lack of Stamina

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by usmaninoor, Feb 29, 2012.

1. usmaninoor

usmaninoor New Member

I am 39 years old, playing Intermediate level of badminton, I have some seriouse concern about my stamina, I am running 10 kms with a pace of 10 kms/hr twice in a week and aslo cycling 10 kms in 20 minutes, but when it comes to badminton I am struggling to play continuous 3 games (Singles) and due to the bad stamina most of the time I lose.

I am also sweating a lot, playing 2 to 3 hrs 4 days in a week every hour I need to change my shirt, this excessive sweating also cause lot of fatique and lose of salt from the body.

Please advise me how to improve my stamina and what should I do to cover the salt lose due to exsessive sweating, I am drinking only water between and after the game.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

to replace salt lost in sweat, you need a balanced electrolyte drink like Gatorade which has potassium, sodium, and fructose sugars

your running and cycling training is good for aerobic stamina, but badminton is both aerobic and anaerobic

meaning you have to start using interval training to improve your anaerobic muscle metabolism

3. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    The keyword here is as Visor says INTERVALS. You need to get them into your training along with your normal endurance exercises.

4. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

did u see a doc or go for medical check up for your condition?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

naw, he's healthy... I don't think I can even run 10km at all, never mind in 1 hr. :p. he just needs more high intensity training to train his anaerobic metabolism. badminton is in short bursts over an hour, so you need both endurance and intensity.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1) eat a banana 30 minutes before the exercise. drink electrolyte in between games.

2) wear a 100% polyester shirt/jersey. do not wear any cotton.

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    are your 10k run times decreasing?

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Have you thought about tactics to increase your lasting ability(stamina). For example i have a bad tendancy to go on the major offensive and have a bad tendancy to hold my breath in between smashes, now i could be the fittest guy and it won't help. If you can manage to control some, hopefully most of the rallies you will not have as many problems. I have seen the best players in the world struggle to play 3 games in a really tight match and they train full time.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    do u now breath in between smashes? how did u change that habit?

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lol sometimes still guilty of it especially in doubles inbetween two or three quick smashes, I am really trying to work on it. correcting it for me was full exhale(or grunt) during smash and inhale when setting the smash. Lol sounds obvious, don't know why i held/hold it.

11. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

My personal experience.
    1) I used to get tired very fast due to bad or inefficient footwork. Once this is corrected you actually spend less effort in movement.
    2) Need to push yourself past the fatigue point. If you want to last 3 games, then you should train to last for 5. Then your 3 games will be comfortable for you.
    3) Try to reduce your jogging to 5km and include explosive sprints and movement every 200m. Then slowly build up to 10km.

12. usmaninoor

usmaninoor New Member

Many thanks Visor I think you are right anaerobic is totally missing, I will start it from today. Can you guide me what should be the frequency of anaerobic since I am going 4 to 5 days to my badminton club, the club also has the gym, shall I do it after my badminton games or after.

Gatorade is not available in UAE but I will go with some other electrolyte drink

13. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

some sort of circuit training - i do 30secs on 60 secs rest - shadows/press ups/ body weight squats/lunges/step ups/ sit ups... do 2-3 sets of them - make sure you do get enough rest though as your system will get depleted.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    do you have Pocari in UAE?

15. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

1) wear polyester shirts instead of cotton
    2) mix your own isotonic drink (google it): basically it's water, fruit juice/sugar, salt
    3) Step up your running routine: at least 3x a week with one run at least 12km (try to increase to 15km), one run @10km low pace and try to do intervals (10x400 or 5x1000 and increase the number of intervals over time)

4) and most importantly: work on footwork and beeing more relaxed on court

16. gensee

gensee Regular Member

Programmer
    I also having a same problem but I wondering whether this is something to do with my sleeping hours. When I have enough sleep, I can last longer (3-4 double matches) but if I just around slept 2-3 hours + long working hours, i feel myself easily get tired even just 1 match.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's some "fast feet" exercises that'll help develop faster and more explosive footwork, which also happens to also train anaerobic metabolism.

[video=youtube;dnnUGFtoP5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnUGFtoP5Q[/video]

18. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

[video=youtube;up5M-mirAcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI[/video]

This is another good video to watch.
    It's what I do to train for stamina.
    And as visor said (he seems to be always correct) interval training is what you need.
    I would even try high intensity interval training.
    The difference is:
    Low intensity is going from 50-60% cardio level (measured as your heart rate) to almost resting rate 10-25%.
    High intensity is going from 80-90% to 30-50%.

Having good rhythm of the game is important (as mentioned peter) and rhythm in footwork will do miracles for your stamina. It also helps if you can predict your opponents shots, this comes from experience though. Watching videos of "typical" response shots would help make up for lack of experience.

Bleh, that's all I can offer for now...

#18 b.leung, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012