Ok here's an Odd one!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by uselessmail, Feb 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

I'm sorry for the weird title but I just couldn't describe this in one line.
    So, imagine a situation when I have deftly played at the net and the opponent was smart enough to to come on to the net and disguise his shot thereby hitting long instead of the short dab that I expected. Now wrong footed, the bird sails over my head and is neatly about fall on the base line exactly. I run behind but its futile to attempt the shot and I simply swish my racket in resignation. :mad:
    I do not touch the bird with my racket or any part of my body but the gust generated from the swish carried the bird just a little further (cms further) and out of the playing field. Now do I win the point in this scenario? What if the Umpire judges that I did that deliberately, do I still win the point? :confused:
    On a side note, what if I were to actually blow hard (now that's getting extremely imaginative :eek:) and the bird lands out! How will the point then be decided??

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There must be something in there about "interfering with the shuttle".

Believe it or not, we have tried blowing shuttles out at our club, but the skirt movement doesn't carry the base far enough - like punching one of those inflatable bags with sand in the bottom:).

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

haha thats pretty funny. Yeah like the above post im sure theres a rule on shuttle interference, otherwise players who slow down and watch the bird fall to the base line would be blowing and waving their rackets to push the shuttle out LOL

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

try it, i think you can't move the shuttle 1mm by blowing, not to talk about swooshing with the racket.

theoretical question...

5. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Well the situation isn't all that hypothetical actually! Consider the point about blowing, for example. Now I know that its pretty much impossible to blow away a shuttle that's flying into your court at a certain speed. How about a situation where the opponent has executed a perfect net drop wherein the shuttle just kisses the top of the net and after an agonizing wait of about a second, is about to fall in my end of the court. Now the shuttle is still in play since its not gonna fall on his end but on my end. Now all this is happening at the absolute side border line. So, if and when the shuttle does fall down, it'll fall on the line and my wretched opponent wins the point.
    In this situation, it is very easy for me to blow the shuttle, when its resting on top, so that it falls outside the line!

Now on to the second point about swishing! This situation actually happened in my club tournament. It was a beginners level doubles match and we were in the audience. The situation that I mentioned above happened inasmuch as the guy standing behind had an easy smash chance waiting at the baseline but made a mess out of it and missed the birdie completely. The shuttle landed behind him and mere cms outside the playing area. Now he was convinced that he hadn't touched the bird but the opponents were not so sure. The umpire was befuddled as well and in the end they had to replay that point. Surely in an international match with so much scrutiny, and a more competent umpire, they will see be able to make out the real incident.

So, if there's no touch, what then???

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

if there's no touch, the shuttle is called out. swishing does not change the flight of the shuttle by 0,001 cm. the change is not measurable! try and do some swishes with your racket, the generated "wind" is barely recognizable!!

your first situation: if your that close to the net to blow a shuttle that's dancing on the net, why not just take your racket and kill it? that'll be a much easier task than to blow the shuttle somewhere...

again: purely theoretival question, that will never happen in any serious game...

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I suspect that blowing the shuttle would come under the heading of 16.6.4, "misconduct not otherwise covered by the Laws of Badminton". So for a first offence, the umpire could give a warning but the point would still stand; it would be a fault if it happened again after a warning. This is at the umpire's discretion; they might decide that it's actually OK to blow the shuttle if you want to try such a silly thing. It's hard to imagine it happening in a real match.

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

superb imagination i guess

if there is a video to show that it works by blowing... i really want see it...

9. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

It's not in the rules because no sane person would try it in a real match with refs :p.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I saw a match the other day - at the 2010 AE, I think - where Gade swiped at a net-balancing shuttle, missed it, and the shuttle fell back on his opponent's side. No fault was called...

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

to be fair, net swipes (that miss) will have little-to-negative impact on shuttles momentum. By that I mean the air movement will suck the shuttle toward the swiper, if anything at all.

And if its the match I'm thinking of, to me it looked like gade brushed the feathers as soon as they were there to be hit. Awesome shot imo!