APACS Slayer 99 REVIEW

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Feb 11, 2012.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    After buying the APACS Slayer 99 3U version used from the BST thread on BadmintonCentral last week, I have used for a week and found the racket is just excellent!

The racket is used and it is already strung with BG68 Ti @ 24lbs (seller GaryC said it was strung a while ago, so the tension is probably around 22-23lbs now).

I tried to estimate the tension of the BG68 Ti, so I took out my freshly strung Yonex MusclePower 99 with BG68 Ti @ 25lbs to compare. The Slayer 99's strings feels like it is about 22-23lbs. Also try to estimate the tension with my Yonex Voltric 60 strung @ 24lbs with BG80 (strung few months ago, so it is probably also at 22-23lbs, but of course the strings are not the same)... I just used these 2 rackets as a comparison reference for the racket string tension...

After playing with the Slayer 99 for the first time, I realized how stiff and solid the shaft is... This racket is definitely not beginner friendly. To fully use it, you have to be intermediate+ to advanced level... The racket is stiff, and it is sort of head heavy. Due to the small grip size, I have 2 Yonex Overgraps on it and the head still feels a little head heavy... So the racket is stiff+a bit head heavy after the 2 layers of overgrips.

After taking to the court, this racket shines with effortless clears, and pin-point accuracy drops (as accurate as my ArcSaber 5DX and Voltric 60). The racket smash power seems excellent considering it is not that head heavy. But the stiff shaft and frame offers VERY LITTLE vibration absorption. I can really feel the bird (I play feather) when it come in contact with the frame. Since it is stiff 50 TONNES Internation Competition Grade (as it claims) HM Carbon with 3K Woven, this racket will definitely give your hand and wrist a work out. You really have to know how to generate power with this kind of stiff shafts (arm+wrist, not just one or the another, combination of both is key). This bring me back to the point that this racket is not n00b friendly.

The drop and handling performance is very accurate and responsive (as expected from a stiff racket such as this) I can slice and drop from the back court to pretty much anywhere on my opponent's side of the court. I don't know if this is because it has a stable T-joint or stable overall racket (SINCE the WHOLE RACKET IS WRAPPED in 3K Carbon Fiber Cloth) or it might be those 3 reinforcement bulges at 12, 5 and 7 o'clock. I'm not that sure. But the head is very stable, I tried to twist the head with a bit of force, and did not receive a lot of twisting feedback from the racket.

I feel the sweet spot on this racket is alright, not the biggest. I think it has something to do with those reinforcement bulges at 12, 5 and 7 o'clock.

Although the racket is rated at 3U weight class, the weight on the shaft says it is 88g plus/minus 2g. The racket as a whole feels somewhere like a 89g lol. So the racket is not that light, but since the head heaviness is only a little, the racket does not feel that heavy (hrm hrm... I'm talking to you Yonex Voltrix <X_X> )

Handling from the racket is fast after I built my 2 layers overgrips to about a Yonex equivalent of G3 size. (I have gorilla basketball hands lol) I can switch back and forehand pretty much flawlessly. Most of the time, this switch results in very little amounts of mishits. Handling for the front of the net is fast as well.

Now we talk durability. Since the Slayer 99 was bought second hand used, it already has some ships and so forth. From what I can tell, the grommets quality is not that great. I don't know what the seller strung the racket at previous to the BG68 Ti, but the grommets has extreme deep string cuts to them...

The RACKET however is Extremely Good quality. A few finger flicks on the shaft and the frame, the sound it makes is not as hollow as my Yonex rackets (ArcSaber 5DX and Voltric 60, the OLDER MusclePower 99 is pretty solid. I know... Yonex is losing quality with time, newer products quality do not compare to the older series lol)

Last week I played a few doubles and clashed hard a few times, I only see a bit of sticker chips. YES I KNOW, the printing on the Slayer 99 is mostly decal stickers... The racket itself is entirely 3K Woven Carbon Fiber with a clear coating. So the logos and printing seems to "Float on top" of the 3K Woven CF.

After the clashes the racket seems fine, no dents anywhere or marks or even change of shape.

Also due to having very bright lights in some courts, I couldn't see when smashing and mishit the racket right on the frame quiet hard, and it is fine. I even dropped it after playing singles for 5 hours straight and my arms can no longer handle the weight and the stiffness of the racket. After I took it home, racket is fine, just got a few very light scruff marks....

Overall, this is a great racket for both offensive (slight head heavy and very stiff shaft (YES I know, the specs says the racket is only stiff, but I feel it is very stiff, maybe it is the batch) and defensive (fast handling)

My ranking for the APACS Slayer 99:

Smash Power: 9/10
    Defensive: 8.5/10
    Control: 9/10
    Clears: 8.5/10

Overall Build Quality: 8.5/10 (BECAUSE the logos and texts are just decals, if they are painted, probably going to give an 9/10 lol)

Like I said earliers, and I will say it again, this racket is definitely a NO - NO for beginners...

Beginners should stick with flex or medium stiff rackets with the 80g - 86g range with even balanced or even a little head light balance.

Hope you enjoyed my review.

Stay tuned for my next review, which is the APACS Tantrum 500 International.

2. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Forgot to mention that the APACS Slayer 99 is recommended for both singles (the power of the racket is superb) and double (fast handling, good speed and excellent precision) and not to mention this beast of a racket is a durae piece of weapon. Takes clashing with n00b partners or pro partners like a champ in double lolAt $99 this racket is one of the best in the price range!

3. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    i saw your posting before about what to pick between slayer 99 and Tantrum 500. i didn't know that you bought both rackets.

4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Lol I bought both rackets. But I did not string the Tantrum 500 yet. I had the Tantrum 500 frame sitting here for months now...

Been using my Voltric 60 and MusclePower 99 last year more often.

Recently I purchased a used Slayer 99 3U, and got back in the APACS range... So I can't wait to try out my Tantrum 500, hopefully it do not disappoint!

I have yet seen a detailed review for the Tantrum 500 International at this point in time. So once I use my Tantrum 500 International for some time, I will probably write a detailed review on it.

Then I will probably do a review on Lurid Power 21 and 22, or maybe a Visible Hollow, or even the Feather Weight 200 (I've been dying to try one out. It might be one of the fastest defensive and control rackets out there I fear, and yet found almost no reviews on it lol)

Probably going to purchase a Feather Weight in the future... But will do reviews on APACS that I have at this moment in time first.

I will not bother to review any of the Yonex rackets since there are plenty out there.. lol

5. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Hey mms6a, the racket was previously strung with Apacs Stern 9 @ 24lbs when purchased from ApacsCanada.

Hmm I thought I strung it with BG80, if it's 68Ti than it might have been restrung again by my friend when he wanted to try it out. Sorry about the grommets.

There was some quick write ups about the T500 in the forum, includes one from myself. I haven't used mine since it broke and got it replaced. I should give it a try again since it's on Stern 9 string.

#5 GaryC, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    i have got the T500 and i find it quite hard to use and it has injured my shoulder. hahaha so i have moved back to ligher racket like powerconcept 998 or T200 or lethal 90.

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    No worries GaryI got a bunch of Yonex grommets lying around anyways Your friend got good taste Bg68 ti is also what I have on my MusclePower 99 very good power output with good control ( control not as good as Bg66 ultimax though)Hopefully the Tantrum 500 won't kill my shoulders lolAlso hopefully the Tantrum 500 is as tough build quality as the Slayer 99 lol