Gamma Progression ST II - Need help

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yan.v, Mar 9, 2012.

1. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Hello!

I currently own an Eagnas ST-250 machine, which I hate! It works ok, but with the terrible customer service I received and the state the machine when I received it (felt used), I have no confidence anymore when I string a racket.

The racket of someone I string for broke like 2 months ago. I'm almost certain it's not my fault just because of all the precautions I take and because the guy is one of those guys who throw their rackets on the ground when they play badly. BUT I still feel like it could be because of the machine, just because of the brand.

So, to get to the point, I've been thinking about buying another machine and I could get a Gamma Progression ST II for about 500$. (Not buying from this link)
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?pcode=STII

I need you all's advice on whether I should buy it or not. I would also like to know the answers to these questions:

Do you think it's a significant upgrade ?
    How easy is it to modify it for badminton rackets ?
    How much does it cost to modify it for badminton rackets ? (approximately)
    What exactly do I need to modify it and where can I find the pieces ?

I'm also looking at a Silent Partner (this one, not sure of model: http://i.imgur.com/tmNI6.jpg) for about 400$ or maybe a Pro's Pro Pilot, that would cost about 561$ with shipping, but without modifications and custom fees.

Thank you all for your time :)

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I can't edit more than one time :(

Now I'm wondering if I should pick the Silent Partner or the Progression II. I still have the same interrogations no matter which machine I end up choosing though <.<

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Ok, so I got told I have to be quick if I want to buy one of these machines. (sorry for bumping :( )

What would be a better buy ?

Gamma Progression ST II for 500$ or Silent Partner Jazz for 400$ ?

The latter one comes with the table, but not the gamma. However, the Gamma looks way better. I need to look for specs, but the Jazz specs are harder to find.

#3 yan.v, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

So far, these seem to be the differences between both machines:

Gamma Progression ST II
    4 independently adjustable mounting arms
    Plastic ConeLock
    Base with 2 large tool trays

Silent Partner Jazz
    Metal ConeLock
    Large tool tray
    Machine base
    It would SEEM like this one's mounting system can take badminton rackets.

Both have 6 point mounting systems, crank, fixed clamps.
    Even though the SP seems to have more things, the Gamma seems to be of better quality ?

This information is from Eagnas, so I'm not expecting it to be all true.
    http://www.eagnas.com/hyper360.html#jazz2
    http://www.eagnas.com/flash820.html#progst2

Still seeking for advice, and sorry for spamming this thread :p Kinda using it for personal record too.

Thank you :)

#4 yan.v, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gamma usually is associated with better quality.

are you getting these machines used?

there is an issue with the clamps. most of these machines comes with tennis clamps which have teeth too wide to clamp cross strings.

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Both of these machines are used, the SP was bought in 2009 and the Gamma in 2011. They were both used for about 20 rackets, owners describe them as "like new".

I know the clamps are for Tennis and I am looking to modify these machines so they can string badminton rackets, however I have no knowledge whatsoever about modding a stringing machines.

I asked these 3 questions about modifying the machines in my original post:
    How easy is it to modify them for badminton rackets ?
    How much does it cost to modify them for badminton rackets ? (approximately)
    What exactly do I need to modify them and where can I find the pieces ?

Maybe you know any of the answers :)

Thank you!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i only know for the Gamma.

you need two things to mod it for badminton. for the side support, there is a sleeve that slots into the current one to make it more suitable for badminton. (it works without it, but it is too big/deep). that sleeve is like $10.

for the clamps, Gamma has badminton/squash sized clamps. the problem is that i think they are in the region of $90 EACH.

the actual process is very simple. the only problem is that the cost of the above racks up to $200.

you can alternatively buy clamps from watdon, i think they are 40GBP each. and most people here will suggest going for the Chudek side support which probably go up to $60 or so with shipping.

i don't know anything about the SP.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Ok, thank you!

I would assume the costs to modify the SP would be about the same.

Aside from general quality, is there any feature that would be better (mechanically or efficiency wise) on one machine or the other ?

