New member looking for racket recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by dbswansea, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Hi everyone, I'm Dave and I've just started playing doubles in the Swansea area league.

I'm looking for advice (lots really but this time on a racket), I currently use a Carlton Isoblade Ti which seems to suit me. It's head light with a flexible shaft.

I don't struggle with power as I used to be a powerlifter and tend to use too much power in some shots.

As I'm now playing in a league, i'd like an upgrade and was thinking of the Vapour Trail S-lite as it has similar specs to my current one.

I'd appreciate any advice, is it the wrong type for me etc?

Been playing around 9 months and still very new to the tactics and technical side of things.

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, it is always better to invest your money on shoes rather an on racket since you have already had a racket now.

Your statement of Too much power on some shots might indicate the following :
    1. Your current tension is quite low, What is your current tension now?
    2. Racket might be too flexible or/& too head light for your power

You might increase the tension of your string gradually & see the outcome. Additionally you could always borrow your friend racket & decide whether it suits you or not.

Please find & try any of the following from your fellow badminton friends :
    Yonex VT70, Yonex Arc 7, & Victor Mx60 or 70

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I think it's more to do with me being 5'6 and I need to work on my hitting technique to get over the shuttle when striking it.

As for shoes, I use an indoor football trainer with an insole bought to add more impact protection. These are great for lateral stability and look better than most of the court shoes on the market.

I'm going to ask the coach at one of the clubs I play at later about racket choice, he normally has a few there. Maybe he'll have a stiffer one.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm going to enjoy this site.