Estimate string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Herrmann, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

I have been given a new racket for my birthday. Supposedly it was strung by an experienced guy - it's a nanogy95 but I have no clue what the string tension is. So here's my question: How can I find out how high the string tension is?
    I have been playing with BG65 @ 22lbs before. If you compare that to my new racket, there is a huge difference. It feels so much harder - at first I couldn't handle it at all. Now it's been 4 weeks and I'm guessing the strings have already lost some tension.
    I took my friends' racket (strung at 24lbs) and gently hit its frame against my strings and vice versa. The sound of the strings were considerably higher when I hit the strings of my new racket compared to his. I therefore assume that the tension is still above 24lbs.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate your help :)

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Higher pitch = higher tension, low tension will result in a dull sound, whereas higher tension will be more "ping" quite possible, that your 22lbs has considerably slackened, and the 23lbs was never really 23lbs, there are a number of factors that could be involved...

3. King's

King's Regular Member

Perhaps I can use a picker (yeah I know, it's silly but it is handy so what the heck) to guesstimate the tension?:)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

just bring it to an experienced stringer, he can estimate by feeling it and strumming it

but that is just an academic number, you'll still need to decide whether you can adapt and play with it, or time to restring to something you can handle.

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

also, thinner string = higher pitch. therefore, it's necessary to compare the pitch with same gauge string.