positioning/covering the court with a lefty partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

im just wondering if there're any special considerations when partnered with a lefty (im a righty) in men's doubles. For example, if my partner's in the back court attacking, should i position myself on the same side as him or cover more the crosscourt angle? When i see a high lift/clear shot should i move back and cover for him and he come front to do the rotation? when I'm in the back attacking, should I be smashing to the middle or consider his forhand side?

2. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

it should be similar to playing with a righty, except you move half a step more away from his non-racket side (crosscourt side) since you can reduce the overlap but still be able to cover most of the court side and do a quick rotation when required.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Capnx, yes, you adjust accordingly. You also use body angle and racket head positions as well as stances to equalise the game. In the end, you have to adjust the speed you ... you're so lucky having a left-handed partner, because you have to learn faster to play equally well ... than other right-handed players.

(I started 15+y ago with a left-handed playing partner as kids and played with him for five years in a team ... as you, I'm right-handed.) I can remember ...

... opponents believe to have an edge shooting the sides and the centre, if our forehands cover the centre and the alleys --- inviting centred shots because our backhands' weakness are centred and the same for alley shots . Well, you know that they actually believe it ... it's so obvious ...

... and so, in midcourt defence awaiting a smash to the centre meant () we actually adjusted by having the racket head anticipating backhand action (so sometimes having one foot in front to make turning even more easier), if our backhands covered the centre, we actually tried to invite shots to the sides by giving up cover of the alleys! If on the other hand the opposite is true, backhands to the alleys, forehands covering the centre ... well we made sure we would not destroy our rackets in defence and left a huge gap in the midcourt centre.

In front-back formation, a bias towards backhand actions in body angle, foot and head positions remained, if you are the front man --- you play as if you play singles. The rear simply reacts to that: with most extreme situations so that you quickly reverse the positions.

All this meant, that we played our weakness against the initial believes of the opponent ... which meant that we had to be even faster with playing forehand drives, clears and smashes and net reply.