Feet blisters?!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by TimothyHsu, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    I know many of you guys out there have blisters too! Is there a way to reduce blisters though? I've had blisters on my feet for the past year now and since I have training more than twice a week , they won't go away. Any advice to get rid of the blisters?
    Thanks

2. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    Where do the blisters occur?

If its underneath feet (bottom of big toe or ball of foot) then check your insoles. I used to get large blisters in the same spots where the insoles wore through. New shoes / insoles fixed that for me.

3. TimothyHsu

high schooler
    Yeah that's exactly where I get my blisters at. So if I get new shoes, should I wait til my blisters go away and start playing again? or should I continue to play as usual and it should began to fade away

4. derekso

derekso Regular Member

I used to get those blisters too. You should get new shoes and thicker socks. that will help. Do you still have the blisters? cause if you do you should put cotton pads on them, especially on the one on the ball of your foot. You can keep playing, which i reccomend, or you can stop. Heres why. When you keep playing, you will heal slower, but that patch of skin will get thicker when it heals thus preventing future blisters. If you stop playing, it'll heal faster but the skin wont be as thick. So in the long run, i suggest leaving the blisters there. Notice how i bolded "used" after the get 3-5 blisters in the same area, your skin will grow soooo thick that blister wont happen any more.

5. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    From my experience - YMMV

Wait for the blistered skin to "stabilise" - a few days. Playing 2 times a week should give you enough time.
    Best results is the blister will deflate and stick again to the skin underneath.
    2nd best result (takes longer) is that the blister skin dries out and comes off cleanly - sometimes with a bit of help.
    If there was watery fluid trapped inside - I let it out.
    If the skin was torn then trim of any shreds that could catch and pull the edges of the blister.
    A small pair of scissors or nail clipper come in handy for these operations.

Hope that helps.

6. TimothyHsu

high schooler
    Many thanks guys! I will try to get new shoes and thicker socks

7. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Make sure the shoes are tight fitting. Loose shoes can accelerate the blisters formation.

8. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Wear thicker socks!!!!

It will definitely make a difference, Footballers sometimes wear two pairs of socks to avoid blisters, I did the same and I stopped getting blisters it works the same for badminton as well

9. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

What worked best for me:

1) bring good socks to the gym (the thicker the better for preventing blisters)
    2) wash your feed quickly and get them super dry, then put on the socks you brought with you - do all that right before you start playing

I used to have terrible blisters. Now I don't have any problems at all anymore. It has worked extremely well for me.

10. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    The best thing you can do is to cover the blister in a plaster when playing. This is stop the rubbing in your shoe which is causing it. 1st time I played badminton, with new shoes, my feet blistered unreal. I plastered them and played on. It was fine. The skin will get harder and get used to it.

11. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

I get this, and my feet never seem to toughen up. When playing some games of singles in the past I've even had blood blisters....

What has made a massive difference to my feet is getting better socks than generic white sports socks.

First I got Thorlo tennis/walking socks that had great padded support and helped prevent the majority of blistering. But when the store I bought them from stopped doing it they suggested Experia Coolmax socks 'powered by Thorlo' (http://www.thorlo.com/socks/experia-socks/micro+mini-crew/686.php). Now in the UK they were £12 a pair which is a lot of money for socks, but I now multiple pairs and if I am slack with laundry and don't have a pair for a game/club night then I know I'll probably have sore feet the next day.

12. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Meant to say the tennis socks were quite long and thick all over which could result in quite sweaty feet, the Experia ones are great as they only have thick pads at the areas that need it.

13. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

This is a very good tip. I've actually bought shoes that were a bit too tight before and had them stretched by a shoe repair shop so that they were just right, rather than buying the next size up that was a little too big. With all the modern materials in shoes now they might not be a receptive to a good stretching so it's still best to try and get the best fit to begin with.

14. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    I put sweat absorbent/burn relief powder on my feet before I play badminton.
    This powder helps prevent and cure for many different kinds of athletes foot.

You may concern to buy a new shoes that allows more air to go through.
    I agree buying shoes that fits on your feet is very important.
    Also, check your insole if it is worn out.

I am thinking to buy a little bit thicker insole since my shoes is a little bit big.
    different shoe tie method can help you fit tighter

#14 fmqpt791004, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  15. DenniSinneD

DenniSinneD Regular Member

Student, Store Clerk
    I just put on two pairs of socks. Works for me! :D

16. lefeather

lefeather New Member

Student
    I use a thin sock for my first layer then a thicker/normal one for the second layer. It also helps if you put some talcum powder on your feet before you put on your socks to reduce the moisture and friction.

17. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

use dri fit socks (apparently blisters are caused by moisture...so moisture wicking socks are good. but ive also read that theyre caused by friction which leaves me confused...)
    use blister band aids
    spray your feet with anti perspirant spray

18. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    The moisture in the socks causes your feet to move inside your shoe which creates more friction or rubbing from your feet to the shoe.

Double socks will help or bringing multiple socks and switching after games.

You could buy Baby powder/foot powder and apply some to your shoe, by the ball of your foot. This soaks up moisture and stops your feet from moving inside. It stops the friction and stops the blisters.

19. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

can someone explain this to me?

u guys say wear thicker socks...less friction but more sweat since itll be hotter inside the shoe
    but if u wear drifit socks, its thinner, so more friction thus more blisters?
    so which one is better

20. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Thicker socks.