Where are the Best Restaurants in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'CCC Badminton Club' started by chris-ccc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Where are the Best Restaurants in Melbourne?

I have been reading some reviews about the best restaurants in Melbourne.

Yes, it's great to have delicious food. :):):)

I shall start this thread for our CCCers who love food and who attend some of our lunches, dinners and suppers after our Badminton sessions.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Stop it, you are making me hungry!!!

There is no Indonesian/Malaysian food in my neck of the woods. And one of our few VN restaurants burned down this week.:( You are truly blessed in Melbourne!

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

One of our few VN restaurants burned down this week (in Canada)

Hahaha... I am giving info about our restaurants in Melbourne; But you (in Canada) are reading it too. :cool::cool::cool:

When you get to visit Melbourne one day, I shall bring you to these mentioned best restaurants. :):):)

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Of course I'm reading your Aussie thread.... after all, it's about food!!:D
    I will endeavour to take you up on your kind offer some day.
    In the meantime, hopefully your ccc badminton crew will start voting for which of those many-named restaurants is the best!!

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thai dishes are my favourites too

Thai dishes are my favourites too.

Here is Blossom Thai Restaurant;

http://www.weekendnotes.com/blossom-thai-restaurant/?sb=1&ap=WDKzTSgCSz&wuid=127004&wucid=156809

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Despite living 153 degrees of longitude away from Melbourne, I seem to be the only one interested in your thread. :p

Did that article in "weekendnotes" state that there are 150 Vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne?!!:eek:

Around here we've got probably 1, since that fire I mentioned. Here's the sad pictures --as if you care:rolleyes:. (Hmmm, I went to elementary school with the fire captain in that story. Cool!)

Enjoy your pho and banh bao! :)

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am gathering restaurant info here because I know this thread will be useful later

I haven't told any of our CCC Badminton players about this thread. Therefore our CCCers don't know yet. :):):)

I am gathering restaurant info from "weekendnotes" because I know one day when we need a restaurant for our CCC function, this thread will be useful.

You have only one Vietnamese restaurant in your town? In Melbourne, we have over one thousand. :D:D:D

Sad that Tu Do was burnt down. The name reminded me of a fantastic restaurant in Melborne named Co Do where I often go to when I wish to eat Bun Bo Hue.

Here is their link;
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1478921/restaurant/Melbourne/Co-Do-Richmond

So far, 92% of 148 people voted that they like Co Do.

#12 chris-ccc, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Best Cheap Eats in Melbourne

Justine Crowley wrote an article about Best Cheap Eats in Melbourne.

Melbourne has a variety of cheap places to eat out without breaking the bank, and cheap enough where you can feel like a king's ransom for lunch; still spend no more than $15 (in many cases) and not feel like any dinner at all. This is what I call cheap eats. Sure thing, some of the eating out places can cost the earth, and the great thing is that healthy food is now more accessible to all: and I do not mean KFC or McDonald's, even though these places are cheap eats as well. I mean quality restaurants, where with many of these establishments "cash only" is their policy, so therefore you will be giving your wallet and your credit cards a bit of a holiday too. Amen to that.

If you love yum cha, and you love eating your dumplings, then Shanghai Village at Little Bourke Street is the way to go. This is a cash only establishment, and the variety of dumplings are just amazing. The service is okay, yet the food is delicious and well priced. Enjoy a taster of around three different dumpling plates of around 3-4 dumplings each, and you would have only spent around $15-20. A word of warning: this establishment does get busy, and within good reason too.

If pasta is more of your thing, then head to Mamma Vittoria's at Fitzroy, and for around $10 a pop for pasta, expect to be extremely full. Serving sizes are generous, and their staff are rather generous in nature too.

If you love eating healthy vegetarian food cooked with love and care, and you do not mind eating with strangers; then Crossways at Swanston Street in the city is your go to destination. It does get crowded here, well it is all you can eat vegetarian food from Monday's to Saturday's at $6.50 a pop with dessert and drinks (cordial or water) included. Otherwise, for a "pay what you feel the meal is worth experience" for quality vegetarian food such as their veggie burgers, then Lentil as Anything at St Kilda is your mother for lunch. Many Melburnians come here when their credit card is either at or nearing their limits, or it's rent time. The business advises that $10 a meal would be preferred to keep the business afloat, however you are still free to pay what you feel the meal is worth.

