User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Where do you learn how to string?

    I've always wondered about where one learns hows to string. Is there a school? lessons or classes? or manuals? Also how hard is it to learn?

  2. #2
    Regular Member TimothyHsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Milpitas
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I learned from my localstringer but I heard there are some classes in europe. There are also manuals for sale online.learning if different per person. Personally, memorizing how to do knots is the hardest part

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,861
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    is there any video on how to string?

  4. #4
    Regular Member TimothyHsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Milpitas
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There probably ia, look it up

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A couple of youtube vids to get started. Best way to learn is just to try it one some spare rackets till you get the hang of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNoob View Post
    I've always wondered about where one learns hows to string. Is there a school? lessons or classes? or manuals? Also how hard is it to learn?
    Yes, I learned and perfected my stringing skill from a monastery in a far away mountain and trained by the masters with different kind of machine types. Every day we students string 100+ racquets of different type with our bare hands and make sure the string tension variant is less than 0.1%. At time of leaving the monastery, a set of BG65 was stitched into our arm to show how far we come from.
    Yes, the student who can not amke it in the group will have their finger chopped off to ensure no more low quality string job. One student was so determin that his fingers was chopped but he finished the course with his toes.
    Last edited by silentheart; 02-28-2012 at 01:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,939
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    i learn from hanging out in badminton shops, and then listen to what people write here, and then some common sense.

    in the modern computer age, you guys have it much easier with many youtube videos on stringing. the only issue is to know how to filter out the good and bad techniques.

    if time allows and if i ever get a fixed clamp machine, i will produce more videos on stringing.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Check this site, ask question among local experts, practice, practice and more practice

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    College Station, Texas USA
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think there are more of us who learned on their own than who were trained by someone. With all the internet resources and especially all the experts on BC so willing to help, it has never been easier to teach yourself how to string a racket. A beginner can quickly learn to perform high quality stringing work. It's speed without loss of quality that takes a long time to develop. So don't worry about needing hands on instruction, just buy a machine and start doing it. Once you have completed your first racket, you will wonder why you were ever so worried about being able to learn the process.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just in case anyone want to know where the mystical island mountain is. It is the place call Yoneyama.

  11. #11
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    Yes, I learned and perfected my stringing skill from a monastery in a far away mountain and trained by the masters with different kind of machine types. Every day we students string 100+ racquets of different type with our bare hands and make sure the string tension variant is less than 0.1%. At time of leaving the monastery, a set of BG65 was stitched into our arm to show how far we come from.
    Yes, the student who can not amke it in the group will have their finger chopped off to ensure no more low quality string job. One student was so determin that his fingers was chopped but he finished the course with his toes.
    you were lucky mate. and imagine that we have to do it standing up, blindfolded and in the dark!

    oops, wrong thread.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    you were lucky mate. and imagine that we have to do it standing up, blindfolded and in the dark!

    oops, wrong thread.
    Those dirty comments are the one gets you in trouble.

Similar Threads

  1. How did you learn how to string
    By 0ozafo0 in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 19
    : 12-24-2010, 01:27 AM
  2. Looking to Learn how to String (NYC)
    By vipjun in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 10
    : 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
  3. where to learn how to string in toronto, canada
    By jamesxie63 in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 14
    : 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
  4. When Will They Learn?
    By vip_m in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
  5. Learn to string?
    By chibe_K in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 7
    : 10-02-2006, 10:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •