What are your opinions on Wilson racquets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DenniSinneD, Feb 13, 2012.

1. DenniSinneD

DenniSinneD Regular Member

Student, Store Clerk
    Maybe compare Wilson with other brands?Quality? Reliablility?

2. derekso

derekso Regular Member

wilson is decent i think. I used li-ning and yonex rackects. One day, all my rackects snapped so my coach offered me his wilson rackets. I must say, i was really impressed by them. don't know about reliability because i dont own it. i think the quality of wilson is not better but definetely not inferior to li-ning or yonex or victor.

3. tingdianh

tingdianh New Member

I think Wilson is good.It's cheap and good.

4. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    The wilson mid to high range rackets have always felt pretty good to me i was impressed when trying or borrowing one. I certainly wouldnt rate the quality of a high end wilson racket to be lower than mid range yonex rackets.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    cheap OEM stuff in all aspect.. pretty much comparable to smaller OEM brands and clone makers stuff.

I saw Sasakis Wilson separate from the handle two times in just two matches during Thomas cup..

Pretty bad marketing for their QC :)

I assume thay are made in Tawian (or maybe mainland china?) in OEM factory making rackets for a huge number of companies, and they then stick on their label?? Anyone have more details? JR could you fill us in?

#6 twobeer, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  6. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement:eek:. I assume you obviously have not used a high-end Wilson racquet?:p

Yes, a lot of people saw Sho Sasaki's racquet broke during TC, but not as many people knew similar breakage happed to Xie Zhongbo during 2007 AE, when the Chinese team was still sponsored by Yonex.

Judging the brand from one incident is just not fair. I actually own a Wilson BLX recon and I can tell you it is very solid.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I have a Wilson matrix, it feel solid but the accuracy not as good as my ti10.I think Wilson racquet are better than capbalang brand racquet but not as good as high end YONEX

8. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

I would use them if they made stiff rackets...they are all medium stiff -___-

9. cl427x

cl427x Regular Member

College Student
    i've been using the wilson [k]brave for years and it still holds up very well.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well it happened to more than one of his rackets during TC.. the second time was quite funny actually as he was about to block and the head just rotated 90 degrees when the shuttle hit it loosing an important point instantly (like a revolving door) when he held the racket as the handle obvioulsy lost its grip so the shaft rotated in the handle :)

I have had many wilson rackets, and if you dig in the archives you will see me recommending some of their cheaper stuff as great value for money.. But from a high-end perspective it is pretty obvious that it is a tennis company just doing badminton because it's "convenient" as it is the same retail channels. They recycle their tennis marketing and technology and doesn't seem very serious at all when it comes to badminton r&d. their high end stuff is comparable to Victors, LNs and Yonex mid to low range stuff imop.

11. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I own a Recon. the shaft is quite stiff

12. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    This failure is more common than many think, i've had 2 or 3 victor rackets break like that , a yonex arc7 and a forza once all were/are higher end rackets for those respective companies. I do agree though for it too happen twice in the TC is poor for wilson, however i doubt a club player paying mid range yonex money for a racket would suffer a similar fate. :eek:

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    The most important thing is my wilson never fail me