For now, I have an answer from the Silent Partner guy and I offered 450$ for the Gamma, still no answer.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I just received the second answer (for the Gamma), and they accepted my offer of 450$.

This stresses me so much hehe I can't stop thinking about it. I almost went to get the SP tonight, by impulsion.

So, Silent Partner Jazz for 400$ or Gamma Progression ST II for 450$, the choice is hard!

Anyone who has owned (or owns) one of these machines, what do you like about it ? What don't you like about it ?

Thank you all for reading for your time!

10. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    My bias is towards the Gamma machine (i own the 6004). You have the option to upgrade it to your hearts content: (gamma supports for badminton, Chudek side supports, Wise electronic tensioner). I have no experience with Silent Partner.

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Thanks everyone who helped, I ended up choosing the Gamma, and I don't regret it at all. I realized that the only thing that made me want the SP was that it came with the table and a cover, which I think looks more professional :p

I have a questions though regarding the adaptation for badminton, mostly regarding to the load spreaders.

I'd like to know how did you guys adapt the 12 o'clock support so a MBS load spreader can fit ? The support seems too thick for a load spreader. I do have the badminton plastic thingies, but those are too slim for them to fit tight in the load spreaders. For now I trimmed the red plastic thingy for it to fit tight in it.

Also, do you guys use the hourglass shaped thingy used to wrap the string around it before the gripper ? I did not have one on my other machine, so I'm wondering if it's just useful for tennis or if it's good for any stringing.

Thanks ^^

I will probably review the machine when I have some time if there is not already a review on these forums as well as a comparison with my Eagnas.

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Another question concerning the mounting system.

The side supports seem to be too high for the racket's throat and head to rest on the machine (see first image).

Is this normal ? Do I have to mount the racket in such way that it is a little elevated ? (see picture 2)

Also, still seeking advice to make the load spreaders fit (see previous post).

Thank you all :)

IMAG0019.jpg IMAG0021.jpg

13. DarthHowie

How to make load spreaders fit:
    Use a file (similar to a metal nail file) to widen the gap such that the load spreader can fit on the head post.

On my gamma 6004, my racket is fully suspended and does not rest on the mounts. See photos here.

The hourglass thing is called a Diablo. Purpose of it is so that the gripper pulls the entire string evenlly and level (it isn't pulling part of the string). You can read more about your machine by downloading the manual found here.

14. DarthHowie

Oh one other tip... If you are stringing any rackets where the 1st cross in the top is rather high (Yonex Nanospeed 9900, Victor Super Wave 37, etc) you'll find that your MBS load spreader may be in the way... You can get more space if you just remove the red padding for your head post.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. elevated is fine for mounting.

the side supports are what holding the racket in place. the 12/6 are only there to keep the mains from compressing the frame.

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Thank you for the answers!

Oh I know what it does, but I'd like to know mainly if it does make a big difference. I see a lot of machines that don't have one and it seems like it would take a little more time to string a racket using it opposed to not using it.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    depends on the design.

to me, the real advantage of the diablo is that it distribute the work of "holding" of the string away from the gripper, thus creating less stress on the string itself.

reason: the gripper holds the string by clamping together 2 plates that is around ... 2 inches long? i have seen in occasions that this potentially mar the coating of the string. esp when the string is entering the gripper at an angle.

the diablo, however, helps by holding the string by friction, and also adding another 2 inches of surface area to hold the string, thus taking out some of the work. the result is that the chances of damaging the string coating from the gripping is much much less.

this only works however, if the diablo is not moving (and thus not acting as a pulley) and also the surface is sufficiently grippy. neither of which happens with the Gamma diablo. which really puzzles me.

18. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

It would seem to me that if the diablo was made to not turn and be grippy, it would create an additional resistance between the racket and the gripper, thus decreasing the overall tension of the strings on the racket, no ?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. as the diablo is attached to the same structure as the gripper and the both the diablo/gripper move together.

20. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

You're totally right! :p Sorry!