2005 Sudirman Cup - Beijing / WC - Los Angeles...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jul 28, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that was decided today.

the next Sudirman Cup will be held in Beijing, the next World Championship will be held in Los Angeles !!

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I am excited

Can't wait for the World Championship 2005 in LA, I assume it's going to be at OCBC? I better start planning for this big event ...

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    And they better telecasts WC in the US this time. :mad:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, not sure about this.

Even though, I really hope they have some coverage, but maybe only show a little bit clip at the end of local news... :(

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i share the same pessimism as LB. but you never, know, two years is a long time.

i do look forward to the WC in LA though. i think IBF did the right thing by splitting up the SC/WC. historically, they used to be held in consecutive weeks in the same venue. by splitting them up, we can spread the global coverage of badminton into more countries.

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't dream

I am sure there won't be any broadcast unless our local player can advance far ...

7. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    The 2005 World Championships will be held at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, CA, the home of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks of the NHL. (if I am not mistaken)

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A good potential for another BFers gathering...

But can't plan it yet for another 2 yrs... heheheheheh....

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i'm glad to hear that the WC will be in LA in 2005...i like the idea of it being held here...and like a few of you have already said, i too wish it will be broadcasted on tv...one reason, to help promote the game of badminton to the rest of north america.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's really good to see it held in LA. There's quite a sizable badminton playing population there. Maybe they can persuade non-badminton friends to drop by and have a look just to do something 'different' and increase the exposure.

LA is 10 hours ahead of Asia - have to get up in the early hours of the morning to watch the matches:(

After that, the WC will be held annually. Is this such a good idea?

As for SC, it seems a little unfair for the tournament to be held in China so quickly after China hosted the TC. But then again, the TC/UC went to Hong Kong twice in a row previously.

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    LA is 15 hours earlier than Hong Kong :)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, LA is 15-16 hours behind HK. so if the match is showing in LA at 8pm, it'd be noon in HK.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Re: 2005 Sudirman Cup - Beijing / WC - Los Angeles...

yes indeed! we can have a big N. America BF gathering. surely many folks from Canada will fly down to LA for such a big event..... (hint hint)

14. superv97

superv97 Regular Member

Business Manager
    I am going to try my best to get there for sure, and I would like to meet some of you there. Hopefully we can get alot of people from Canada to come.

15. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

it would be nice, if i have the time, i'd go...all matters about the cash for me

16. Californian

Californian Regular Member

The Pond is practically just around the corner from OCBC, so the players will probably practice there during the week before--and some of the early matches may be held at OCBC.

OCBC cannot accomodate a large number of spectators. The Pond is a sports arena, so that's perfect. I wonder how many courts they will set up.

As for US media coverage, don't hold your breath, even for the cable sports networks. Here is where the USAB and SCBA offices, as well as those of us interested, should lobby for coverage.

17. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Congratulation to US Badminton

Congratulation to US Badminton. Often we forgot to appreciate the effort of individual behind the campaign to get such an event like that, especially for minnow country like US (in Badminton).
    May be about time that you guys should mention those individual like Don Chew whom in the past have been criticised bitterly up to a point as low as presonally to his family.
    Also congratulate to US doubles pairs at their 46 still able to advance to second round.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is a indeed a great victory for the USAB and for the US badminton fans. i hope many will make it to LA for the WC in 2005.

i think it was very appropriate for the IBF to award the WC to US. they have mentioned in various occasions that they want to make badminton more popular in the US. it will take a monumental effort before they can succeed, but the WC 2005 will be a great step forward.

i really do hope that they are able to show some footage of the matches in some national TV network, even just the finals or highlights will be fine. it is time for the general americans to find out what real badminton is about.

you bet i will be there. i am already planning to take a few days off to catch some earlier actions.

19. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

I don't think it's a good idea that the WC will be held annually and don't like the new format for WC.

I think the IBF should open WC for its all members if they want to play in WC, and the IBF can limit entries by this: in every event, an association can enter --

no more than 5 players or pairs if it selects its players or pairs from 1 to 8 in the IBF's World Ranking;

no more than 4 players or pairs players if it selects its players or pairs from 1 to 16 in the IBF's World Ranking;

no more than 3 players or pairs if it selects its players or pairs from 1 to 32 in the IBF's World Ranking;

no more than 2 players or pairs if it selects its players or pairs from 1 to 64 in the IBF's World Ranking;

no more than 1 players or pairs if it selects its players or pairs after 64 in the IBF's World Ranking.

Every association can enter no more than 10 men and 10 women players in WC in total.

WC should be holding every 2 years as well as "World Cup" be holding in years when no WC is holding.

And "World Cup" size should be limited no more than 162 (like Olympics) in total and no more than 28 players or pairs in every event.

If an association selects its players or pairs from top 64 in the IBF's World Ranking, it can enter no more than 2 players or pairs in every event, otherwise, no more than 1 players or pairs.

Every association can enter no more than 6 men and 6 women players in WC in total.

In Olympics Year, Olympics Badminton Competition should regarded as "World Cup" this year.

In the end of every year, the IBF should hold World Grand Prix Finals - ONLY top 16 in the IBF's World Ranking can take part in it without any limitation of association.

According to the IBF's Regulation, an association can not hold T&U C unless it give the IBF about $1M in advance. So, if any association of EBU want to hold T&U C, give money to the IBF first.

As for Hong Kong twice in a row (1996, 1998), for the IBF can not find an association to hold T$U C in 1998, then H.K.do it twice in a row .

#19 Xu Zhen, Jul 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2003