Linking two Windows computers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cheung, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another request for help for you clever computer chaps out there.

So now I got Windows XP home on my desktop.

Now, I am also going to get an old Sony Vaio notebook (it's free!). It runs Win2000 pro and also has a IE1394 socket.

I'd like to link the two up via the 1394 sockets for transfer of files between hard drives. Is that possible? If so, how?

Also, would I be able to use the CD drive in my desktop to install programs to the notebook.

Thanks in advance for replies

2. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

XP home?! Ew, Yuck, etc, sorry I have to say that.

However for this application it's probably adequate. I'm assuming you have a friewire cable and a spare firewire socket on your desktop [1]? If so just connect the two comps together, the XP one should recognise the link straight away, and the connection should appear in the icon area in the bottom right hand corner. The 2000 Pro should be similarly easy (though I can't remember exactly how it appears).

Oh NB!! You may have to disable, or modify your firewall (assuming you're running one) first.

Also you'll have to share you hard drives so that you can view the files.

Yes you'll be able to use the CD on the desktop to install stuff on the notebook.

[1] If you don't have a cable go buy one, they are like $10 US, if you don't have spare firewire socket on your comp, you can buy a firewire PCI card, which if you look around enough, you can get for about $20 US.

#2 Pecheur, Jul 22, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  3. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Huh, that easy? I thought it would be harder considering my last escapade with the firewire hard drive reconfiguration under WinME.

Yup, both computers have the firewire ports and I have the proper connection as well.:)

Pecheur, you are difficult to please:D
    First my hardware is out of date, then my OS is no good. You must be one difficult person to work with:D:D

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I have Windows 2000 Pro on my work laptop and my gf has XP. When we work from home we have a router to connect everything which dials out on an ISDN line.
    Anyway, transferring stuff between the 2 is easy, just have to share the drives.
    Similar process on 2000 as XP.

P.S. I know almost nothing (technical) about computers, so don't start asking me questions. (

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, life is not so simple:(

IT DIDN'T WORK. Pecheur, you sure are a joker;)

I think what's happened is the laptop is an old one. It has a firewire port built in. BUT the OS got upgraded to win2Kpro. In any case, I have to load the driver in.:(

PS, if you think I am so clever to be able to diagnose this, you are wrong. Somebody else helped me out:p

7. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Hey don't blame me if you don't give me all the information ;P

So you haven't got the firewire port on the laptop working at all? If it is working then I'm surprised it didn't do something. What was the exact error message?

If you're just missing the drivers go to http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/ and download the correct driver.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hey, I didn't know it made a difference!! I thought win2kPro would automatically detect the firewire port and load up the correct driver. Obviously me and Microsoft don't quite think alike. Maybe my thinking is too simple for them:D

Thanks for the link. I'll try and load down the correct driver and see what happens.

9. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

The cross over cable method is probably the most common/easiest way to link those two computers.

10. viver

viver Regular Member

Hmm, I am also using W2K Pro and thought that the firewire port was detected automatically. After setting the wires properly, in the Control Panel/System I was able to see the connection.

Well, guess have to wait for the outcome of your experiences ;)

11. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    There are many methods of directly connecting 2 computers. Listed according to approximate speed. slowest -> fastest

Infra red
    Null modem cable (serial -> serial)
    Bluetooth
    USB 1.1
    Network Cable (Ethernet)
    Firewire 400
    USB 2
    Firewire 800

So you can try any of the above if you get stuck using the firewire.

To check if a physical connection is established, on both machines, open the network connections window and see if the firewire (1394 or iLink) icon is available. If you right click on the firewire icon then go to properties, and check the box to show notification icon when connected...then a message will appear telling you when it is connected.

To check if a driver is installed properly, open My computer -> control panel -> system -> hardware -> Device manager and look for firewire. It might be listed under networks or multimedia. If there is a triangle next to it, it means the driver is not installed properly. If there is no firewire (or derivative name) listed, then either the driver is not installed at all, or the physical port is damaged.

