Arrogant Joko Suprianto

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by wl2172, Jul 28, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Badminton/World Championships: Joko Writes Off Malaysia
    Graig Nunis

Send to a friend | Printable Page

FORMER world champion Joko Suprianto has written off Malaysia’s hopes for the World Championships.

The 1983 gold medallist said Hafiz Hashim has a chance of doing well in Birmingham but even then, he stopped short of saying the current All-England Open champion will win the title.

“I do not think the Malaysian players have a good draw for the event,” said Joko, who is now the Indonesian coach.

“Of all their players, only Hafiz has a good chance of advancing to the quarter-finals.

“Even then, it will be difficult for him as he is likely to face his own brother (Roslin) in the second round.

“It will be a difficult time for the two.”

The other Malaysians in the men’s singles are Wong Choong Hann and Lee Tsuen Seng.

Lee Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook and Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng are in the doubles while Wong Mew Choo and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty are involved in the women’s singles and doubles.

As for his own team, Joko played it close to his chest.

“We won two titles in 2001 and we will be happy if we can match that here,” he said.

“I can’t tell you whom we have targeted to win but suffice to say, we know where we stand.”

For the record, Hendrawan and Tony Gunawan-Halim Haryanto won the men’s singles and doubles titles respectively in 2001.

Unfortunately for Indonesia, they will not be around to defend their titles.

As such, Asian Games champion Taufik Hidayat is expected to lead their singles challenge while 1997 winners Candra Wijaya-Sigit Budiarto will be their best bets for the doubles title.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Nothing wrong with Joko's statement

All he did was to point out that the draw wasn't a good one for Malaysia.

As you have already read, BAM is planning to lodge a protest against the draw but given that both Hafiz and Roslin are unseeded, they unfortunately were drawn to meet each other in the second round.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

In a 7* tournament, no one can really claim to have a good draw especially mens events. Joko must be really confident of his own players to make such a statement, lets hope not overly confident.

He seem to belittle all the other national players apart from Hafiz. Just a feeling I get from reading the article.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to give Malaysia credit, i think Malaysia has at least Wong has the banker. whom i think has the ability to beat all the best players in the world.

yeah, Hafiz won the AE, but so did Gopi, he needs to show some consistency first.

i guess we will know by Sunday.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    May the force be with Wong

Nothing wrong with Joko's prediction. As a Malaysian, I certainly hope Joko is wrong but realistically, he is most probably right. Our best bet to advance far is Wong Choon Hann as he does have a good draw and he's more mature/stable among the Malaysians. Hafiz is a little erratic and hard to imagine this type of player can go far as every match is facing elinimation. As for Roslin, based on his latest performance during Transnational Invitation, he may not get pass Thai's Bonsak. I think Lee Tsuen Seng stands as good as a chance as Wong if he can overcome Jonassen. Lee playing style(low serve and fast attacking) is favourable over Janossen and I think Lee has very good chance to create upset.
    For men's double, if Sigit/Wijaya don't get their act straight like in Sudirman, Choong/Lee can beat this pair as 90% of Choong/Lee is still better than 70% of Sigit/Wijaya.
    We will have a clearer picture tomorow and "tomorrow will be better"?
    Malaysia Boleh

6. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Well, does Joko ever expect his team to return with only one medal from 5 events through C/S?
    It's everybody's game in such 7* meet!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Joko i think was depending on Taufik and with Sony as the black horse. however, so wrong that he was to write off Wong completely.

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Joko wrong on all fronts....better keep his mouth shut and let actions do the talking next time.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't write off Ina in the Thomas cup just yet...:)

10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

INA always find the extra energy for thomas cup. Furthermore, next one going to be held in INA.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    let's digress a little bit and talk about TC2004. imho, there are now 5 nations who have winning chances in TC2004. China, Denmark, Indonesia, Korea & Malaysia:

likely line up will be:

China:

Xia, Lin, Bao, Cao/Fu, Sang/Zheng.

Denmark:

Gade, Jonassen, Boesen, Jens/Hansen, Jonas/Lars

Indonesia:

Taufik, Sony, ???, Candra/Halim, Sigit/???

Korea:

LeeHI, ParkTS, ShonSM, Kim/Ha, Lee/Yoo

Malaysia:

WongCH, LeeTS, Hafiz, Chan/Chew, Chong/Lee

we will expect in the next year, the younger players like Lin, Bao, Sony, Hafiz and the Chinese MD will mature and gain much more experience. while the older players like Gade, C&S&H, Kim/Ha, Lee/Yoo may not be as fit as they used to be.

so actually, Indonesia is starting to show some weakness, while China/Denmark are getting stronger (mainly due to MD). Korea/Malaysia are about the same strength as before.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    why do you say candra will not play with sigit but with haryanto, do you know something i dont?

also why no chen hong?

i agree idonesia have now weaknesses, hence stories of flandy and eng coming back, but would they have to wait to play for indonesia again? there singles is much weaker, no hendrawan, mainaky, santoso, and no one knocking on the door.

I believe china will be contender, but denmark and korea favourites, if cai and fu can take a doubles then only 2/3 china singles need to win-chen, Xia,i believe denmark weakness is singles, with rasmussen ageing gade only a shadow and only johanessen consistent. Korea have to rely on doubles,subject to injury, and hope one of singles win. then there is always malaysia. no weakness no strength.

13. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Malaysia's weakness is doubles. Singles not consistent except for Choong Hann. Not much hope, only good for enough for semis.

Kwun's assessment is fairly accurate, and has left room for changes. On paper, China is overwhelming, especially with the rise of doubles. But anything can happen for Thomas Cup, and next year is also Olympics Year.