strange noises are coming from my racket

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by diverdan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I've been playing for a few years know but this is something completely new to me. A couple of nights ago i was playing in a match and went gore a smash. I connected fairly well but the sound I got was like a string breaking. I checked my strings and they were intact. I checked my racket gore cracks and that was fine. My question is this. I use an arc8dx with bg66um at 28lbs. Do you think the noise is produced when the strings are losing their tension or is it something else? It has done it a couple of times and I would have thought if the racket is cracked it would have imploded by now.

2. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

its probably just a string moving within the grid perhaps. sometimes even if i middle the shuttle i dont always get a clean sound...maybe my racket face was angled or a string slid a bit out of place.

3. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    All strings look in place. It was a weird sound though. Almost like the racket cracked but I've checked it over and it looks fine. How do you check if a racket has cracked?

4. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Could be the cone is coming loose but not quite detached. Happened to both of my less than a year old AT600 & Cab35. If that's the case, you can rest the racket for awhile, then flick it quickly near your ear. It will produce a cracking sound once or twice then gone. This will get more frequent and eventually to a point the cone might either totally detached or the wood underneath would crack due to the lack of cone support.

My conclusion is that the glue wasn't applied evenly and sufficiently in the factory. The truth is all my MIJ YY rackets had similar problem even back 2 decades ago and I had to re-glue them all with epoxy. Interestingly my 3 MIT Cab8200/8600 are still perfectly fine after a few years of regular use. So much for MIJ quality.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    The cone is fine. Maybe Im being hypersensitive to this problem but it does feel like there is a loss of power on certain areas of the string bed. Almost like a string has snapped. I think i will get it restrung and let an expert run their eyes over it. Going to try bg80p to see how it compares with bg66um but I must say I do like the bg66um better than the bg80. Its a far more responsive string and I get better better placement using it. Hope the bg80p is just as good! Thanks for your replies and help.