Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by yan.v, Mar 4, 2012.

1. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Last week during a game, I started feeling a small pain in my lower back, so I decided to stop playing and go home. That was on Wednesday night.

When I got home, the pain was really intense every time I moved significantly (get up from a chair/my bed, sit down, lie down, bend down, etc.). The day after, the pain was even bigger and it has been gradually decreasing since then. I have been staying at home, mostly sitting and lying in my bed, since then and the pain is still there, but much less intense.

The whole thing happened to me one other time a couple months ago and it was the exact same pain and it went away gradually the same way it is now.

I suspect the pain to be caused by a bad movement.

Has it happened to anyone ? I'm pretty sure the pain will go away in the next couple days, but I'd like to know what could be the causes of that pain and if there is anything I could do to avoid it. Since the pain seems to go away in a couple days, should I go see a doctor anyway ?

Thank you for your help.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably caused by bad movement. Usually resolves in a day or two. If not or if it happens more frequently, then you need to find a good chiropractor to readjust your alignment, usually the facet joints.

To prevent this in the future, you should stretch and warmup before playing.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I always stretch and warm up before playing.

Last time, it went away after 4-5 days. However, I was barely able to get out of my bed for the first 2 days.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Next time see a chiropractor ASAP and you'll return to full function faster.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If you're in pain, then you want to avoid sitting. Standing and gentle walking is OK, and lying down is OK, but sitting tends to put pressure on your lower back.

Yes, you should see a medical professional: a physiotherapist or a doctor who knows something about sports medicine. If this has happened twice, it will probably happen again if you don't change anything. Your physio or doctor can talk about your lifestyle, factors that might put you at risk, stretching (not just before playing, but every day) and core strength exercises to help avoid future injuries, and maybe some other things that will help.

6. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

what is your age if you don't mind me asking?
    I sometimes get back pains if I over extend on some drives (imagine a bird getting pass you on your backhand side and reaching to drive it back). But this was because I aggravated an old injury from skiing.
    Generally, to avoid injury, do adequate warm up and cool down exercises.
    Another thing to help with back pains is to buy foam rollers (http://0.tqn.com/d/sportsmedicine/1/0/V/7/rollIT.JPG)
    Put it on your lower back as you lie down on it. Roll back and forth from your lower back (your butt) to your shoulder blades area.
    This will help you stretch out your muscles that seize up or are tightly contracted.

All in all, seeking professional medical advice is always the safest route to go. Especially if the pain is recurring. An "online diagnosis" can only go so far...

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Why not try a chinning bar but use it as a hanging bar?

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm 24, just not in very good shape. I used to be really competitive at the sub national level but had to stop due to arm injury.

9. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

see a doc beta

10. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Dude, I'm the exact same situation (23). I used to be very competitive, then shoulder injury. Back injury from skiing. Then broke my ankle from basketball. Never the same...
    I've been slowly getting back my fitness levels but probably can't compete at the same level any more...

11. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I know how you guys feel. One day about a month ago after 2 consecutive 3 hour badminton sessions, I woke up on the 3rd day with a lot of lower back pain with the symptoms you described. It probably had to do a lot with the over exertion in addition to imperfect form in my footwork when really leaning for shots or lunging too far. More importantly though, it's likely I didn't have strong enough core muscles to withstand my body weight during these lunges and leans during badminton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwsuPVZeZo

Take a look at this video, it's consists of core exercises you can do in your own home. My back pain has reduced after some rest so I'm starting these exercises to increase my core strength. I started these a week ago but I'll continue to do them throughout the week and see how it affects my pain after badminton.

12. mangbuhril

mangbuhril Regular Member

Executive
    my doctor has advised me to take Myospaz Forte , after breakfast and after dinner...

13. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

As someone suffering from severe back & hip pain for well over a year. Been through 2 GP, 3 PT but nothing helped until I saw a chiropractor. Just one section and the pain and muscle spasm were much relieved. Even though you might feel better after awhile, if the same pain comes back, do see a chiropractor asap. Most GP aren't trained to pinpoint this type of problems and would prescript you some pain killers which will do you no good in the long run. IMHO any drugs should be used only as the last resort. Also, do learn the proper badminton techniques and don't push yourself too far beyond. You will thank yourself as you have grown old.

14. mangbuhril

mangbuhril Regular Member

Executive
    You're right, it's best to go to the experts.

15. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I went to see a physiotherapist, hoping to relief some occasional knee and shoulder pain at the same time. I hope it will work :)

Thanks for all the advices, chiropractor will be next!

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Save your time and money, see a chiro first!

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Do you guys happen to know where can we buy the back support for badminton purpose? The one used by wang yi han or taufik hidayat.. I recently had a very bad back pain after my badminton session.. whenever i walk, i can feel the pain though, and i can feel the pressure is coming from the left leg lower back area...

18. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

19. visor

visor Regular Member

George, if your back hurts, don't play. Not even with a support wrap. You should get it looked at by a physio or chiropractor.

Pros only get back pain from overuse from excessive training and playing. And since that's their job, they have to play thru pain and minor injuries, so that's why they may need the support.

For us recreational players, we should not force ourselves to play thru pain. So go get it looked at!

#19 visor, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    improper sitting posture may also be one of the causes.

[video=youtube;h2abFgAcLc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2abFgAcLc8[/video]