Yellow Card for not shaking hands

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i heard there is a new rule.. You will get a yellow card for not shaking hands with your opponent at the end of the match.

what kinda stupid rule is that? You can't force people to act politely..

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    sportmanship. Just do it. ;)

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

how does the yellow card affect your future games? Does the card stay with you throughout the tournament? Otherwise, what's the point of giving out the card at the end of the match?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I think BWF had enacted a fine if they don't shake hands first before they run around the court shirtless jumping for joy celebrating their win with their coaches or just plain old doing the Lin-dance. :p :D

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I posted this in the other thread when LCW played Chen Long and Chen Long won, running off court celebrating.

It's for a show of sportsmanship, the 1st thing you must do is shake the technical official and opponents' hands. There is a small fine for those who don't. I think it is a good rule for the game.

This rule is bad? You should see what other sports in America fine for. $15k for not wearing correct color shoes in a football match. A fine in basketball for not dressing up nicely with media around (to show that the players have good images) etc.

I think this is a forward step for badminton. Show some courtesy for your opponent.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what Lin Dan did right after he won against LCW in TC2010 and WC2011 were rude and disrespectful.

but thanking your own coach before shaking hands with opponent, i don't understand why players should be punished for that.. i don't see the logic..

#6 pcll99, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I don't understand how you find it disrespectful, if I won these matches in the circumstances, I would have done the same thing...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I'd like to see you post a video of you doing a shirtless Lin-dance next time you win. :p :)

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

if I won the world championships, I would do it no question:p

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"You act like a sportsman or so help us, we'll punish you!" The only way this makes sense is if it's a deterrent, to stop little Tommy steaming off into the crowd after winning his under-13 badminton tournament.

Do we think the IBF has been monitoring the Luis Suarez situation?:D

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^^the crowd made up of his parents and the sports centre staff:p

Seriously though, it's ridiculous, if you play someone and your not expected to win, and pull off a 21-19 in the third, don't get too excited, walk calmly towards your opponent shake hands, then with the umpire and service judge, and only then (when the moment has well and truly gone) you can do any sort of celebration or show emotion.

Come on BWF, get a grip, this is making badminton less of a spectacle, and making it boring...

12. CantSmashThis

Let's look at it this way; you played a spectacular match but unfortunately not everything went your way. You end losing a close match and go up to shake your opponents' hands, but he's off celebrating running around, it seems like it's a shove in your face does it not? At least show respect to the loser before you go off celebrating.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I wouldnt see it like that, you win some you lose some, I would think that I'd get lucky another time or decisions would go my way then, and would understand what they are feeling cause I would feel the same way.

You don't have to shake hands at the net, you can wait till after the game, it doesnt have to be in public display in my opinion...

14. CantSmashThis

As the loser, I'd most likely want to get out of there ASAP. I'm not gonna be standing there waiting for my opponent to run around the gym and come back to shake my hand.

15. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I laughed out loud at that, have to figure out a way to fit that term into a conversation :p

16. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

No offence, but I think you grow up in a very different era where self-ego takes priority over everything else.
    While there is nothing wrong with celebrating passionately for your win, you could also be more considerate and tactful by doing so after shaking hand with your opponents.

Gone were the days where courtesy and manners were the norm of the society. These days, our society are filled with people with the "I am the center of the world and could not care less about others" attitude. This trait is most commonly found among the youngsters who grow up in the period where the UK government has a very soft stand against the youth and minor's misbehaviours.

While there are times where I would like to commend for the confidence displayed by those youths but sometimes I think these people went abit too much.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I entirely agree with the above.

But forcing people to be polite will not work.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This rule is really stupid because it is not serious enough

Agree... I find that BWF to give out yellow card to player for not doing the handshake with opponent immediately after the match is really stupid, IMHO.

If BWF is serious about this matter, the player should be banned for live.

This is the only way to enforce the rule:

Do it, or don't play Badminton at all. ;););)

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't see anything wrong with thanking your own coach first before shaking hands with your opponents...

If BWF is serious about enforcing politeness, they should punish people who do a LIN-dance (or taking off their shirts) immediately after victory instead of punishing people who thank their coaches before shaking hands with opponents...

#19 pcll99, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    For me, BWF are still not strict enough about what their protocol......

I also see that players are thanking their coaches first before shaking hands with their opponents.

But, in Badminton, our BWF (as our international governing body) must decide what protocol Badminton players should follow.

Here, we are talking about how BWF wish to conduct our Badminton players' etiquette of diplomacy and affairs.

In Soccer, players celebrate with their coaches, teammates (from the bench) and team supporters first, before they shake hands with their opponents.

In Judo, participants don't even shake hands, they bow to their opponents.

In Tennis, players thank their opponents first, then the umpire before they they thank their coaches and supporters.

etc, etc, ......

What I see is BWF is wishing to follow the same protocol as for Tennis.

Firstly, we find that BWF will impose a fine $100 to players for celebrating with coaches and teammates first. It didn't work, did it?.

Now, we find that BWF will give a yellow card to players for not shaking hands with their opponents first at the end of the match.

All these fines and yellow cards are not a serious enough (for how BWF wish to conduct the protocol for Badminton players to follow).

I am a coach. I don't mind players celebrating with me first before they shake hands with their opponents (even if I were to be paying the $100 fine for the players). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, BWF is mentioning about issuing the yellow card. :eek::eek::eek:

For me, BWF are still not strict enough about what protocol they wish for our players to follow.

#20 chris-ccc, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012