Court Ventilation

Discussion in 'Places to play / Clubs / Local Events' started by joany, Jul 27, 2003.

1. joany

joany New Member

Businesswoman
    I am building a 5 court facility here in Cebu starting on the 2nd of September and would like input on the ventilation that should or should not be included. People have been telling me to make sure it has "negative" air but i am concerned about it being TOO hot!
    Also, anyone like to give me input on the rule for membership if I accept members? Some of the benefits I have thought of are:
    reservations accepted, use of showers and lockers, discounted court time, discount of food and beverage and sports equipment. Any input?

2. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    Hm, yea, most of the court ventilation of i've seen has been a simple fan blowing air outside. Air conditioning is a no-no, as any air movement on the courts interferes with the game. I don't suppose anyone knos a good way to cool badminton courts without using air conditioning or any similar methods?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how high is the ceiling?

there was a suggestion long time ago about having a A/C room. if your court area and other areas (like dining, sitting) are separable, consider having a air barrier and only have A/C for the non-court area. it will also lower your A/C cost.

you may allow some A/C to sip through to the court area, enough to not make too much of a temperature gradient, but not enough to generate too much air flow.

4. Frank

Frank Regular Member

Student
    I think it's possible to have a/c in the court without having obvious interference. The club I play in just recently put an a/c in, and everyone is ok with it(including the pros). And it has boost our bussness substantially this summer. the ceiling is about 30 feets. there is also a fan to suck the air out when the a/c is not running.

but I guess the most important part is that if the facility is there to profit, then it's more important to know what players in your area think of it...both the hardcore and None-hardcore players.

finally, even if you don't put an a/c in now, I think it's still a good idea to leave the possibility of the option there, so maybe when you want to put one in there later, you can easily do so.

5. joany

joany New Member

Businesswoman
    The ceiling is 30 feet high. I can't afford the cost of A/C with the a court fee of only P150 ($3) per hour. More than that, I'll lose the market. I was thinking of either the fans that suck air out from the ceiling OR the cement louvers. The cement louvers though will still allow a draft in although towards the ceiling already.

6. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

some clubs have membership give you free court time, (of course the membership will cost more than others) and have no discount on food and beverages or equipment. My opinion is that free court time is more appealing than discounted court time, even if the price is jacked up

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

oranjmaan...i was DEAD that day without AC...

but for my opinion on this...i guess ac does affect how the bird travels and depending on the specs of your building...you should decide whether you want negative air..whether it affects the players game

8. claive

claive New Member

:) joan asa dapit imo court? i'm new to playing badminton with only a couple of months of playtime. so im lookng for a new court to play coz the courts at YMCA are painted YELLOW instead of green. 150 per hour and 100 for membership fee will be nice. And do you know any group were i can train for free?