice racquet, if you're looking at overall, get the arcsaber 10 or arcsaber 9. Do not get the ZSLASH, I repeat DO NOT GET THE ZSLASH

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Lolz! You should recommend him the Z Slash, so that you have someone to unload yours upon. :p :D

10. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

He's going to rage for a month. I'm @ that point right now T_T

11. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    So lucky, I was about to buy one for $150 on craigslist brand new and everything, but then I always loved the Victor racquets. I've never actually tried a Victor LYD before, so this will be my first time :)

12. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

What were you going ot buy on craigslist?

13. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash lol...

14. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

You mean the one for 160? Broken Grommet and a paint dent?

I'm checking vancouver craigslist since i live in vancity too.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

uglydewey: you play singles or doubles? all rounder or attack or defend?

16. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    @Tommii - There was that, and a few days back another one for $150 brand new un strung. Hey we should meet up and play sometime.

@visor - I play a bit of everything. I usually only attack whenever there's a sure-kill not just randomly...

17. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

Sure, I play at clearone Leslie on Saturdays 1-5 pm. Not sure if I'm going this week. If I am, find the guy with a zslash having hellokitty on the strings. Pm me your number.

18. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Where do you live? Cause I live closer to White Rock. I'm so intimidated to play at ClearOne since everyone is so much better..

19. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

I live a few steps away from Chinatown skytrain, but I feel more inclined to clearone, I don't think people will judge you unless you have a expensive racquet with a hellokitty logo and plays like a beginner such as myself :D. What was your previous racquet?

20. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Ti-95 from Victor.

Still using but it feels funny. Ah, I get why you go to ClearOne now, it's easier to access.