User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 30lbs = 24lbs depending on stringing style?

So I was having a chat with my coach and he was telling me how he strings differently than other people and how his 24lbs isn't the same as other's 24lbs.

He told me that when he strings, he strings one string at a time and pulls each one separately, so that when he strings 24lbs, every string is 24lbs. This came up after two fairly equally skilled players were playing and one was having a hard time dealing with the weight behind the other player's shots. According to my coach, the person who couldn't deal with the weight had the problem because he strung his racket too tight for himself (27lbs each string). When asked about it, he replied "yes, I know but I like the sound it makes when I hit" (retired competitive player that just plays for lols now).

So he went on to say that around 24lbs each string is the ideal tension and that, even if you could hit hard enough with a higher tension, you could do the same with 24lbs with less effort. When asked about getting more power from strings, he said thinner strings will give you more power/feel, not necessarily higher tension.

I asked him why international players string ~30lbs and he said that normally when people string, they pull three strings at a time because it's faster and more efficient. So he said when you pull 3 strings at a time, the tension isn't 30lbs each string but rather each string has its own different tension (something to that effect) and that when all the strings have time to settle, they settle around 24lbs - 26lbs (depending on how tight they were strung initially).

Can any of you confirm/deny this? It's quite interesting as this is new information for me. Normally when I break a string I just give it to him and he strings my racket with whatever string/tension he sees fit. However recently he has been very busy and I have 4 rackets that need stringing so I asked him what tension he usually uses with my racket and he told me he strings it at 24lbs but that if I ask for 24lbs from someone else, it wouldnt feel the same as his 24lbs.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
    So he went on to say that around 24lbs each string is the ideal tension and that, even if you could hit hard enough with a higher tension, you could do the same with 24lbs with less effort.
    Maybe for him 24lbs is the ideal tension, but that doesn't mean that for every player 24lbs is the perfect tension. Depends on skill level and personal preference...

I asked him why international players string ~30lbs and he said that normally when people string, they pull three strings at a time because it's faster and more efficient. So he said when you pull 3 strings at a time, the tension isn't 30lbs each string but rather each string has its own different tension (something to that effect) and that when all the strings have time to settle, they settle around 24lbs - 26lbs (depending on how tight they were strung initially).
    I'm not a professional stringer (I just string for myself and a few club members), but I really doubt that professional stringers or even good "hobby stringers" double pull strings, let alone pulling three strings at once. The tensioning process with electronic machines doesn't take too long, either, so the time saving would be minimal, in my opinion. Maybe with a drop-weight or a crank stringing machine you could save some time.
    And a strong indication that they do not do this, is the sound of the strings when the pro's hit the shuttle. Doesn't sound like a "30lbs" stringjob that in reality is only 24-26lbs to me.
    There's no doubt that the final tension is not 30lbs when you pull three strings at once...

Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense, but if that is the same coach that suggests to use a tennis string for training, I am not surprised that his 24 lbs. string jobs feel different than anybody else'.

No, I have never heard or seen that any stringer pulls more than one string at a time without at least knowing that the result will be terrible.

From what I have read, you seem to take your badminton game very seriously. So I would highly suggest that you increase your interest and the knowledge in your equipment step by step. If you are playing badminton for 27 hours per week but on the other hand don't even know which string type and tension you are preferring, there is definitely a disbalance. It's good to rely on the knowledge of your coach, but you need to know your most important tools for yourself:
    #1 Your body
    #2 Your racket and strings
    #3 Your shoes

At least that's my personal opinion based on my experience, so feel free to disagree.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a tennis string, I might be mistaken though. I don't usually take much interest in my equipment, whenever I break my strings I just give them to him and he strings it for me and I use whatever he gives me.

Generally if I have to get it strung elsewhere I go with BG65 at 24lbs.

The only piece of equipment I am thoroughly familiar with is the racket itself. In general I try to spend less on the equipment itself because training is expensive here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob3rt View Post
    Maybe for him 24lbs is the ideal tension, but that doesn't mean that for every player 24lbs is the perfect tension. Depends on skill level and personal preference...

