the benefits of baminton camps???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Aotis, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    ok I did a search but nothing similar came up, so here's my question:

what are the benefits and IDEAS of badminton camps ?

to elaborate, I always see badminton camps being offered during the summer. You know, the 5 day things for a couple hunder bux. I see people train for years to be good, so how does training for 5 days help? I am asking because I've never been to one and would like anyone's opinion. and if you're an experienced CAMPER, please tell us all what these camps are like and what they're all about :) and are they worth the cost? sorry I didn't compose my thoughts, but you understand... :)

2. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Main banefits:
    -You will have different coach. Typically the coach is of very high class.
    -You will spend cca 5 hours dayly on court. Total 20-30 hours. It will bring you back to the skill level before you started summer break. Maybe even higher.
    -It's good oportunity to find new friends and play against new oponents.

3. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    the benefits of badminton camps

I think badminton camps have many benefits. For one, you get to hear about your mistakes and such from another coach. Also, with a camp, you may be more focused that you are there to correct things and learn, than you would at just an ordinary practice. Just my opinion.

4. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I think the purpose of these camps is to expose participants to new things and the correct way of doing them--techniques, training methods, strategies. Many kids come into the camps without having had quality coaching, so they find out how much more there really is to this game. Of course, it's only a crash course--an introduction. After that, it's up to the player to take what he/she has learned and practice it, and getting personal coaching if he/she needs it and can afford it. When the camp is over, so many kids pack their racquets away and don't get them out again until next season. I think that's a waste. I mean, what's the point? Do they think the benefits will just magically appear when their game comes out of hibernation?

If you really want to improve, go to a camp, but that's only a start. Make it a point to go out the next week, and the next, and the whole year, and practice what you've learned.

5. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    i agree with the above opinions about learning from different coaches - it's certainly important to have different WAYS of teaching you. Camps also take you out of the club situation of just playing games all the time, and really get down to the nitty gritty tech skills, which is very important.
    I'm going to a camp in mid august, and one thing about it is that there are coaches different eras as well! Dorothy Oniell, for example, used to play in the big time many decades ago. Don Paup as well, used to be on the USA's top doubles team. There are also younger coaches, who are still competing now, like Melinda Keszthelyi and Andy Chong. So camps really give you well rounded coaching advice.
    gregory

6. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    that's the same reason why experienced chefs travel from place to place, country to country to attend workshops and seminars... to learn new things, new ways and styles.

same goes for doctors and etc...

7. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

i dont think that badminton camps are efficient, because you will get people of all ages, and people of all different skill levels, and they will be very hard to coach, even with many coaches. In many camps that i have seen, the coaches try to drill the people, but eventually it turns into an open gym

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    It seems that you have had bad experiences with camps then. The one I've been to had kids ranging from 12-18. But they were grouped between levels.

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Like mentioned, ppl get good playing many years..and how does the camp help? Well, because it's in the summer, many ppl usually have taken a break before the camp (considering it's summer, relax from badminton)..and therefore use the camp as a session to get back into things. Another thing is taht the coach does introduce new drills or drills known to you but you can continue to practice. Depending on the camp, there maybe fitness exercises involved..and this so being another reason for how a camp helps u, improve ur fitness.

I suppose if you are already at a high level of play, a more difficult camp would be necessary for you to train..but for the lower skilled (like me)..a 5 day camp is good to work on the skills you already have and get tips and work on new skills from the coach.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have never been to a badminton camp before -- i wish i had, but too old now...

but i think one of the major advantage is that you get to play different ppl. and also have a different coach as well, but to meet different ppl with similar dedicated interest and being able to spend a full week with them should be a positive experience. to have new friends is one thing, but to meet new friends who has similar interests is much better!

imagine everybody in BF come together for a week and we do nothing but play badminton. it will be awesome. :)

11. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

kwun, never too old to join a camp:) ..i've actually seen camps for the more older people.

And yes, imagine if there was a BF get-together...we could all share experiences and tips..i remember a thread on a big BF tournament, too bad that never advanced

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I went to one badminton camp when I was young. I can't remember learning much!

One thing, it is all day. Nothing like I had experienced before. SO it is quite mentally and physically tiring. I advise participants to go and train up their fitness levels before going as physical fatigue affects the mental ability to learn and get the most out of the camp.

Probably many of the coaches have trained fulltime before and forgotten how tiring it can be for a person not used to it.

13. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    another thing - you can meet potential doubles parters at camps! I met a mixed partner by accident and now i go to play tournaments with her. never know who you'll meet there.
    g

14. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Actually, not all camps are expensive. Back in the early 1990's (I'm not sure whether this is still availalbe), there were badmiton summer camps offered run by qualified coaches in the Toronto area where you get to go for free (eg. The one that are being run by John Gilbert at Forest Hill Collegiate and the one ran by Mitch Casquenette at the Danforth Tech Collegiate Insistitue). It's free to join those camps because they are being sponsored by the board of education. All we need to do is be a tax payer in Toronto, and we're allowed to sign up for those camps.