service in Mix doubles, girl in front blocking guy serving in the back

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Capnx, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I've played this mixed team in our club for a few nights now, and either intentionally or unintentionally when the guy serves in the back the position and the way the girl stands in front blocks my view of the guy's services. I have to either move a foot to the left/right to view his service or I just wait until it comes over. I'm wondering is that legal? Can I tell/ask them to move around because I cant view the shuttle when he's holding it because she's blocking my view?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It depends,
    The opponent is required to allow you a clear view of the shuttle so you can see the serve. As the woman tends to stand in front of the man it can happen that she will block your view occasionally. But if you are able to view the shuttle while remaining in your service box even if you have to move then this won't be illegal.
    Does she remain still? Or does she move just before the serve?

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

no, it's not legal to obstruct view. the girl or man on service side must move.

Andy, it doesn't matter if you COULD see the shuttle from somewhere in your receiving box, it matters IF you can see the shuttle from wherever you want to stand.

9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

#3 amleto, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I don't suppose you could describe more where/how she stands and where you stand to receive when you are in the right service box please.

It is hard to argue that the girl is blocking the view, because it does depend on where the receiver is. If she stands to block the line between the receiver and shuttle, then the server cannot serve through her so the line of serve must be in another direction so maybe the receiver should move into the gap and the servers angle is cut down.
    I know that isn't the best answer, but it works more to your favour.

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

^ this.

It is not fair that if the female obstructs the shuttle, that you have to move somewhere to see the shuttle. That means you would probably have to move to the alleyway, lean forward and sideways to see the shuttle if it were the only place you can view the shuttle. In that case, that's unfair and mixed doubles teams can use that to their advantage.

6. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

well, if i stand at my usual receiving position about half a step behind the service line at the middle, the way the girl and the guy are lined up the girl is directly in front of the guy whose serving and I cannot see his recquet or the shuttle at all. I have to move about a step to the left or right to see his hands and the shuttle, which leaves my position open to down the line serve or not be able to rush the serve effectively.

Because she's blocking the line, i can't see which direction he'll serve or WHEN the shuttle leaves his hands until it gets over her shoulder. so he sometimes serves to the side (around her) or serves over her, but because I can't see when he serves, im always late at intercepting the shuttle when it's high and lose the advantage

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

well, now you know that you can demand that one of them moves until you can see the shuttle :)

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

Ask yr partner bend lower abit n u shd b able to see n serve

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Are you really short?
    I've yet to meet any girl who can successfully obstruct the view of a service AND still allow the guy to serve over the girl effectively... serving around the girl is okay, but that's easy to anticipate since they're limited to that option.

In either case, if you can't see, then they have to move. thats the rule.