Real trouble with backhand mid court

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Caarl, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys I'm having real trouble with my backhand drive... I can't seem to play it at all well to be honest. It either goes too high or too low and never has a lot of power on it. I can backhand clear end to end, have quite a powerful backhand smash but just can't generate any pace on my backhand drive.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou!

2. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

hitting a shuttle against the wall with your backhand is a great way to practice drives and smash defense.

3. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
  4. phili

phili Regular Member

I don't know how you play the backhand drive but there should be much arm movement. You should generate your power by switching from a loose to a very tight grip

5. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    I will hopefully upload a video when I next play. It's odd but probably timing i'll let you guys decide. Thank you for all the comments :D

6. Edward Ng

Edward Ng New Member

Student
    Practise it with some people that you can perform backhand, the more practise the more you get the timing, as timing is precise you must able to hit the birdie without looking at it, practise make perfects.

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Try to take the shuttle earlier/higher. This hopefully would address your angling issue.

And to generate power, you'd need to take the shuttle in front (away and side) of you. with racket face square on, that's, no slice. Forearm/grip should be loose until time of impact. Tight muscle would slow down your racket speed. Don't over swing your racket on follow through. Drive is different from overhead smash/clear in that you might not have as much time to prepare.

All these mean you need to get to the shuttle faster, and prepare your racket earlier (e.g. pull your racket back, and supernate while you move your body and feet, if you're not already doing this).