Why cook at home when you can eat out in great (and sometimes simple) ambience so cheaply? Yes cheap in Melbourne is great, and the city that is ranked as "the world's most liveable city" has great cheap eat establishments to boot. Bon appetit.

Source: http://www.weekendnotes.com/best-ch.../?sb=1&ap=WDKzTSgCSz&wuid=127004&wucid=156809

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Gourmet Dumpling Restaurant

Have any BCers/CCCers been to Gourmet Dumpling Restaurant at 71 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, VIC 3144?

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1482018/restaurant/Melbourne/Gourmet-Dumpling-Restaurant-Malvern

Mimi Petrakis wrote this review;

http://www.weekendnotes.com/gourmet-dumpling-restaurant/?sb=1&ap=WDKzTSgCSz&wuid=127004&wucid=156809

As I post, 263 people have posted "like it" at 89%. I feel like going there tonight to try their chilli oil dumplings (one of my favourite dishes). :):):)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Best Japanese restaurant in Melbourne?

Is this the best Japanese restaurant in Melbourne?

Yu-U (pronounced 'you')
    137 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC 3000 (entrance off Oliver Ln)
    Lunch: 12pm-2pm (Mon-Fri)
    Dinner: 6pm-9pm (Mon-Fri)
    Phone: 03 9639 7073
    Price: Around $20 Lunch, $40 Dinner

Here is the review from Bahar Kutluk:
    http://www.weekendnotes.com/yu-u-restaurant/?sb=1&ap=WDKzTSgCSz&wuid=127004&wucid=156809

I heard about Yu-U (pronounced 'you') from a friend, whose friends had taken her there a while ago who had read about it on a blog of someone who had accidentally discovered it one day. The circle goes on and this notoriously word-of-mouth restaurant is truly one of Melbourne's best kept secrets, or so I thought. A phone call to make dinner reservations on a weekday proved me wrong and showed me the popularity of this supposedly unknown restaurant. The earliest day I could get reservations for was in 2 weeks. The lesson here is: call way ahead of time.

When the two week wait came close to an end, I was filled with high expectations of the service, the food, the sake and the atmosphere, which surely could not be fulfilled. By the end of the night I was, again, proven wrong.

As I walked behind a group of Japanese businessmen who were greeted by a polite "Konichiwa" and shown to a private room, I started marvelling at the interior décor; minimalistic yet full of character. The main seating is a U-shaped communal table, set around the interactive teppanyaki kitchen; there are also two other tables for larger groups and two private rooms. With its limited seating the restaurant hardly seats 28, explaining the difficulty of getting a reservation. The clever arrangement of the seating also adds spaciousness to this small, dim, underground restaurant.

Our waitress was incredibly attentive throughout the entire night, from the moment she showed us to our seats and took our coats and as she suggested us "sake-novices" the one perfectly suited to our Western palates and walked us through the menu, explaining each item and answering our many questions.

The food itself certainly did justice to the reviews I had been religiously reading: without a doubt the best Japanese I've had in Melbourne. However be warned that while the portions are on the smaller side, the prices can be quite high especially considering how many different dishes you may end up ordering. It is a good idea not to order personal dishes but mix and match and order to share. For dinner, there is a minimum spend of $30 per person, which is easily reached.

After savouring the scrumptious Wagyu beef and many other traditional Japanese dishes with a modern twist, I must say that the desserts didn't live up to the high standards other menu items had set. It might be best to leave dessert for another place and enjoy another glass of sake as your magical Japanese night comes to an end.

What transformed Yu-u from one of the many hidden gems of Melbourne laneways to an absolutely best in town was the music. Beyond the relaxed yet traditional atmosphere, the delicious food, excellent service and drinks; the music was a pleasant surprise which which complemented our dining experience and the ambiance of the restaurant perfectly. I felt as if I was in a Japanese oasis as the smooth instrumental jazz filled my ears.

Other reviews:
    * http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/directory/restaurant/yu-u
    * http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1442213/restaurant/CBD/Yu-U-Melbourne

Around 88% of bloggers like it. Got to try it one day. :):):)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member