Type of racket and swing speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by NeverWalkAlone, Feb 10, 2012.

1. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

I have a couple of questions regarding the rackets we use.

1. Does constantly using a head heavy racket decrease ur swing speed in time?

2. Isn't it better to switch the rackets to a lighter head from time to time to maintain our swing speed?

This is because i remember a video from Zhao & Xian doesn't recommend to train too long using the tennis as it may deteriorate their swing speed. i just wonder if this might also extend to badminton rackets. Thoughts?

2. NeverWalkAlone

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Perception and ritual! If you've been told to have an advantage, you believe in it and feel confident despite changing actual objective performance readings.

4. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i think what zhao j h & xiao j means is that if u over train n u get injuried... of course...yr swing will b affected.

is this agreed by others?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Recently I've been thinking about this too, as I've over the past 3 years played 2x 2hrs per week in mens doubles and noticeably improved in skills, speed and strength. Starting with a balanced 4U T2 racket, to a slightly head heavy mid 3U MX70, and recently trying to train my arm to handle a 4U VT80 that is quite head heavy. Power and speed of these rackets are obviously inversely related, with the head lightest one fast but not powerful, and the heaviest powerful but slower. IMO its a matter of finding a balance/compromise that can help you round out your game most.

And to answer your question, yes, IMO it's good to "cross train" your muscles so that they can improve in both power and speed. You need to encourage more muscle fibre units to grow for strength, and also train them to fire simultaneously together as a unit for speed and explosiveness.

6. NeverWalkAlone

i like the idea of cross training. i wished i'd though of this b4 purchasing a new voltric80:crying:.