Racket Clash, is this bad?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jsevalle, Jul 26, 2003.

1. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    My double and i clashed rackets, got hit at near 11', would a damage like this cause problems?

Attached Files:

2. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    What's tension you strung at?

It really depends cos, sometimes the inside of the frame could have been broken but from the outside you can't tell, and after playing it for a while longer, it will just snap.

If you are lucky and if it's just like what it's shown on the pic and the frame is still balance and all, it should be fine.

3. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    It's strung at 22lbs. It was hit by a full steel racket. The paint was totally chipped off, showing the insides. The worst part is, my racket is very light (81g)

I've been able to play 2 games after the clash, does that mean it will be just fine?

4. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    If it's just a chip then maybe it's fine, but usually when racket clashes at very strong impact = R.I.P racket.

Like I said, can't really tell whether the inside is damage or not.
    It might not snap immediately but maybe after a few days, weeks or months, or it might not even snap at all.

Sorry can't give you a definite answer on this. But if your racket does snap when you swing it for a smash, lift or drive one day, you know should know why.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Sucks that it's so light (less dense), it might not take it after a few restrings. :/

That's just my prediction. No one will be able to give you a concrete answer, you'll just have to let the future decide for itself.

6. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    Guess you should keep the tension low every time you restring it.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If ur partner is a beginner, and ur 2 tend to clash a lot, then, try not use ur best racket when playing with him.

Even though, graphite rackets generally have better performance than full steel ones, but in clash, metal ones always win. :(

8. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

I have to admit, I clash my racket quite often only because I am left-handed whilst majority of players I have played with are right-handed.

jsevalle, don't be so worried about the rackets having chips and paints coming of the racket. It's not going to harm you, just that the racket shows a few bumps and scratches when it clashed. Depending on the clashes it would either break or not. Look at it this way, at least you get to show people that you are using your racket rather than having it displaying in your room like an ornament.

Ok, so it was expensive, still, you have to use it inorder to hit the shuttle cock.

But hearing what you said there, I guess it is the player that you partnered with had bad team work skills and not able to read your way of playing to be honest.

Brighten up. :)

9. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

hi i did the same to my Yonex Ti-3 and that was 1 year ago it didnot affect my racket at all apart from the look of it wiv a big chip in it:cool:

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    racket clash and chips is just a fact of life. get used to it and becareful playing with newbie next time. when i play with beginners, i usually let them hit the middle shots.

11. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, that's usually the case...i let them hit it too...for them, it's usually just the case where they just swing wherever and try to get the shuttle across so you have to really watch out.

Then again, there are non-beginners (semi-intermediate - those who still haven't gained enough experience or skill) that have a habit of going for the middle shots as well....and those are a little harder to judge ...whether you should go for ti..not knowing if he's going to go for it or not..it's a risk

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You know, all you need is an exertion of force at the sides or the middle of the crack and that's it, dude, the thing will either break (graphite) or bend (steel). You may not need to wait until that long - restring the racquet fresh and you may get a call from the stringer, "Sorry Sir, your racquet just broke".

My usual partner and I usually let the person with the forehand shot get the shuttle at the middle. Now this can be a problem as he is lefthanded while I am righthanded! Most of the time he'd be the one to get it; I'd just stop and lower my racquet a bit, and he'd know it's for him - works all the time. Is that a good enough team work or is there a better way?

#12 wilfredlgf, Jul 29, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So true. Racquet clashes can happen anytime. Look at the pros. Watch enough doubles matches and you'll see racquet clashes. The Korean, Lee Dong Soo even gets hit by his partner:
    a) hit on the head by the shuttle in Olympic 2000 Men;s doubles final
    b) hit on the arm in the AE 2000 final
    c) hit again in the sudirman cup final
    :)

Even if semi-intermediate player, racquet clahes can still occur. That's especially if you partner somebody you don't know well.

Not sure if anybody noticed. Perhaps here are some factors that can cause racquet clashes:
    1) left hander right hander combination.
    2) good player parntering mediocre player (mediocre player hits the good players racquet)
    3) strong personality parntered with weaker personality. The stronger personality will try to take shots that really should be the partner's to take.

Not sure about no.3. What do others think?

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    in that all england final the racket splits over his arm, leaving a huge lump, this was in the first few points and he carried on to play the rest of the game.

this was one of the best games i have seen as well.;)

15. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

That can also be true. One player may have more confident than his partner, so he expects to take the tricky shots. Only clashes if his partner goes for the tricky shot which he thought he would normally wouldn't get, which resolves to clashing rackets.

I tend to do that when I play with a good partner, which is why I think the thrid point you made is also another answer to racket clashing.

But who cares if it clash, aslong as you get the shuttle back over the net, then that counts. :)

16. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    This work as well with me. Both my partner and I are right-handed and we've agreed that the middle ball will be taken by the person with the forehand since backhand is never been better than forehand.

In the case of left-handed, I think I agree with wilfredlgf that both need to communicate well, verbally or non-verbally, to their partners to avoid misunderstanding.

My experience: My partner and I are both right-handed but, still, the chance for misunderstanding still exist. So, we have become more aware to control ourselves not to aggressively take the middle ball. Instead, we will both prepare to take the ball (raise the racquet and ready to hit) and then look at who's gonna take it more comfortably. Yes, it's not easy to do this since we are more likely to responsively hit the ball at once without needing to think twice to stop or control our hand soon after we raise the racquet. However, in the case of double games, it will give a great benefit. Indeed, practice makes perfect.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree with the above several posts regarding to "how to eliminate the chances of clash".

However, I think it will be easier to do so (say, settle down on sort of agreement) if ur 2 always playing together. For random partners in clubs, it's very hard to avoid such incident...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I never said it was one of the best games I have seen;)!

I'd rate my backhand defence in doubles far better than my forehand. It seems much easier to flick the shuttle back.

19. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Really??? Don't you have problem with your sight to the court and to your opponent if you're doing backhand defense? In my case I always turn my body slightly facing backward to make sure that I'll produce a good backhand stroke. This results in the absence of sight to the court and to the opponent's position.

Do you do the same thing or do you do backhand differently? Any suggestion how to do a better backhand stroke without losing the sight of the court and the opponent's position?

20. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I don't know if it's a matter of personalities, but when two partners are not used to playing together, I think having one who is aggressive and the other non-aggressive is the very best combination. I don't mind at all having a partner who wants to take all the marginal shots as long as they are effective, even if I'm in a better position. I know just to get out of their way and prepare for the possible return.

Two aggressive partners, and you will have lots of clashes, collisions, and one being out of position. Two non-aggressive partners, and shots between them will drop untouched. The worst combination: two aggressive partners, one LH, one RH, both with strong backhands or RTHs.