Sony Vaio's should come with software to connect to other computers through Firewire (called iLink on Vaio) via it's software called smartconnect?

To enable file sharing in Win XP, you have to right click on the drives you want to share (Hardisk, CD rom etc) and manually enable sharing. Once done, your drive icons should all have a hand icon at the bottom.

By the way, are you connecting 4 pin to 6 pin? or 4 pin to 4 pin? (check on the ends of the firewire cable).

Hope this helps.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Here's an update ;)

On my desktop, everything is working fine ( I think). I definately know the firewire is working becuase I have a firewire hardrive linked up and that works fine.....now (check out my previous thread on firewire drive in ChitChat forum)

I can enable the sharing of folders.

In the Sony Vaio, I've installed all the drivers I can find. However, I get a code 10 (this device cannot start), I tried looking for an update driver via the link Pecheur supplied but none seems to exist, (the model number of the Vaio is PCG-505TS).

Well, I'm trying to obtain the recovery disk for the Sony and a CDROM (I can only borrow these). If successful, that would mean going back to win98, but maybe I can get the built in 4 pin firewire connection to work using the Sony software.

Thanks for all those other options of linking two computers but I'm only interested in firewire 400 since I have those connections already for my external hardrive.

BTW, what significance do the 4 pin to 6 pin have for conenecting the two computers??

13. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

There's: http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/pc/pcg505tstx/
    Which is the software and driver pack for your model, unfortunately it's designed for Win98SE, whether it will work for Win2K I have no idea and make no promises.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, the firewire drivers are not available on that page so if the recovery disk doesn't work, then I'm stuck:(

I guess one other way would be to try winXP but running the OS will be slower than me on a badminton court (but not by much:D).

15. racketguy

racketguy New Member

Engineer
    First of all. The firewire 1394 protocol is not designed for linking two computers. It's designed for CE products. The regular firewire cable is not cross, so the send signal will never reach the receiver side, means no communications.

If both of your computers have the network port 10/100/1000 or whatever, just buy the cross cable (pin 1-pin3, pin2-pin6) and you will have the network connection establish. The network is designed for PC communications, it'll work with any protocol. For beginner, just use the regular NETBEUI protocol and it allows you to share two computers without hassle.

Check out this link. http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

I live and work in Silicon Valley, so trust me. Here is my current company link www.snapappliance.com

16. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Correction

For your information, you CAN connect pcs together with iLink (firewire).

For example, Sony bundles Smart connect with their Vaios for this very purpose.

Here is what it states:

* Sharing Files
    * Printing from a connected computer's printer
    * Using network applications that rely on TCP/IP protocol
    * Using TCP//IP to connect to non-Sony computers (though smart connect should be preinstalled).

The version I am using is V.3 and is pre Windows XP. It is compatilble with Windows 2000 pro and semi compatible with Windows ME.

Here is the official Sony guide: http://www.sel.sony.com/clubvaio/tutorial/management/connect.html

Cheung: I can supply you with smart connect v3 if you can not obtain it yourself.

I don't live or work in Silicon valley. Here is my company link
    www.yeah_yeah_whatever.com

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It looks like I can't get the recovery disk:(

I don't have LAN on my desktop so don't have that option of linking.

might need that smart connect software. An apt name since Microsoft doesn't seem to be smart enough itself to help out with these things. And I thought this was going to be easy
    :rolleyes:

18. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Okay I shouldn't say this, but since your laptop has lan connection, you may want to do a cost/benefit analysis and buy yourself a lan card and crossover cable, shouldn't cost much more than $100 HK in total. Of course given your situation I'd check if your lan port on the laptop is recognised first ;)

19. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

I agree with Pecheur. Why not just buy a cross-over cable(not expensive at all) and save all the hassle with the trouble you are having with the firewire. I assume you probably already have an ethernet card (PCMCIA II,etc) in your laptop and system so it would be simple just to connect the two computers together. It shouldn't take very long to setup the network between the two.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Because I don't have an ethernet connection;)

Anyway, temporary delay in connecting the computers - reasons being playing badminton, tournament and watching the WC on TV.