slow after lifting weights

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by NeverWalkAlone, Feb 11, 2012.

1. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Hi

I noticed that my movements/smashes are slower after starting to lift weights. anyone else having this problem?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends how you lift weights.

for badminton it is essential to lift lighter weights with faster and more repetition, instead of heavy weight with slower and less repetition.

think Bruce Lee vs. Arnold, you want to be like Bruce Lee for badminton.

3. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

How u do your weight exercise ?

4. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    I think you are using a weight that's too heavy. Like the poster above use something for more reps and less weight.If you do too much weights you're arms are going to take a while to get used to. Everyone's different.

5. NeverWalkAlone

i mainly used dumbells. Usually, i only do bicep, foreearm and wrist curls, plus shoulder presses/raises with 2 sets and 10-15 repetitions @ 8-10 kilos@ moderate swings.

6. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    imho, you should weight train explosively as heavy as you can with proper form. you would not turn bodybuilder build without a proper diet. plus train your lower body more for faster movement on court.

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    For muscle gain the weight you lift is not important. Maximum muscle gain is brought about by lifting to fatigue. Doing 10 rep max bicep curl would cause the same gain as a 30 rep max bicep curl.
    Badminton isn't about having massive muscles, it's about having toned muscles capable of fast and repetitive contractions. More reps at a lighter weight is ideal, to get you started. When you have good form and wish to take things to the next level check out the link below. This guy works with Leeds Met Uni students some of who play for England, he knows his stuff and is a very experienced Strength and Conditioning Coach.
    http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/building-badminton-athletes/

After lifting weights give it 2 days before you play badminton, weight lifting causes small tears in the muscle which help to stimulate growth. If these aren't 90% healed by the time you play badminton you will cause more damage without giving it the time to repair. After weights get some protein and minerals, a grilled chicken breast on a salad base with some dressing for added taste is just what you'll need.

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Andy you post a useful link yet what you wrote contradcits the correct advice from the coach."Basic Strength: 4 Sets of 5 Reps

Max Strength: 4/5 Sets of 1-3 reps

Power: 3/4 Sets of 4-6 reps using lighter loads more explosively" you do not want to do much very high rep or body building style training. You can play the same day as doing weights, pros would play 6 days week and lift maybe 3 or 4 days as well

9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Yeah, but the coach on there is working with top level athletes that play every day at a high intensity and try to push themselves in every session they are used to working hard.
    For somebody just getting into weights and is having a problem feeling slow in badminton after weights, building up doing a low weight with high reps to simulate badminton will help the adaptation.
    Basic Strength - is normal things people should be good at, bench press + bicep curls for example, but if the form is not correct then plenty of reps at a low weight can help greatly. (I assume that the original poster does not regularly do weights as he is having a fatigue problem, sorry if this is wrong)
    And yes you can lift weights and play the same day, however pros Do Not do this! They have a team of Sports Scientists to work with them and keep them in prime shape and have them so their energy stores and muscle quality is at optimum on competition day and throughout a tournament. You cannot lift weights on the same day as playing AND see the benefits of muscle adaptation without affecting playing performance.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    you'll find pros do weights on the same day, frequently. Check out any of the England players on twitter and you'll see their day mostly incorporates 1 or 2 court sessions and a weights session. Prior to worlds when LCW was training at Bath he would do fairly heavy squats immediately prior to playing, and was seen to do further weights after playing for 2/3 hours.

Weights do not make you slow, but if any weights were going to make you slow it would be high rep work as opposed to low rep range strength/power work. Yes beginners start with light weights and learn form but even then are more like to show poor form doing 10-20 reps vs just 5 reps say. You are not trying to "simulate" badminton with weights, you are trying to develop full body strength/power. Biceps curls probably have no place in a badminton program. Dumbell bench is probably far better than barbell bench press. If you need any further advice let me know.

11. NeverWalkAlone

u have valid points about muscle fatigue and adaptation. i played badminton every day while on site. sometimes, i just lift weights and play 6-8 games each day. may be i'll try to reduce the weights a bit and see the results. how much do u think the weights should gradually be raised? resting may be a bit of problem, since the hands get kinda itchy if i don't join the colleagues playing.:D

12. NeverWalkAlone

dlp: what type of lifts/raises do u suggest? preferably, exclude chest exercises, rather more to shoulders or arms. it's stupid, but aesthetically, chest exercises make me look wide/short:p.

13. King's

King's Regular Member

Totally agree but how about Donnie Yen for relevance?:)

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Suggest you do squats, deadlifts, pushpress , powercleans (or clean pulls), a row, pull up, dumbell bench, some sort of single leg work (single leg squat, split squat, lunge variation). You wouldnt do each exercise every session.

15. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

the only reasons that you would feel that you're slower after you started lifing weight could be:

1) you've gain some weight (even if its pure muscle), making your arm heavier when you swing or your footwork suffers as you gain weight. people generally overcompensate their eating thinking its ok to eat more as they work out more.
    2) you've lost flexibility when you start doing weights and refuse to stretch those muscles leading to more injuries. the main reason of not stretching is lazyness.

it really epends on your workout but work/rep cycles should be like so:
    3-6 rep for strength
    8-12 reps for muscle building
    15-20 reps for conditioning

my workout is to do 2 sets of strength and straight one set of conditioning until fatigue for 60 seconds then you get best of both worlds without being too bulky :D

e.g 5x weighted squat, rest 60s, 5x weighted squat, no rest right into no weight jumping squat for 60s. rest 90s then repeat whole cycle 3x.

you should do with push presses too for your upper body

16. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I wouldn't listen to the people telling you to do high-rep training. Notice the lack of evidence. Body builders train 10-12 reps for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which basically means they cause their muscles to fill up with water, sugar, and blood. This is why olympic lifters and power lifters can outlift bodybuilders who weight 100 pounds more than them. Arnold would have done badly in powerlifting competitions, because his strength:weight ratio was poor. For building power, do cycles of high weight/low rep, and lower weight/explosive reps. Most of the time, don't exceed 8 reps, and for the high weight phase, don't exceed 6 reps. This way, you build the max force your muscles can generate, as well as the speed at which they can reach that force. Alternatively, do high weight/low rep, and then a couple of sets of speed work afterward (lowering the weight, of course). For proof that this works, take a look at olympic lifters - if they aren't lifting at near-maximum weight, they're doing it explosively, and never for a high amount of reps. The result is a rock-solid, lean body, and the best strength and power possible for their body weight. Endurance should be worked on court with footwork and multi-shuttle drills. Why work endurance with weights if you can do the same thing while working your movement technique as well? And when you're working above 8 reps, endurance and lactic acid tolerance are the main things being worked, not strength.
    Take a look at this article, it was shown to me by another BC member recently and it has helped me quite a bit. It describes a good way to incorporate a balance between speed and strength into a program.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...contrast_training_for_strength_size_and_power
    For good programs to incorporate this training into, look up "starting strength" by Mark Rippetoe (you can easily torrent the book), or stronglifts 5x5 (there's a web site and forum centered around the program if you give it a quick google). These 2 programs are among the most reputable beginner strength training programs, but obviously you can modify them for speed (article). I did starting strength for my first 6 months of lifting and it worked miracles. My racket now feels like a toy, i feel more stable/quick on court, my once-frequent injuries have almost disappeared, and I hit much harder with less effort. The most helpful thing I found was the deadlifts - they work forearm strength extremely well (much better than wrist curls), and the glutes, back and hamstrings, which helps to balance out the natural quad and ab development that badminton causes. I never knew how imbalanced my muscles were, how weak my grip was, and how much this was holding me back before I got to a decent deadlift weight.
    Do some research on the programs I mentioned, and read some other articles on t-nation. The authors there are all strength coaches of some kind (some power lifting, some oly lifting, some bodybuilding, some sprinting, etc), all of them well qualified. Then make a decision for yourself.
    I don't mean to sound rude, but after asking my own questions on BC about weightlifting, I've found that there's a lot of blind speculation that goes on. That being said, moomoo and dlp seem to know their stuff.
    by the way, the programs i mentioned include, or can include, all the exercises dlp mentioned :p. It also takes all the guesswork out of building your own program.

...jeez, I write too much. XD

pepe54 likes this.
  17. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Good post. Most advice given on BC regarding fitness/weights should be carefully considered as it's often plain wrong unfortunately

18. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

great post - just what I am trying to look in to myself..

19. NeverWalkAlone

I've gained some mass these past weeks. That's probably the reason my movement and response has slowed down. My muscle have also yet to adjust to my new weight, not helped with me avoiding quadriceps exercises as well. incorporating whole body exercises such as dedlifts would surely helped with my muscle imbalances. thanks for the input guys. I've learnt alot.
    However, regading bicep curls, does LCW really avoid bicep curls? Because his biceps look really bulgy.

20. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    You cannot forget about any muscle groups! You will end up with an imbalance and this will cause damage to other muscles/tendons/ligaments.
    A rough guide to training your body is that if you do an exercise to push something away from the body, you should do a similar exercise to pull something in to the body. (Bench Press + Seated Row, Shoulder press + Wide grip Pull up)

BTW in case anybody discounts anything I say as just some rubbish I am making up, I have a degree in this sort of thing, so I do know my stuff.
    Andy BSc Sport and Exercise Sciences