Doubles Court Movement - Rooted to a spot after Shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mamma, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mamma

mamma Regular Member

Hi,
    I play doubles and I would consider myself at beginner+ level, one problem I find myself constantly in is that after each shot I am stuck at the spot and my partner does a lot of running because of this. I would welcome any advice to get out of position or move to a suitable position after each stroke, I tried to tell myself to do jump after my shot or do a shuffle step before the opponent hits the shots but still no positive progress.

Advice Please

Thanks

2. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    Get a coach, one that you are happy with, and start practicing footwork and movement around the court. Its one the most effective and long lasting investments in your game.

When playing with a partner who is at a different level then depending of the mood of the game you may be receiving fewer shots. For serious game - the weaker player will be targetted, for a fun game - the unmatched player may be avoided.
    To average that out, play with a partner near your level so that opponents will distribute shots more evenly.

Watch some of the BWF coaching videos. Short ones about doubles rallying have basic moves to try to incorporate into your game. eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYyIFWBjHs
    Practice them as your feet need to learn the moves without thinking about it - hence the coach suggestion.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    So you're stuck in the midcourt after a clear or a push?

4. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I an easy tip for you

When hitting say a clear, move to the opposite side of where the clear is hit . So both you and your partner are now in sides formation. This gives a better chance to return smashes, drops. Example, if you cleared to the far right side , you would move diagonally to the left side.

Hope that helps, if you need more just ask.

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

by stuck do you mean you're slow to react to a return shot?

2 easy ways to improve this:
    first start doing some speed rope work (build up your skip rope non-stop for 200 skips or 2 mins, do 2-3 sets a day)

second, learn to split step. this when you so a small jump/crouch right before your opponent hits so that your muscles are already in tension for you to launch towards the direction your opponent hits.