I'm not a professional stringer (I just string for myself and a few club members), but I really doubt that professional stringers or even good "hobby stringers" double pull strings, let alone pulling three strings at once. The tensioning process with electronic machines doesn't take too long, either, so the time saving would be minimal, in my opinion. Maybe with a drop-weight or a crank stringing machine you could save some time.
    And a strong indication that they do not do this, is the sound of the strings when the pro's hit the shuttle. Doesn't sound like a "30lbs" stringjob that in reality is only 24-26lbs to me.
    There's no doubt that the final tension is not 30lbs when you pull three strings at once...

Just my two cents.
    Yeah I thought about this too. I have played with a racket that was string at 30lbs and it sounds very different to my 24lbs

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a tennis string, I might be mistaken though. I don't usually take much interest in my equipment, whenever I break my strings I just give them to him and he strings it for me and I use whatever he gives me.

Generally if I have to get it strung elsewhere I go with BG65 at 24lbs.

The only piece of equipment I am thoroughly familiar with is the racket itself. In general I try to spend less on the equipment itself because training is expensive here.
    Actually, spending at least some attention and interest in your other equipment doesn't cost much money. For me, the influence of the string type and especially the tension is much higher than switching from one (good) racket to another (good) one. And let me add - there is a world out there beyond 24 lbs. BG65 which might be worth exploring and which could have a significant influence on your game. And with four BS10 at hand with whom you can even compare different strings or tensions directly, you have all that is needed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm aware of that. I usually use BG65 @ 23/24lbs but I don't usually experiment. I don't know how to tell if my tension is too high/low and if I should experiment and how I should experiment

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm aware of that. I usually use BG65 @ 23/24lbs but I don't usually experiment. I don't know how to tell if my tension is too high/low and if I should experiment and how I should experiment
    You can start with this way to monitor your tension preference.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...string-tension

You'll probably also want to visit the string forum checking out different strings depending on your play style, ie whether attacking, counter attacking, controlling etc. And also depending on whether you play feather or plastic.
    Last edited by visor; 06-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only need your feel. This is enough. If you notice that you can't clear effortless and under pressure, your string might be too tight. If you can't control the shuttle enough, the string is too soft. If you notice that the performance of your string dropped, change it. I can say that I'm just happy with BG65 for a week. Even with PS.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    You only need your feel. This is enough. If you notice that you can't clear effortless and under pressure, your string might be too tight. If you can't control the shuttle enough, the string is too soft. If you notice that the performance of your string dropped, change it. I can say that I'm just happy with BG65 for a week. Even with PS.
    This is tough though because I've been playing with .75mm strings for the last few years so literally everything feels good. Even manufacturer strings give me more response. Clears never really are effortless - you need to put in a set amount of effort every time to make the strings bend enough or else your shots will be weak

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If manufacturer strings gives you more response your choice of string/tension and maybe stringer is bad. With "effortless" I mean that they don't make you tired. Especially for singles the "Clear" is a very common stroke, which you use often, so I took it as reference for a tension choice.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was watching badmintontv doing a profile on an England player - the guy was stringing his racquet and double pulling the strings.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I was watching badmintontv doing a profile on an England player - the guy was stringing his racquet and double pulling the strings.
    With the amount of time they spend on training, can it be said that most pro players don't have the time to learn or care anything about their equipment?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    https://youtu.be/iXtJJ348I_8?t=265

^^Wan't this was it?^^

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by racketman123 View Post
    https://youtu.be/iXtJJ348I_8?t=265

^^Wan't this was it?^^
    Yup. That's the one. Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's trying to shut you up. You've asked for a tension he doesn't want to do and is trying to convince you to stay with him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that when a stringer/coach makes a broad brush accusation that if you get your rackets strung at 24lbs from someone else that it would not feel like his, then either he's doing it differently or he's suggesting that the rest have no idea what they're doing.....

At the end of the day, "most" good stringers will only do one string at a time and if they are all using electronic tension heads that are calibrated correctly, then you're pretty much going to get the same result. Seems your stringer/coach is trying to stop you from considering other options.

On a separate note, from a comment earlier on re: tennis strings for training......... I string tennis rackets too..... anyone considered how you would try to thread a tennis string through a badminton grommet hole and imagine trying to do the joint holes....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast