Mental Strength - Help me out ! !

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by callihniel, Feb 23, 2012.

1. callihniel

callihniel New Member

I've search the forum before I post but I'm not sure that I'm using the right keyword or not. So I hope that this topic is new and it's my problem right now.

I can play pretty well in game w/o pressure, normal game, friendly game. But sometime our club have a competition and the pressure come to me in every match, when I miss like 2 shot in a row my pressure double up and make me freak out :crying:.

Another problem is when I play with the player that seems his skill is weaker than mine. I didn't play like serious in every shot and make me miss a lot, even lose in sometime :(

In the second situation my friend told me that, "It's a game just do it, kill the opponent" but my nature is too kind to everyone. I feel bad when I overkill those weaker player.

So. . . I have 2 situation can anyone suggest me how to build up the "Mental Strength" ?

PS. thanks for reading and sorry for my bad english.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Here is a list of the topics from the BC search function. There may be good advice for you here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6589508
    The one thing that is key to controlling your emotions is experience. Of course that takes time. But eventually you will find that you don't "freak out" -- you just say to yourself, 'I've been in this situation before, I know what to do'.
    Until you've gained that experience, there are lots of different ways people use to calm themselves: thinking positive thoughts, special breathing exercises, and so on. Many of these techniques have been discussed in the threads that you can find in the link above. :)

It's not a bad thing to be kind. Seems to be a rather widespread "problem" among the Thai people I've known.:)
    However, you'll learn that you can be kind without losing. Some of the kindest people I know thrash me regularly at badminton. :rolleyes:

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    @Fidget: Link you provided doesn't seem to work.
    @OP: For competitive play, just don't think about win/loss during your rallies. Instead focus on current rally/shots. W.r.t. friendly matches, you could use goal-setting, e.g. try not to give your opponent more than N number of points (e.g. winning him no worse than 21-5). This helps you treasure each point.

4. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

this is a mentality think

maybe u need a coach to teach u how to overcome it

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

How right you are. :eek: It is supposed to be the single content search with "mental" in the title. There are quite a few threads that result from that search. Perhaps this link will do it: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6590325
    How come that strategy never seems to work against the opponent on the iPhone '3-D Badminton' app!? :mad::p