Park Joo Bong as a coach

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by fmqpt791004, Feb 16, 2012.

1. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    I was surprised he can speak Japanese quite fluently.

Do you think Park Joo Bong brought some positive change in Japanese national team?

I heard it a lot from the BWF commentator. just wondering.

Can anyone provide a comparison the results of before and after?

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yeah, I think he has done a good job :) if you look at the current players in the Japan team, and their WR then it is much improved from before, the Japan team as a whole is in a better position now than it was before hand.

3. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

They can be better if they were full time players.

4. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Agree with LD rules! The results now are very evident that they are performing better now than before. Just a simple example, the men national team beat Malaysia in previous Thomas Cup (which is unprecedented). On the whole, both men and women players have benefited a lot under Park Joo Bong's direction and guidance. Just hope they can continue to keep up their hard work and dedication.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yes, as suetyan says, the majority are part time, for example, Tago is only part time as he is studying. Once he's finished studying I'm sure he will improve further. His performance considering him being only part time, are impressive IMO...

6. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    A coach soon to be viewed as a national traitor from his home country. :p

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

if this so, then that means another Korean Yoo Yong Sung who now coaching Malaysian's men double department also viewed as traitor since Malaysian No.1 pair Koo/Tan finally beat their nemesis Ko/Yoo of Korea for the first time...?

8. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    This opinion is far more complicated than that and in fact people from Korea would see this from a political point of view. He is helping a Japan, a nation generally viewed as a bitter rival or most despised country by Korea to play badminton at the same level as his home country plus he is teaching them techniques and sharing knowledges he gained from Korea to help Japan improve their game.

I dont wish to flare up any issues be it political but that's just how i see in a Korean perspective now that Japan is doing slightly better than Korea in the team event in absence of Jung Jae Sung.

9. fmqpt791004

College Student
    in my perspective, he is nowhere near to traitor.

He is bringing higher reputation of Korean coaches.

As I am one of Korean, I am happy for his success and proud of his work.

Not only Coach Park Joo Bong is working for other team or other nation.
    And he coached in France and England before.

Lee Jae Bok has his own badminton academy in England.
    Yes, Yoo Yeon Sung is working Malaysian MD.
    Kim Dong Moon used to work in Canada.

Korea also benefited from Li Mao specially on Men's single.
    I hope he gets respect from Chinese people as well as other Chinese badminton coaches.

10. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student

Sorry i guess you miss what the point i was trying to make here. Referring to Japan, politically and historically it has always been at loggerheads with Korea in all aspects. Their great rivalry and conflicts extends from battlefield to the context of sports. I would never imagine a Korean like Park Joo Bong would choose to travel across the neighbouring rival to train the Japanese players using the Korean skills and knowledge.

This situation is different compared to China and other countries. If I am a Korean player let's say, I wouldnt agree or be too happy with what Park Joo Bong has done because he has made my rival or enemy should i take it that far as good or even better me using training recipes created originally
    Korea.

Well, why don't he help other countries that need better coaching quality than Japan, not USA, Canada? Well it's down to his personal choice anyway, or is it ?

11. fmqpt791004

College Student
    It is not always true that Korea and Japan are head to head at everything.
    Many Japanese Manga-s have a contribution of Korean production.
    Many Japanese movies and dramas are popular in Korea.
    Many Korea pop songs and drama are popular in Korea.
    It is true that Japan and Korea have not fully resolved the historical conflict.
    It seems those conflicts and resolutions are on the politicians' hand.

It seems that nationalism has watered down specially in sports and media arts.
    In comparison of those two national badminton team, Korea has better records even though badminton
    is more individual sports. I don't see much rivalship in badminton.

It is too bad Korea is missing Park Joo Bong, but Korea has other great coaches. Not all Korean players become a coach in Korea after their retirement. If you are a pro-player, maybe you should look after him, because he has already made some connections to other national badminton teams. At this point, if you believe Coach Park knows special ingredient to make a player better, you can probably ask him in person. Or Ask Korean team to train together with Japan for several weeks. Pro-players play for money, represent their nation, but most importantly the money comes because this sports in entertaining. More entertaining, more money comes. I believe more competitiveness brings more entertainment. So in long run, it will benefit you too.
    I don't believe such thing as secret recipe.

As a professional sportsmen, he has a priority to concern where to coach. I am not sure about that since I don't know Park Joo Bong in person. I am not sure about the details of deal for Park to coach in Japan. My point is that it is not necessarily one way that Park helping Japan. There are many benefits for Park to coach in Japan. It will be easier for Park to coach in Japan because there are many similarities between Japanese and Korean culture. Geographically, Japan is very close to Korea. So, probably he can visit his families more often.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He is a great coach. Very dedicated after so many years in japan. Results do take time. A waste for his previous charges. ;)

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    The Korean national badminton association trusted Park's coaching, its as simple as that. There wasn't much result in the first year or so but they went along with him. Now its bearing fruits and that's the beauty of success :D

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's JAPAN, not Korea!

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    POST NO.13

Yes, should be JAPAN not Korea national badminton association :eek:.

My mistake, sorry :p.

16. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    Park doing a good job here
    Japan crushed INA and cause PBSI a lot of trouble now
    If no changes from INA and MAS, in the next 5-10 years, there will be only 4 power, CHN KOR DEN JPN

do not agree someone said that Park is nation traitor cause of training in JPN...
    what era is it now??you still live in the past!!!!

Rexy coach MAS.. MAS and INA relation is worse than JPN-KOR i think..
    Tony Halim moved to USA and play for USA

17. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    PJB has done wonders in all the countries that he have privilege to coach. Malaysia did not value his contribution and it was a lost to us.

18. event

event Regular Member

Definitely true.
    Actually, this already happens for a few days, not weeks, several times a year and at junior and senior levels. It isn't just because of Park Joo Bong, though. Coach Sung just took a big contingent (minus the Olympians) to Japan yesterday for the 29th annual edition of the national team version. 29 years means it started around the time Park started winning international titles. I believe that around the early 80s, Korea hadn't won anything yet so funding was a problem. Japan had an international tournament, top players and coaches, and the leading badminton manufacturer (which sponsored Korea for decades) at that time so the current situation is a reversal of the original roles.

19. Qingyan

Qingyan Regular Member

Student
    hi,
    i know this might not be related to the thread, but does anyone has any idea who the coach for the korea team WS is? :D

20. event

event Regular Member