Louder/ More Powerful Smash from tighter or looser strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Justheretoplay, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering if you have your strings strung at a higher tension, will you get a more powerful smashing sound and a harder smash? or vice-versa

2. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

depends, a higher tension lets you smash harder and louder and more accurate but it makes the sweetspot smaller. with a lower tension you tend to get out powerful smashes more frequent.

so over all, you really need to know how good are your shots.

Gpower likes this.
  3. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I believe lower tension allows for harder smashes as the string bed essentially vibrates or bounces the shuttle into the desired direction.

With higher tension, the string bed is harder to vibrate actually reducing smash power however, due to the tighter tension, it provides better control, especially at the net as the shuttle doesn't 'bounce' as much from the strings.

It is more of finding the perfect tension in the middle.

4. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    is it possible thicker string will get same repulsion with thinner string?

5. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Nah, with higher tension you have faster and more efficient energy transfer thus making your smashes faster with louder bang :) The only thing to be aware of is the reduced sweet spot. If you don't time properly you will be frustrated by the inconsistency of your smash power:D

I agree with moomoo 100%:p

Gpower likes this.
  6. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Who told you that? All it takes is searching on google to find the answer.

The higher the tension, the more control but less power. The lower the tension, the more power but less control.

I'm not talking about EFFICIENCY of STROKES. Whether a shuttle will land in or not does not matter in this case, lower tension will provide more power. I am not well versed in Physics but that is essentially what it would come down to.

Think of it this way. If you threw a rock against a concrete wall, how far would it bounce? Now put a trampoline against a wall and throw the same rock. How far does it bounce? Definitely farther from the bouncing off the strings.

7. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Your theory about loose strings having more "reactive" bounce can only apply when you consider that the racquet frame, shaft and all of it is completely static and does not flex at all. Now that is not true as manufacturers have been exploring stiff but elastic graphite composites for making stiff but powerful racquets and also using flexible graphite combinations to make beginner level racquets.

In reality in every powerful shot especially smashes with forceful swings, the racquet shaft and to some extend the frame WILL BEND, and this bending generates more power than a loose string bed can ever bounce a shuttle. A tight string bed will transfer this power more efficiently to the shuttle simply because it will not bounce off and lose the energy to string bed vibrations like how a loose string bed will.

If you look at the slow motion captures of hard hitting professional players using high tension smashing, you will notice their racquets beding almost like rubber.

Gpower likes this.
  8. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    i thinking that what mr Jonster said is correct, and what mr Blitzzards said also correct. Maybe both ideology need to combine.

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

The biggest mis-conception in badminton. Jonster this topic has been disccussed countless times here on BC. I hope you will find your answer.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

One question, what happen if you throw the rock much harder and powerfull enough to break the trampoline? How far will the rock bounce?? zero....

Now throw that same rock with same power to a steel wall, How far will the rock bounce??

You see, the phrase "The higher the tension, the more control but less power. The lower the tension, the more power but less control." is half correct.

For those you can hit strong and fast enough exceeding the repultion speed of the string bed, having a higher tension will increase power and the travelling spped of the shuttle. And vise versa. It is unwise though for beginers to have a high tension string, just like what you have explained.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Right. It all depends on your swing speed at strike. The faster it is (eg pros), the faster rebound you want from the tigher stringbed in order to have optimal repulsion, hence the higher tension you want.

12. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I highly doubt that is the biggest mis-conception in badminton unless it was an attempt to insult. If you have the proof, prove it with links. I have my argument, you show yours.
    Im not sure you understood my analogy. You can't compare literally throwing a rock at a trampoline with it breaking and throwing a rock at a steel wall. My analogy was under the condition that they both bounce. You are comparing the durability which doesn't make sense as this is under the assumption that a trampoline is much thinner than a steel wall. To assume this would be to assume you strung one racquet with long blades of grass and another with 0.75mm gauge strings.

I suppose this is off-topic to the forum sub-section though so I will refrain from further posting.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

My appology if my words have insulted you. No hard feeling.....

I agree, this is an off topic issue which I did not started. So fine its with me, you can find many thread that disccussed this topic in more details, and you will see what I mean.

14. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    one question, can 2 shuttles travel with same speed but different force or power?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

for that you'll have to ask in the vt-zf thread :p :)

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Possible, thats why they have speed test at tounaments.....

17. betazone

betazone Regular Member

I am supporting the theory of higher tension -> harder smash. No point arguing you just go string a 22lb vs 26 lb and try it out yourself. I hv done it and case closed for this discussion seriously.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah... but what about if you tried 26 lb vs 30 lb? ;)

19. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

same old arguements again. I thought we have became civilized and decided everyone is different.

ie everyones power/smash bell curve is different. some people require more tension to make a harder smash, some need less tension to create a harder smash.

Gpower likes this.
  20. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

btw more powerful sound does not necessary equal more power. the other day I was playing with someone who makes really loud sound on his clears, but the shots were only reaching about mid court. He was then blaming the shuttles were slow. And there was me comfortably making clears to near the backline with less effort and far less sound.

as for smashes, you really have to have your smashes measured to be certain. This is because we often preceived a louder sound must mean a faster smash. But in reality it might not be the case.

Gpower likes this.