double formation question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by a|extan, Mar 8, 2012.

1. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i have a double formation question, any expert can give their view?

say me n my partner is in double attacking formation... i am cover front...he is at the rear....more on the left.... if he lobs the shuttle to left.....rear of opponent court....

what is the most ideal reaction...of me?

1) go to right to cover n switch to defending...left and right formation..(prevent opponent attack)

2) go to left front to cover n switch to defending...left and right formation (prevent opponent drops front left)

3) continue at current position.

4) any other u can suggest?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Normally, the best option would be (1), as this allows you to defend the full width of the doubles court against your opponent's smashes and drops. This should be your "standard" reaction.

Occasionally, if you realise that your opponents are in trouble, you might maintain your front-and-back position in anticipation of a drop shot.

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Move back a bit to the right, but not necessarily to the middle of the court. More like a bit behind the service line on the right side.
    If the return is a cross drop you will be ready for it, if it is a cross clear u have time to move back n retrieve it.

However, this only applies for beginner/intermediates. For advance doubles the golden rule is when the return shot is going upwards (ie clears) always spread out to be ready for defend, just as Gollum said.

#3 sautom88, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012