Train badminton with tennis racquet

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alan_usa, Jul 23, 2003.

1. alan_usa

alan_usa Regular Member

I recently saw a club member playing doubles game with a tennis racquet. I was told it is a good to train your arm and wrist. Someone even goes as far as claiming many top players train with tennis racquet. I could be ignorant of this but remain suspicious of the claim and like to get some comment from experts. In general, can someone suggest me how to train a powerful wrist. Thanks.

Alan

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do a search of either "squash racket" or "tennis racket". you will find tons of discussion on it.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Get a lot more successful if you learn to use finger power and technique! Just training wrist power, per se, will be of limited benefit.

4. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    We have a guest in our club who likes to play both tennis and badminton, i'm just in awe everytime he uses his backhand, outrageouosly powerful.

5. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Ah yes, training badminton with a tennis racket. I remember I had to do that when I went to one of my cousin's training sessions in Malaysia. Was so tiring but it really did do some good to ya afterwards.

I remember having a game of singles against the coach and he played with the tennis racket and I got slaughtered 15-0.

Might do that method of training again come to think of it...

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Kennyb, do you think it really is that helpful? I find the grip of the tennis racquet so large, it's very difficult to swing with the correct grip technique using fingers and thumb. I have to hold the racquet very tightly so that the racquet doesn't fly out of my hand.. My preference is for a squash racquet and its smaller size grip.

Perhaps my hands are small.:)

On the other hand, I have seen Zhang Jun of China warm up his swings with a tennis racquet just before a match.

7. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Yeh, I actually did find it useful. It strengthened my arm and the power/speed of my swings. But now it's all wasted thanks to studying.... *pah*

Indeed the grip is totally different and I did have some troubles at first but in the end it was more to do with getting use to it.

But I do agree, you need a big hand inorder to hold it well. But I think it is to do with the size of teh tennis racket because there are 2 different sizes of tennis racket - indoor and outdoor rackets. (One being shorter than the other.)

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A really good player uses his tennis racket for warm up, sometimes even for 1 or 2 single games.

I assume he's doing this for strength purpose. During single games, he focus on clear and drop, smash is definitely not effective due to much slower swing speed.

9. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I know a top international player who trained with a squash or tennis raquet (i don't remember) and they ended up hurting their elbow. is there a proper way to to use a heavier raquet for badminton training? does anyone else know of more people who wind up hurting themselves training with these heavy raquets?

10. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I don't think it's a good idea to try swinging a tennis racquet the same way you would a badminton racquet.

What about just using a heavier badminton racquet--about 10-15 grams heavier that what you're used to?

11. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    In Indonesia, it is usual to use squash racket (not tennis racket) for training. Especially in the clubs.
    Not for a game, but just for finger and wrist power.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

According to my coach, Chinese national team use tennis racquet to train ONLY swings. Nothing else.

13. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Training in a equivalent way.

If you don't want to risk injury from using tennis rakcet for training, then get a badminton racket which is heavier than your racket which you normally use to play - there will be some improvement and difference to your power of your stroke.

I mention this because ever since I broke my old SP, I was converted to use a cheap £5 racket from Malaysia which my cousin brought over and in fairness, it actually plays very well. Only now that I got myself a new SP, when I start using it again, my swing seems much faster and stronger. The reason was that the SP was much lighter than my other.

Something you may like think take into consideration if you want to go training and not have a tennis racket.

:)

14. Yu Mo Cao

Yu Mo Cao New Member

Student
    Hi there! I'm new here..but I came across reading this and if heard from many tennis players that if they were to play tennis with the same technique you would use in badminton, there is a very high chance that you will break your wrist due to the weight. However, I believe many people like to warm up with a squash racquet.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    One time, after playing racquetball (same as squash except ball is bouncier and racquet is shorter) for awhile... I played a pickup game of badminton. Boy, was my swing strong! Totally effortless! I think there is a validity to warming up with a heavier racquet before play. Don't know about tennis though, isn't it more of an arm swing than anything else?

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think the majority of us agree that swinging the tennis racquet is OK for traiing the swing but actually playing a game with a tennis racquet is a different proposition.

17. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Yes.... Cheung.
    I use squash racket for training. Also when I give a training for my players.
    I use squash racket because tennis racket is too heavy.

The purpose of using squash racket is to train finger and wrist power, also for swing.
    Sometime also dab on the net.
    The training run 1 minute hitting and 0.5 minute pause. All the training is not more than 30 minutes.
    For swing or drive, sometime can take 2-3 minutes without pause

I never used squash racket in the game. Because it is danger.
    Can be overloaded.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

yes, I should be more accurate. A tennis racquet seems OK to some people for training but not games. Majority will use a squash racquet for training but not sure about games.

19. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Using squash racket for playing is not a good idea.

Beside using squash racket we use also heavy waistcoat (?) to train footwork. The purpose is that the player can move around the court faster.
    In the other word is to get more speed and jump higher.
    Sometime we added also a heavy enkelband.

We are using this coat for game, but just 5 points game.

20. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

when i was in the club, we used to train using squash racket and put additional weight on our leg around 1kg each.

in my province (back in Indonesia), they always gamble for every match that they play ... you can see ex-national and ex-state players using squash rackets and holding a plastic chair on their left hand.