Useful additional tools for new stringing machine?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by blableblibloblu, Feb 11, 2012.

1. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    I will be buying an Alpha Shuttle Express with a WISE 2086 this week and was wondering what other tools (that don't already come with the stringing machine) would be useful/necessary

http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_11&products_id=127

a
    nd also would like to know where do you guys buy stuff like grommets
    I'll most likely get some loadspreaders and grommets from mbs so I might as well wait a bit to order to see if I have other stuff to buy

Can't wait to start stringing :)

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Seems good!
    I'm not sure how good those clamps will be compared to other flying clamps. Keep an eye on them to make sure the string doesn't slide through them, if it doesn't then they'll be fine.
    Oh and the grommet awl (green handled spike, just in case) check the end is rounded and smooth. I had one with a flat end and it is very difficult to use without damaging the string.

Also I'm not entirely sure how you would calibrate the tension. You normally have a tension calibrator in a fixed position and then set the tension head like that. I haven't used a crank machine without a fixed clamp position before.

3. blableblibloblu

student
    Thank you for your quick reply :)

Well I've read someone on the forums that the Yonex clamps worked better on crosses so I guess I'll get those from MBS too, unless someone knows about somewhere else that would be cheaper.

I'm not quite sure about what you mean by having problems calibrating, but considering the amount of people that have a WISE 2086 on this forum, I don't think it's going to be a major problem

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    WISE doesn't need calibration.

it sounds like you are first time stringing. it will take a bit of learning and while doing that it is better to keep things simple.

while the process isn't that hard, there are a lot of stuff to be learned and more gadgetry will just make the process much more confusing.

the ASE comes with a basic set of tools which are sufficient to string a racket. they are not the top quality of tools but they are good enough. the awl and string mover are what i have been using for the last 250 rackets. the pliers are fine. the only one that can do some upgrade is the cutter, which you can either substitute with a nail clipper or a better electrical wire cutter.

aside from that, if you want to get stuff from MBS, their grommet set is good to have as well as the load spreader.

5. blableblibloblu

student
    Alright thank you

Yeah I can't wait to finally string my own rackets (I've been reading a lot about stringing in the past weeks) because I hate having to wait week(s) to have my rackets stringed and also not even being sure it's been done at the right tension