Heavy head rackets or Light head Rackets ( Smashing )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jason123, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I know many people would say that heavy head rackets are the best for smashing as it creates more momentum.

However because I am a beginner, will I benefit more from a light head racket?

Heres my reasoning:

I've been playing for around 6 months. So you could say my wrists are fairly weak. Because of this will be easier for me to maneuver/flick a light headed racket then a heavy headed one and create more power from it, rather then sometimes struggle with a heavy headed racket.

Other info

I'd say Im pretty decent, I can now play against people that have been playing for 2 - 4 years.

I play 6-8 hours a week, I play doubles and I'm neither a back court or a net player I like to go with the flow when playing.

I can make a nice *swooshing* sound when I Smash
    :D

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

This is the racket that I use:
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex...2008_Racket_p/racket-yonex-at250-ltd-2008.htm

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

u r using a head heavy racket..as in armortec

depends what u like..

generally for doubles... head light racket such as nanospeed series r more popular to some..

ultimately... u decide what u want..

3. Trilitai

Trilitai Regular Member

I'm almost have the same situation as you. Recently I just joined back badminton (stopped 5 years) and my wrist has been weak. I have been using my friend head heavy racket and find it's not so good for double. I'm slow and my hand get tired fairly quickly. So just few days ago I went online and bought a new yonex nanoray racket. It is a head light racket. I will see if the new racket will improve me.

The best is to try both the head heavy and light rackets. Buy some cheap or mid price one. See which one you like. Head heavy definitely good for smashing. But in my case, it's pointless for me because I'm slow and get tired when playing double.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've always advised novices to play with a slightly heavier head racquet than they normally would prefer. Obviously not excessively head-heavy. The reason for this is to ensure a) you develop the correct stroke and technique b) develop strength, particularly in your wrist and fingers.

This tends to help a lot with developing a good backhand too. Once you've progressed past a beginners level, then start look at changing to a racquet that suits your play.

But I wouldn't go with the conventional advice of head heavy for singles and head light for doubles - particularly if you've only just started playing.

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    head heavy is good for power if you have enough power to generate momentum quickly.
    This fairly weak guy I know plays with AT700 (very head heavy) because he thinks he is more powerful with it. What he doesn't realize is he's only powerful when someone lifts sky high for him to setup properly and take a big swing. However, in a fast paced doubles game, he never has a chance to wind up and ends up hitting like a schoolgirl.

Gpower likes this.
  6. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

What percentage of power increase is there from a light head and heavy head racket?

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Zero

Depends how you play.

8. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I mean when smashing, how much faster would a shuttle go if they smashed with both rackets

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

See post #5 ;) ...

10. AzrinRain

AzrinRain Regular Member

Depends.
    If you have good arm strength and a good, consistent technique,
    Head heavy racket will make the shuttle go faster compared to head light.
    If you have average (or below avg) arm strength, and not-so-consistent technique,
    Head light racket might make the shuttle go faster compared to head heavy.

You should try them out and see which suits you.
    No offence, but just relying on questions, and not willing to explore what you don't know won't get you far.

11. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

head heavy is good for power if you have enough power to generate momentum quickly.
    This fairly weak guy I know plays with AT700 (very head heavy) because he thinks he is more powerful with it. What he doesn't realize is he's only powerful when someone lifts sky high for him to setup properly and take a big swing. However, in a fast paced doubles game, he never has a chance to wind up and ends up hitting like a schoolgirl.

^man i love my at700...and amen take myself a year ago i wouldnt have ben able to even swing that racket without tearing my wrist hahah

12. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I guess there is no golden rule but my way of picking a racket is to see how I do with the one I have now. If my wrist got tired in an hour or found myself sluggish, I switched to overall lighter or lighter head racket. This could be 3U/4U head heavy or 2U/3U even balance. If I was unable to clear properly, I would pick a less stiff racket. How much one can pull from the racket really depends on one's skill and fitness. I know from experience that using a racket that is too stiff or head heavy for you can result in wrist/shoulder injury quickly. Now I use a even balance medium racket and can play for hours w/o arm injury.