Questions about owning several rackets of a favorite model?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sautom88, Mar 1, 2012.

1. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

For those who own many rackets of a kind, don't you feel that out of that bunch there is one favorite one? The one that you are most comfortable with?

If the answer is yes, then there is not much point of buying many rackets for spares because they'll never play the same. I have been playing badminton for over 30yrs n used to have 2 of my favorite type n always end up hardly use the spare one. Now I will just have a collection of rackets that I like n switch around. Usually I just bring 3-4 rackets n between those there is always one of the favorite ones for back up in case my game is lousy that day.

Right now I own about 8 rackets, only 1 model Astec PRO850 w/ a spare n it doesn't play the same even the balance point n weight is almost the same.

So what do you guys think?

#1 sautom88, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

are you sure you weighed them precisely with an accurate digital scale?

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

My scale is up to 100g n 0.01 increments. I only weigh them in dry weights. Besides, there is almost always some lead tape embedded inside the overgrips. Only some old Yonexes doesn't have any, ie Cab20 Power.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have four racquet in current use and they play nearly the same.

I have tried other versions of the same racquet manufactured at a different time and they play different. So that's why I targeted the earlier produced ones as my preference.

Intramodel variation is a difficulty - I agree.

My guess is most consistent would be to buy 3-4 racquets of the same model at the same time from the same manufacturing batch.

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I do really agree with you on this. Different batch of the same racket type & weight, will not play the same.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

No wonder mine played differently. I have to buy them at the same time from the same shop, possibly.

Actually I liked my Wagi AST Premier racket because they are so plain (not much technology, only good grommet n T30 frame yet powerful n very2 stable for a 3U racket but the shop only stock 1 pc.

Thanks for the tips guys:)

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    You need to buy rackets which are produced under the same batch. Buying two rackets from a shop at the same time might not solve the problem, since it may not come from the same production batch.

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

for me if the racket is the same model n same grip n same weight... i play the same with it..

not much difference to me... or i.. too novice to notice i guess..

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

If you buy Yonex rackets, then you can just buy rackets that are similar to the serial/cone code that your favourite racket has.:)

Personally when I buy multiple of the same racket, I will only use one of the rackets (out of say 4) I'll use it until it breaks, use it all the time and only use the back up when the string breaks, as soon as it is fixed on racket #1 then I'm back with it:) I don't touch 3, 4 etc, until 1&2 have problems:)

10. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    On occasions I have noticed a favourite but assumed differences in grip or stringing made a bigger difference than racket manufacturing and try to keep those two replaceable items fairly new.

I use 3 rackets of the same model - bought at different times, and play them all - trying to maintain consistent wear and strings. Dont want to rely on one favourite which could break at a critical moment and then have to switch to a 'lesser' racket. Wont allow that subconscious excuse to creep in.

<cynic_mode=on>Can production vary that much from batch to batch? we must be being conned?! - Why bother with all the different models when production variances could produce the same effect?<cynic_mode=off>.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In my honest opinion, playing badminton are not solely for getting sweat & make your body healthy , it is also for fun and leisure. Therefore, as long as you have the cash & did not put your family in any harms way, do whatever you want as long as it is positive & fun ; be it, owning several rackets of the same type, or own many kinds of rackets from several brands.;)

In the end, we just want to enjoy badminton to the MAXIMUM ....

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree, except my racquets predate the serial code era. Should not be a problem nowadays with newer models.