appearance of ardy wiranata edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by yonexfanatic, Jul 24, 2003.

1. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

anyone in edmonton or in the edmonton area wishing to check out former world number one, ardy wiranata, play..he's participating in the yonex alberta series tournament at the derrick club this friday and saturday (july 25-26)

2. Absinthe

Absinthe Regular Member

PeBuluTangkis + Business Owner + International Rec
    Argh, missed it. Any chance he's coming to Vancouver?
    Does he still have that same hair style? :D

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    his hair is shorter nowadays

4. yonexfanatic

his hair is still kinda long..but shorter like cooler mentioned.. (long as in compared to mine:D )...

but anyways, he was crazy...he won singles (pretty much a no doubter) beating kyle foley...for a 34 year old, he's still awesome at the game and it seemed like he didnt' try TOO hard. ..obviously he's more a singles player than doubles...and lost in the finals.

there are still 4 more yonex alberta series to be held in 2003...and ardy will most likely play in at least another of the 4. If you want, i can find the dates and tell you

5. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Too bad I missed it. I haven't checked BF in a few weeks. Anyways, keep us posted, since I'm back in Edmonton now. Yonexfanatic, check your PM. :)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, i think ardy can beat any canadian player in MS at less than 100% effort. As for MD, he usually pair up with a fren or one of his student as compare to most MD pairs which would have practiced and played together for some time. I didnt watch that tournament so it's really my view.

7. yonexfanatic

yeah..cooler, your point of view was pretty accurate. From my knowledge and observing his games at the tourny, I too also believe that he can defeat any canadian player at less than 100% effort. He was partnered with kyle foley except i'm not sure which club he trains at..but since you mentioned ardy usually partners with his students, i'm guessing kyle is part of the glencoe?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yeah, i believe K. foley is a glencoe member. He is not in the national team. I saw him pair up with ardy once before. I think foley is a A- player. That was a year ago.

#8 cooler, Jul 29, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  9. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

Would have loved to watch him in action...

10. yonexfanatic

yeah, he's A- player...he can easily take on top B now..but he's not at the level to be able to play national

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ardy Wiranata

Watching him in action was quite exhilirating. Despite missing the singles on friday, I manage to come in for the mens doubles the next day... just to find out what I had missed. I couldn't close my mouth after watch his crosscourt drops skimmed the net a few times. Just wish that more quality professionals would pass through Edmonton for plays.

12. yonexfanatic

yeah, he's amazing. cappy u were there for the doubles? maybe i saw you...do you play at any of the edmonton clubs?

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Sure thing, Jeff! I even saw you won the "B" Mens doubles. Congratulations! Your father must be so proud of you that he even tape your plays :) .

14. yonexfanatic

..hmm..i know i saw a lot of ppl that i knew watch the tournament...but i'm still not sure who you are :D

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Actually, we seldom played together... it's quite a privilege for me when I get to play with a player of your calibre, it's not often that I play with trained players in local badminton clubs.

As for clubs I frequent, I play mostly at the U of A Club and Chinese Badminton Club. I have also joined the St. Albert club for the summer (they play at Concordia on sundays), but in the fall, I might consider joining IBC if timing is good.

I have to admit that I was shocked when someone mentioned that you beat another good player I knew in the tournament.

Hint: we first met in GMCC downtown gym on an EDBA night.;)

Later, buddy!

16. yonexfanatic

haha, i actually know quite a lot of ppl that fit that description that came by to watch the tournament...i have an idea of who you are...but it'd be best if you gave me your name, haha..either on here if you are comfortable or by a private message.:D

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! Well, aren't you a popular guy!!! I am not uncomfortable revealing my name on this forum. Heck, who knows... I might even get my very own bonne-fide stalker if I am lucky:p Anyway, I just hope that I didn't offend you for "outing" you on this forum :eek:

Forthright to a fault,

Ming

18. yonexfanatic

haha..sup Ming, i kinda figured it was you..wasn't 100% sure though..i knew it couldn't be murphy cause he has a different name on badmintonforum..and i just couldn't think of anyone else that would use the forum..but anyways...which session do you play for the chinese club?

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Nah, don't think Murphy would chat in this forum... he's too shy:D

As for the sessions at CBC, I am not in either of the sessions. It seems that this summer is pretty slow for everybody, so when I heard that the St. Albert club has moved its site to Concordia for the summer... I joined there instead. Higher quality of play there... had the pleasure and opportunity of playing with higher calibre of players than the ones in CBC. Not to say that CBC doesn't have high calibre players. But what sold me was the fact that we have a two games system and three full hours of play. Of course, our number is also very few, so most of the time we just play continuously.

Where do you play these days? You should come in and join us there! Austin was there once with Soon (his father):). So if there's no-one you know there, at least you still have me and Murphy to kick around:D

20. yonexfanatic

haha, oic. Yeah, i would have to agree with you that the calibure of the players at CBC isn't as good as some of the other clubs such as castledowns and what not. I've never been to the St. Albert club so I wouldn't know the skill level there. What days does the St. Albert club play?

Anyways, currently, i'm just playing in session 2 CBC just to relax and have fun..when the summer ends, i'll be back at IBC cause it's more competitive. But besides CBC, i have the chance to go to the Derrick and have some good competitive games there so it's all good.