Having problems with my yonex voltric 80 please help

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by subzero1856, Feb 15, 2012.

1. subzero1856

subzero1856 Regular Member

I had been using a wilson ncode for a few years. I taught it was time to upgrade. So I bought a vt80. I am now having problems with the smash also making a lot of errors. How can I sort this out

2. Cattex

Cattex Regular Member

I play with both an AS10 and the VT80. One of the problems you might be having is adjusting to a dfifferent swing speed. I had quite a few problems adjusting inititally but now I can swap between them fairly well - there is a transitional period of a few shots where I am not quite as sharp.

In my case it took me time to learn that with the VT80 I don't have to generate nearly as much racket head speed to produce the same power shot as the AS10. The extra head weight means a better aimed, mored composed shot is possible. If I try to swing the racket head as fast as the AS10 I loose control and timing. Essentially I to learn to adjust my game.

I hope this helps!

3. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    which ncode u used. what's their specs? some of ncode length shorter than others maybe around 670mm... vt80 is head heavy and stiff standard lenght.. maybe that's why you're having problem using it. most of it maybe because of timing.. you will overcome it over time.. so keep using it :D...

4. subzero1856

The ncode was just a standard racket I bought from my lot shop for like £50. It does say anything but ncode on it. I have measured the two rackets and they are the same length and the head is located in the same place and equal size

5. subzero1856

Do you think I should put less power when I swing. Also do you think a bigger group or smaller grip will help me

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

honestly, nobody can give you meaningful advice because all you have said is that you have a problem, and not described anything about it or shown any video. It could be virtually anything

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    instead of playing games, do some drills to get used to the new weight and balance of the racket. soon you will be comfortable with it.

if indeed you cannot adjust to it after a couple of weeks, then it may be due to:

1. the racket weight/balance not suitable for you.
    2. that's too much racket for you. the VT80 is a very head-heavy racket that requires good and strong technique.

9. subzero1856

Can you recommend a good alternative. Something with power but even weight

10. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're playing singles, then vt80 is perfect. As long as you're not getting sore wrist, shoulder from it, you should be able to gradually adjust to it and get stronger thru it.

However for doubles, you'll need something faster and less head heavy, like mx80,70 or arc10 or even 4u sw35,30.

11. subzero1856

I'm still winning plenty in doubles singles is where I'm having trouble. Also I don't get sore pains from the vt80

#11 subzero1856, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. subzero1856

Thing is I would say I'm a good amateur who's been playing for like 10 years. Should i be using the vt80

#12 subzero1856, Feb 15, 2012
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Strange... I would've expected the other way around.
    Only you know yourself best as to what racket wt and balance you can handle. And it's not as if you're going to suddenly find your holy grail racket overnight... a lot of us are still searching for "it". :). And to make it worse, our skills improve (hopefully) and our requirements change over time, and thence further racket searching. :p :)

14. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Even playing for 10 years you might have developed bad habits/techniques. I know for myself I tend to wrist flexion rather than a true forearm pronation, it is a habit I cannot ditch. When using a head heavy racket its really important to use forearms and not trying to wrist "snap" when executing power strokes. Try to find Youtube videos of pros hitting and see if you are pronating. With proper hitting technique using head heavy rackets should give you bigger margin of error during singles.

If that doesn't work just try something with less weight like arc 10, even balance, stiff but not overly so, good for doubles and singles.

#14 Iori, Feb 15, 2012
  15. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I had the same problem with the VT80 at first.. It felt completely different than my AT900P... The swing speed is different and the flex is different.. It took a lot of drills to finally adapt to the racquet... But once you adapt to it, you'd realize how inconsistent the shaft is... And your shots flies out because it suddenly goes soft and flexes on an underhand forehand push :(