User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by betazone View Post
    Hi, I am giving my 2 cents worth. This is based on what I hv done so far and I noticed a noticeable increase in smash power
    - up the string tension from normal
    - get a stiff racquet
    - do core muscles training
    - do resistance tube training, try to mimic the smashing motion.
    - checkout Fu Hai Feng smashing guide video at youtube. In it you noticed he said use your abs/core muscles to press your body down and smash. (i think he also said alot of players thought they must use alot of arm power, but it is not true)
    - i disagree about locking or not locking your elbow. It is all a matter of personal preference. Jung Jae Sung locks his elbow and he has hell of a smash!

good luck.
    for the string tension, what i understand is that the higher the tension is for more control and not power. Lower tensions is where the power similar to a trampoline effect.

Also, if you lock your elbow, i read the you will be at risk of developing the tennis elbow, in this case baminton elbow

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jn_suzhou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by betazone

Hi, I am giving my 2 cents worth. This is based on what I hv done so far and I noticed a noticeable increase in smash power
    - up the string tension from normal
    - get a stiff racquet
    - do core muscles training
    - do resistance tube training, try to mimic the smashing motion.
    - checkout Fu Hai Feng smashing guide video at youtube. In it you noticed he said use your abs/core muscles to press your body down and smash. (i think he also said alot of players thought they must use alot of arm power, but it is not true)
    - i disagree about locking or not locking your elbow. It is all a matter of personal preference. Jung Jae Sung locks his elbow and he has hell of a smash!

good luck.
    for the string tension, what i understand is that the higher the tension is for more control and not power. Lower tensions is where the power similar to a trampoline effect.

Also, if you lock your elbow, i read the you will be at risk of developing the tennis elbow, in this case baminton elbow
    jn_suzhou, what you've said is correct. As you increase string tension you lose power, but gain control, feel and shuttle response (less string bed dwell time). A lot of people confuse this shuttle response and the crisp sound and feel of highly strung strings with gaining more power – which is a bit of an illusion.

If you lock your elbow, what you’re doing is you are stretching your tendons and ligaments to their limit and colliding the joint with each stroke. Having said that, everyone is built differently and so different people can abuse their bodies more than others. Not locking you elbow fully is the conventional advice I have heard echoed by the best coaches throughout my time in playing the sport – whether or not it is done is up to the individual.

Also, I personally don’t see any deficit in power by not fully locking one’s elbow when playing a smash.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree. Please don't fully lock out your elbow on any power shots like clear or smash.

As an example, you can imagine what would happen to your knee joint if you lock it fully straight when you land after jumping. All the forces would be transmitted to the knee joint cartilage itself instead of being absorbed by muscles and tendons.
    Last edited by visor; 02-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will, try to jump and smash as it will let your whole body feels running towards and when you hit the birdie down it will be very fast, anyone could lift a smash even with a little power(or no power), smash is just to lock up all the chance of returning the ball, remember if you cannot hit the birdie after you jump don't jump, just try to practise more on "How to smash to the front field" and i believe it would be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Agree. Please don't fully lock out your elbow on any power shots like clear or smash.

As an example, you can imagine what would happen to your knee joint if you lock it fully straight when you land after jumping. All the forces would be transmitted to the knee joint cartilage itself instead of being absorbed by muscles and tendons.
    i dont know whether i'm doing it or not? who pro doing this, TBH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practice... practice... and practice more.

Usually start out with 50%-70% power until your stroke is good, then ramp up power.
    Take video of yourself and you will see what you are doing wrong.

Also don't expect overnight results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok now i understand dont lock the elbow..thks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2