Grip location

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Genossa, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Genossa

Genossa Regular Member

My old racket was a iso 75 mflt, now I have arc 8dx. My old racket had a shorter shaft, and handle than my 8dx. With my old racket, the bottom part of my hand reached the bevel of the handles while my index finger slotted in nicely on the taper part just under the cap. However with the longer handle of the 8dx I can no longer do this. Should I still hold it at the bottom, while leaving my index finger on the not tapered handle, or should I move my grip up, so my index finger can grip the taper?

2. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Well... when it comes to racket grips holding lower allows your shots to be more powerful but the swing speed is slower than if you were to hold at the top. Basically what I am trying to say is... its your preference where you want to hold it, you can even hold it somewhere in the midsection if you like. I like to hold at the bottom as a singles player but when I play doubles and I am in the front I normally switch my grip closer to the top/cone grip.

#2 dontmakeme, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    When playing shots like a clear, usually the grip should be in the middle but when playing a smash, it's preferred to be at the bottom to create more power. In doubles, usually players will play with their grip in the middle if not higher because doubles is more faster paced and since you're holding it higher, you can return the shot more easily. Personally, I like to play with my grip always at the middle unless I'm smashing