Wooden grip, why ?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Koo&Tan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Hello,

I never knew why wooden grips aren't in carbon like the rest of the racket. So I ask you, if anybody know.

Thank you in advance
    Koo&Tan

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Simply because carbon graphite is very brittle. Wood is a lot more flexible/malleable (able to absorb the force of impact from the hand grip) but still strong and you cannot use metal even though it is the toughest as it will be too heavy.

You can find out more from Wikipedia regarding each material.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, wood is better at absorbing the impact from the hit. Victor had a racket with carbon graphite handle but it supposedly felt too harsh on the hand, which can be tiresome after a while.

4. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
    Ok thanks.
    But it is possible to have wood in another part of the racket like the shaft for example ? I know this allow less high end technologies but just in theories.

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Didn't they have those more than 50 years ago (or even longer) before they realised that if you hit a shot too hard with the racquet (look at the amount of power players today can generate), the wooden shaft will just snap clean off, which meant they have to use very thick shafts that weigh a lot and is not practical for the ever increasing speed in badminton games?

Common sense (and a little searching at Wikipedia) seems to answer most of your questions.